ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

seatbelt harness on M

I was wondering this weekend about a 4 or 5 point seat belt harness on my z4mc. I noticed the seats have seat belt guides on the outside to guide the shoulder strap. Anyone know if we can add the passenger seat belt guide to the driver's side chair, allowing the shoulder straps of a 4 point harness to fit in there?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
I was wondering this weekend about a 4 or 5 point seat belt harness on my z4mc. I noticed the seats have seat belt guides on the outside to guide the shoulder strap. Anyone know if we can add the passenger seat belt guide to the driver's side chair, allowing the shoulder straps of a 4 point harness to fit in there?
U need a harness bar or a half cage to use shoulder belts... No one makes a harness bar for our cars, so you would have to get one custom made.

I don't even know if you could use a harness system with the stock seats anyway. I'd bet not, but I could be wrong.

Look at me being the race seat / belt install guy today ! hahaha
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

You CANNOT use harnesses with the stock seats, and you CANNOT use harnesses without a roll cage, unless you want to die.
      11-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You CANNOT use harnesses with the stock seats, and you CANNOT use harnesses without a roll cage, unless you want to die.
Because dying SUCKS.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Wheelchairs suck too...
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Don't take this as a challenge. It's not. But why can't you use them with stock seats? What would make them more dangerous than the stock 3 point belt?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't take this as a challenge. It's not. But why can't you use them with stock seats? What would make them more dangerous than the stock 3 point belt?
3 point belt crosses you, 4 point doesn't. 4 point with stock seat = belts will just slide apart and you will go flying forward as if you had no belts. 4 and 5 points have to be held in place.
      11-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm definitely not completely thought out, right now. In my minds eye, I was seeing the stock seat, with the original seat belt guide, plus an additional seat belt guide retrofitted from the passenger seat, on the inboard portion of the backrest. This would then guide the two shoulder belts like the cutouts in some racing seats. The harness would then be connected to the body or to a chassis bracing. With the retractable tray out of the way, the harness could be mounted to a chassis brace or to the chassis itself in the trunk.
Would this still not satisfy a safe installation?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

All kidding aside....They're not designed this way for a reason.

A racing seat is specially designed for the harnesses to hold you back directly from behind, at your exact shoulder height as well. If the straps are mounted higher than your shoulders, it will drive your body down in an impact. This is also why a 5 point is better than 4 point as well, so you have the anti-sub strap to help stop this. You can't use one with the stock seat.

The way you are describing your idea would have the shoulder straps bending around the seat, instead of holding you back from directly behind your body. Seems like your body would just pop out forward easily between the straps in an impact.

The lap portion must also be anchored at a specific angle to your hips as well. I doubt that mounting to a stock seat would give you this perfect geometry needed either.

Another issue, even if you had a racing seat and the harness mounted perfectly, is the lack of a roll bar. If you rolled your car bad enough and you were strapped into the seat with a 4 or 5 point, you would crush your head and break your neck, as a 3 point strap will let your body move in towards the center of the car. The 4/5 point harness wouldn't let you move at all.

Are you willing to risk your life on a cobbled together seat and set up ? Not really something I would risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm definitely not completely thought out, right now. In my minds eye, I was seeing the stock seat, with the original seat belt guide, plus an additional seat belt guide retrofitted from the passenger seat, on the inboard portion of the backrest. This would then guide the two shoulder belts like the cutouts in some racing seats. The harness would then be connected to the body or to a chassis bracing. With the retractable tray out of the way, the harness could be mounted to a chassis brace or to the chassis itself in the trunk.
Would this still not satisfy a safe installation?
I knew exactly what you had in mind, no it won't work, you will die.