ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

3.0si Fan Shroud Removal

I am about to replace my oil cooler gaskets and don't know how much work it is going to be to remove the fan shroud. Has anyone done this and do you have any tips? I looked around and haven't seen any DIY or video on that step. Thanks, Hank.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

If you're talking the plastic cover over the radiator, my recollection is that it's pretty straightforward.

There's the two torx machine screws, one on each side, and then unscrew/pop out the plastic expanding rivets around the perimeter. It's probably a good idea to pick up a replacement set of the latter, as the heads/fasteners may strip out while unscrewing them, or they just break.

You'll probably want to back off the big torx inserts that hold the radiator in place before you re-install the cover, then snug them back up.

The expanding plastic fasteners will re-install easier and hopefully be better removable in the future if you put a (very small) dab of silicone grease on the threaded portion before inserting them.
      05-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

These are the plastic expanding rivet things....

05-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep

Thanks Karacticus - I don't really know what to expect so will probably just tear into it this weekend. It looks a little tight for space is all.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
onthe3rdday
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4C

The fan shroud is incredibly simple to remove. You will not spend more than 10-15 minutes. The radiator stays (LARGE TORX) dont get touched. Once the cover is off removing the fan assembly is a matter of one electrical connector and two screws up top. Super simple
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep

Thanks - got-r-dun yesterday. Front cover was a piece of cake - two of the plastic rivets broke on reinstall but they are in and holding. Once that was off I saw that the front brace made things very tight space-wise. Did not remove fan. Back bolt on filter housing was a bear - had to go buy a 1/4" swivel and 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. Should have had a 1/4" E10 socket but got-r-dun using my rigged up 3/8 socket. Back together, oil change, cleaned all up - about a six hour job - but I take my time. If had to could do it in two - but that's not the way I roll. More garage wall art too - name that road course.

Side note - I will never again turn the oil filter cap unless I am removing or installing it. I turned my about 1/8 turn (back and forth) after changing gaskets and before testing and it would not stop leaking - bad. Once I changed oil and had new o-ring in there it's all good again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0