ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
refboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Installing aftermarket stereo - wiring question

Hi,

I am in the process of replacing the factory 10 speaker (non-dsp) head unit in my '05 Z4. I purchased the following:
  • Metra 99-9303 Single DIN Installation Kit for 2003-2008 BMW Z4 Series
  • Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
  • Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles
  • Metra 70-9003 Radio Wiring Harness for Audi/BMW/VW 2002-Up

Right now I am doing all the wiring connections between the receiver, steering wheel controller, and the Metra wiring harness. I am a little confused about the steering wheel controller. The Axxess ASWC-1 instructions are saying to connect the pink wire to pin 9 on the vehicle. However, the Metra wiring harness doesn't have a connection for the pin 9 location. Am I missing something? Or should I be wiring this slightly different? This was supposed to be the model specific instructions and the wiring harness is supposed to be the specific one as well.

A second question is around the wiring harness itself. It says I need to connect the fuse tap to a 12 volt accessory in the fuse box. I have read several posts by others doing this, but haven't heard them mention this process. Is it needed? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0