ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
weeks252010
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5

I found where the clutch switch is and I was wondering before I take it out, is there any way to make sure the clutch switch is broken before taking it out or even after to save myself from buying a new one incase that isn't the problem. Also is there any thing I need to keep in mind when taking removing the clutch switch, any precautionary steps??
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #24
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Hmm. I wasn't really suggesting that you remove the switch, but rather test it for proper operation as it's a potential cause of the fault. I haven't looked closely at the switch, but it's either opening or closing a circuit that acts as a safety interlock to prevent the car from starting without the clutch being engaged. It should be possible to see if the circuit is open or closed with the clutch disengaged, and then see if the status (open/closed) changes with the clutch depressed. If the status doesn't change then that may have identified the fault. It's just one of the potential causes that need to be ruled out.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #25
weeks252010
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5

The only way to test the switch is to take it out, I thought?

After some very light research, it appears that BMW uses a magnetic switch on these cars. They're detecting initial clutch pedal movement (to disengage cruise control) and full clutch depression (to enable the start circuit) all with the same switch.

It has 4 wires/4 prongs however, I have not been able to find any info on which colored wire/numbered prong does what..
Appreciate 0