ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #23
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I'm a strong advocate of the "buy a cheap mitt and throw it away after each wash" idea.

At $2.00 per mitt, you can easily get loads of mitts for cheap and not have to worry that, after a few uses, your mitt is progressively getting contaminated with grit that will scratch your paint.
I wash my wash mitts every other car wash in the wash machine along with my microfiber clothes and towels. I also use the special microfiber wash soap to wash them. I have three mitts that I rotate through. They get changed every year.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Seems to me this is a good bet for the pressure-washer route.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

1600psi pressure washer, with mixing bottle and foam lance included for $119.
Stanley stuff also has easy lifetime warranty.

AutoGeek's prices seem like total robbery to me. They want $120 for a plastic bottle with some brass couplings and a nozzle on top of it.

2007 ///M roadster

Last edited by mikeinsf; 05-17-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I wash my wash mitts every other car wash in the wash machine along with my microfiber clothes and towels. I also use the special microfiber wash soap to wash them. I have three mitts that I rotate through. They get changed every year.
Hmmm. Good idea! But my wife would string me up if I did that!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #26
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm. Good idea! But my wife would string me up if I did that!

Why?

It is just like any other load you put into the wash.
I use the small load setting but also use the extra dirt setting. My normal car product wash has two mitts and six to 10 microfiber towels.

Just NO fabric softener when washing or drying....

Or you could use the following argument:
"I paid for the damn thing and I will have to buy you another one when this one breaks..."
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Why?

It is just like any other load you put into the wash.
I use the small load setting but also use the extra dirt setting. My normal car product wash has two mitts and six to 10 microfiber towels.

Just NO fabric softener when washing or drying....

Or you could use the following argument:
"I paid for the damn thing and I will have to buy you another one when this one breaks..."
lol Amen. I wonder if Huz-Z meant buying new towels and mitt every year(?). I follow a similar approach as you do except I have 2 mitts and several waffle weave towels (big towels at that!) for washing plus a bunch for buffing and polishing. I like to use the 'free' general purpose mf towels that I sometimes get free w/ my orders for cleaning windows. i don't trust them on my paint. I cycle thru new mitts and towels about every year.

When washing the mitts and towels, I keep the buffing and polishing towels separate from the drying towels. I have a mf wash now, but used to use a little bit of woolite. To be honest, I don't notice a difference. I also set my washing machine to 2nd rinse.
      05-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Its because I wash the car from the top down, and then use that same mitt to wash the wheels. So, the mitt is like ROTTEN with black brake dust. I figure the wife would flip if I threw that in the same washing machine that she uses for her fancy clothes. So, as the mitts are ony two bucks, I toss them and the wife lets me stay in the house!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I only replace my wash mitts every year. That's only about $8.00 for two.

I separate each grade of towels (paint, good cleaning, ratty) in their own plastic containers w/lids I get a WalMart. Everything is stored in plastic containers to keep the dust off of them. My polishing, waxing, buffing pads are stored in zip lock bags.

My 'good' MF towels do the waxing and polishing, plus I have an extremely thick/plush final buff towel. The final buff towel has its own container to be stored in.

I relegate the two year old MF towels to towels that clean the engine bay, door sills, hatch sills etc, etc.

I have three of the green 'guzzlers' drying towels. Two are 18" and one is 26". I find I use the 18" ones way more than the 26" one. These are also stored separately from the others.

I ran a thin string across the garage to hang in-use towels on when I am doing something to the car. If a towel touched the ground, it goes immediately goes into a "to wash" tray.

The cars get washed outside then pulled into the garage for drying and whatever else.

AutoGeek is my friend....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #30
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Its because I wash the car from the top down, and then use that same mitt to wash the wheels. So, the mitt is like ROTTEN with black brake dust. I figure the wife would flip if I threw that in the same washing machine that she uses for her fancy clothes. So, as the mitts are ony two bucks, I toss them and the wife lets me stay in the house!

I use soft brushes on the wheels.

One I get a Walmart, and the other at AutoGeek.

This is the best thing I have ever used on the wheels:
http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

Takes me about 15min to do the wheels... I also have a separate bucket that is only used for wheels. The other two buckets are Soap and Rinse.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #31
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I'm in Philly, so I'm using Ardex. I go to the warehouse to get it as it's only a pro item, but it might be available online.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #32
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Quote:
I use one of those Mr. Clean hand-held units that mixes Mr. Clean brand car soap with water. The unit allows you to spray water on the car, then switch to a soap spray, and back to a water spray to rinse off after you have washed. Its a dandy unit because you don't have to lug around a heavy bucket (or two) of water. The Mr. Clean soap is getting scarce so I'll have to switch to some other brand of liquid car soap.
Mr. Clean guns rock. The soap does what it's supposed to, but the filter to get all the minerals out of the water is great at not leaving spots. I'm not sure what some of you guys are talking about some products not leaving spots; most of that comes from your hose. I bought a crate of filters and some extra soap to last me since they stopped making it. Anybody know if there are there other water filters on the market like this?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #33
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

2 bucket wash system with everything Zaino from the wash to the polishes. I am very happy with the product...

I love to step up to a foaming lance wash system...still looking for something easier than 2 bucket system.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #34
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishman View Post
Mr. Clean guns rock. The soap does what it's supposed to, but the filter to get all the minerals out of the water is great at not leaving spots. I'm not sure what some of you guys are talking about some products not leaving spots; most of that comes from your hose. I bought a crate of filters and some extra soap to last me since they stopped making it. Anybody know if there are there other water filters on the market like this?
Groits, Autogeek etc have filters.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Based on the comments being expressed in other recent threads, why should I bother to look after my car?

After all, its only a lowly piece of shit SI.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #36
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5L

Quote:
Based on the comments being expressed in other recent threads, why should I bother to look after my car?

After all, its only a lowly piece of shit SI.
Beat me to it Huzz, save up your $2 in mitts over the years to come and buy a "real" Z4 and stop wasting your time or money on that Gorgeous piece of crap you have,,,,,,yawn
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #37
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

Yeah, while rain is good enough of a wash for an SI, I use a bunch of Meguiars products (shampoo, cleaner, polisher, wax, etc.).

The one product that I didn't like was the claybar thing. It stuck constantly, despite liberal use of the recommended "quik detailer" fluid.

Switching to a MF mitt and towels made a big difference, would not go back. I'm thinking of buying one of those orbital buffer machines next. All the manual labor may be a good workout, but it gets boring after a while.

Oh, the BMW shampoo is not too terrible either. I found a bottle somewhere and started using it when my regular supply ran out. Probably not worth its price though.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #38
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed^ View Post
The one product that I didn't like was the claybar thing. It stuck constantly, despite liberal use of the recommended "quik detailer" fluid.
I have used clay for years. If the clay/car is lubricated properly, and I sure it is, then you have a shit load of paint contaminants that the clay is pulling out and that is why it feels like it is dragging...
After the clay pulls the dirt out, it should feel silky smooth.

You cannot use too much lubricant.......
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #39
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

^ That's what sh... never mind.

Clay works wonders on paint. I am a born again user of clay. It's simply amazing how much contaminants it pulls up.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

^ word. Sometimes, it's downright nasty....especially behind the wheel wells.

I've been happy w/ Pinnacle's green clay bar and Meg's quik detailer (it's cheap, available everywhere, and does the job).
      05-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #41
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
With all my expensive car car products, I still use the cheapo Meg's clay bar that I get from any autoparts store or even WalMart..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #42
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I used Mother's and it worked great. Will give Meg's a try for comparison. Word of caution to those tuning in at home, if you drop it on the ground, throw it away.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #43
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Meguiar's clay bar sux as it drags and falls apart.. Mother's or clay magic bar's work much better and are usually a little cheaper. All are easily available in auto parts stores like AZ, or Advance.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #44
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Meguiar's clay bar sux as it drags and falls apart.. Mother's or clay magic bar's work much better and are usually a little cheaper. All are easily available in auto parts stores like AZ, or Advance.
Yes, sorry I have my companies all mixed up.

I use Mother's Clay bar...

I also use old clay for deep cleaning the windows...
Appreciate 0