ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
KronnikEffect
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 E85 3.0i N52

Bent Headlight support

Hello all, this is my first thread ever on this forum and I'm super excited to be a part of the community!

Unfortunately I was backed into by another car while at the grocery store (and of course no one saw anything and the cameras just happened to not be working)...

they broke my bracket and my reflector on my 2006 bmw z4 3.0i roadster and bent my headlight inward, i was wondering if there is any trick to help straighten it out, there is a gap between the headlight and the left side of the bumper where my bracket is. and its driving me insane!!

any help would be appreciated!

(I'll add pictures when i get off work today)

(Sorry it took so long for the pics I had a family emergency it detracted me from it, but everything's all good now!
Attached Images

Last edited by KronnikEffect; 05-02-2016 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronnikEffect
Hello all, this is my first thread ever on this forum and I'm super excited to be a part of the community!

Unfortunately I was backed into by another car while at the grocery store (and of course no one saw anything and the cameras just happened to not be working)...

they broke my bracket and my reflector on my 2006 bmw z4 3.0i roadster and bent my headlight inward, i was wondering if there is any trick to help straighten it out, there is a gap between the headlight and the left side of the bumper where my bracket is. and its driving me insane!!

Pics?

Might be able to point you to replacement parts on Realoem.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:47 AM   #3
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan
Quote:

Pics?

I thought we agreed on the hazing thing? Fine, help him and we will get the next one....
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I believe that the headlight bracket is $50-$60 bucks. I just did this and you can bend it back if your lucky it's a little more difficult if it's twisted just because of it's shape and the natural bends in it.
Pull the front bumper fascia and you can compare it to the right side.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
KronnikEffect
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 E85 3.0i N52

Yeah, it looks bent back but it looks like it has a slight twist creating a gap at the bottom of the headlight, is it just a basic like rubber mallet to bend it back or do I have to heat it up? (I've never done anything like this before and BMW said it'd be $1,500 to fix
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it looks bent back but it looks like it has a slight twist creating a gap at the bottom of the headlight, is it just a basic like rubber mallet to bend it back or do I have to heat it up? (I've never done anything like this before and BMW said it'd be $1,500 to fix
Best to get a full look. Bumper removal: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79994. Another with headlight.

Realoem.com provides parts views useful in identifying parts and ordering replacements. The are many vendors who are cheaper than OEM. I'd take it apart,find what you need, DIY, dealer as last resort.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan
Quote:

Pics?

I thought we agreed on the hazing thing? Fine, help him and we will get the next one....
Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronnikEffect View Post
The bracket itself is light almost sheet metal gauge that you can straighten somewhat by just grabbing it with a firm grip while it's still on the car but there is also some bracing that supports it that might be bent too. You don't need heat just maybe a mallet and some patience.

You have to pull the front bumper and headlight at the very least but it's easy to do for the most part (use video above). Pull it off and compare it to the shape of the bracket on the good side then take it to the bench to straighten it if you can, if not, the car is already apart to throw a new one in.
Appreciate 0