ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
SloMo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible

Sound system keeps cutting out..

I bought an 03 z4 3.0l sport, with business CD. The previous owner had an aux input installed that is mounted on the panel under the climate controls. The system works fine usually but the last time I drove it, every few minutes it makes a static sounding pop sound and cuts out for a couple of seconds. This happens in every mode (radio/aux) etc and happens randomly every few mins.

Any ideas on what this is or what might cause it? Other times I've driven it and had no issues.

The car is in immaculate condition, otherwise.

Last edited by SloMo; 06-20-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
SloMo
Private
Rep

Someone must have faced this before, no ideas on what this could be? At random intervals the sound system stops for a second and sounds like it resets or looks for a CD and then continues. It happens in every mode
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport

Bump!

I too have this happen occasionally to my radio/nav as well. The nav screen will blink as if it has lost power and the radio/music will stop and then come back on. I haven't thought of it much lately as I don't really always have the radio on. And yes, it happens with radio on or aux input.

I figure I will pull the radio and make sure all connections are tight, but have yet to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
SloMo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorguy74 View Post
Bump!

I too have this happen occasionally to my radio/nav as well. The nav screen will blink as if it has lost power and the radio/music will stop and then come back on. I haven't thought of it much lately as I don't really always have the radio on. And yes, it happens with radio on or aux input.

I figure I will pull the radio and make sure all connections are tight, but have yet to do so.
Thanks, I figured maybe something like that so I tightened the wires yest. Will report back if anything changes. Btw don't pull the radio out, the easiest way is top pop open the panel under the climate controls and reach your hand around the back of the radio. Takes 1 sec as opposed to messing with those impossible clips on the air vents.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Alrighty - big moment! Total ramble, but most all related!

My screen was flickering while driving the other day (again), and it cut out and started rebooting, but at the same time, I smelled H2S and my throttle response started to quiver. I closed the nav to turn it off and the screen tried to reopen on its own/power up - at the same time I had the three amigos lights flashing on my dash - Abs, Brake and DSC. Crazy right?

So, based on what I found while searching:

I went and had my battery tested - it was dying/bad if not already gone. Roughly 4 year old battery.

Also, turns out my brake fluid reservoir was low - added til full. But, still had the 3 amigo lights plus nav shut down/reboot and throttle response shortness and surges. While test driving again, I got a high voltage alert on my detector and it shut off, plus when I connected my bluetooth OBD reader, it was registering up to 18V power spikes above 2K RPMs. Ouch.

Longer story short, after further in depth searching on these occurrences: possible failed voltage regulator on the alternator and/or bad alternator. I ordered a new VR, but will also have the Alt tested and rebuilt if necessary.

I don't drive the roadster more than once a week, so all this happening at once was very odd - but, it may have been giving me the signs of at least the electrical concerns a few times previously with the onset of the nav flickerings. The H2S smell occurred during the surges and was most likely the battery being overcharged/surge. Luckily, the drain tube was properly attached and no battery blow up.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The failing battery may have sent the voltage regulator 'round the bend.
      07-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
SloMo
Private
Rep

Interesting, thanks for the input. As of now, I reached back behind the radio and just tightened the connections as best I could, and so far I haven't had that issue. However, I also only drive my car couple of times a week very short distances, so time will tell if that was the issue or if it's more electrical failure like you're dealing with.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

New battery and voltage regulator. Done and all is well again. Alternator is just fine.
Appreciate 0