ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I or SI exhaust resonator delete?

has anybody removed them and had undesirable results?

now that I have the M exhaust on the car I was thinking of creating a center section where the resonators are deleted and having it pass strait through, anybody ever removed theirs and had their tone destroyed or anybody would advise against it?

I guess its entirely reversible but just thought if ask before I started to see if I shouldn’t and save some cash.

thanks guys!

-C-
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

don't know if it's what you're looking for, but found this thread...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607479
      11-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

-c-, this is something that I'm thinking seriously about doing to mine. I'm looking for just a little bit more volume without drone. Two options which I'm trying to decide between: 1. Two straight pipe connectors or 2. go with an X pipe. Any thoughts? Results should be generally similar to the M but possibly more subtle with the single Si muffler.

Looking at the photos in the link you posted, I agree with the comment that it would have been cleaner and probably no more money to go from the flanges back with a new x-pipe. If you went with new flanges back with (initially) clamp connectors, the return to stock would be easy/cheap if you didn't like it. If you decide to keep, you could have the clamps removed and weld the joint.

Last edited by Incompatible; 11-30-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

It's on my list of things to get done this spring, I ran out of time this fall.

I realize it's a totally different engine, but when I had a VR6 GTI it had a similar exhaust setup with the muffler and then center section resonator. A lot of the VR6 guys love Borla but complained of drone when they removed the center resonator. So I got bored one day and went to a local exhaust shop and had them remove all of the stock pieces and then weld up a glasspack muffler where the old resonator was and put a Borla muffler on. My theory was that the glasspack would lower the resonance of the exhaust note without sacrificing air flow.

To date that is my favorite sounding car I've had the pleasure of driving. Extremely subtle on daily driving, with just a slightly deeper tone when accelerating from a stop. But when I'd get into the gas it would growl very, very nicely.

It seemed that using the glasspack in place of the heavy stock resonator had the same effect but with more sound output as exhaust gas flow increased.

So if you do just replace it with a straight pipe and find it's too lound / drones, I'd suggest trying a cheap-o glasspack inline with your muffler before going back to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

nadaclue, good info from first hand experience...very valuable. It got me thinking of another post I ran across a while back: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...=438627&page=2 Very applicable for -c- and his M configuration.

I'm wondering if there's enough room for an AR25 behind our secondary cats and replacing the OE resonator going into a 2525 muff? I don't see a way to fit in a 2525 XL with it's 22" body and 26" overall length.