ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
loyddobbler88
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0i

Question Z4 Slower and Slower at turning over?!?!?

Hey everyone, I've been having this problem with my 2003 z4 that has been getting steadily worse and worse. I've brought it to my mechanic and he cant figure it out either. I'm in desperate need of some good advice, here's the dilema: Everytime I step foot in my car and insert the key and try to turn it on, 1 out of 7 times the engine will actually turnover and start, otherwise its just keeps turning and turning and embarrassing the shit out of you when you are trying to leaving a parking lot. My mechanic told me to turn the Key in the second position until the all the lights come on on the dash and then turn the key all the way from there to start. Well I know that even if this works, its not normal because my car use to always start up as soon as you inserted the key in the ignition and just turned it all the way. However, going by his advice, now when I insert my key in the second position, the stereo comes on and the seat belt light and nothing else for literallly 20-25 seconds!!! And if you try to start the car inbetween that time, it will not turn over. Then finally after 20-25 seconds , WALLA, all the lights come on on the dash and BAM you can turn the key from there and it will start. As I mentioned before its taking longer and longer for the lights to come on the dash to turn the Key. So I hear it might be the immobilizer or ignition going bad, But I am honestly sick of playing trial and error with this car, and Its pissing me off!!! Please If any one knows what this may be or have had this happen to there car, please let me know, I appreciate all the help I can Get !!! Thanksso much
PS!! I made a video of the car doing this, Check it out!! Thanks again :

Last edited by loyddobbler88; 04-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Moral of this post: Post a video!

Unfortunately I cannot help you
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

I have no idea bro!! sorry
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Did your mechanic do some basic tests of the battery, charging, and electrical system? If not, have a look here, sounds like a place to start.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

Check out this link --

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1602096
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

i had the same issue.. i ended up having to replace the starter
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
i had the same issue.. i ended up having to replace the starter
That doesn't seem like a starter issue to me. It seems to crank fine. If the starter was acting up wouldn't it be intermittent failure to crank? His issue almost seems like a fuel pump issue(as if it isn't sending fuel to the injectors so won't start). Almost certainly electrical. I wonder what the connection is to the gauge cluster light delay. Post up if you find a solution. The link above seems like a good possibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Other cars used to have a device that sensed vehicle roll-over. When the vehicle rolled, the fuel pump would not work.
Sometimes the device would fail, preventing flow of gas.

Hope this helps. I no longer have a Z4M, and don't know if this applies...but thought I would share just in case.

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 04-05-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Ignition sounds good-( ie:coils), cranking power sounds good.......the lights taking so long to post might be a sign of sensors going intermittent or bad.

If you have a mechanic that can run a diagnostics scan....SOMETHING should show up .

It may end up being something even ECU related.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
loyddobbler88
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0i

Still no fix?

Hey Everyone, I really apprecite all of you insight, I was away for the past 2 weeks and just now was able to try all of your theories and still no luck. I actually forgot to mention this but it may be of help, the ignition is very stiff when you put the key in and turn it, and it never use to be like that, so you all think it might be the ingnition going bad? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyddobbler88 View Post
Hey Everyone, I really apprecite all of you insight, I was away for the past 2 weeks and just now was able to try all of your theories and still no luck. I actually forgot to mention this but it may be of help, the ignition is very stiff when you put the key in and turn it, and it never use to be like that, so you all think it might be the ingnition going bad? Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Ignition sounds good-( ie:coils), cranking power sounds good.......the lights taking so long to post might be a sign of sensors going intermittent or bad.

If you have a mechanic that can run a diagnostics scan....SOMETHING should show up .

It may end up being something even ECU related.
^This. It could be the ignition, but a scan with a proper set of tools that does a full check of all modules should turn up any faults (current or stored). I'm not talking about a simple OBDII tool, but one that uses the right head unit and BWM software (GT1 or equivalent).
Appreciate 0