ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
anyone know how many hours to expect for the install?
On an M? About 2 hours since you'll need to remove the center section of the exhaust pipes. And you'll need new exhaust gaskets too, they cost about $40-50 total.

About those C-Clips, I usually install them with the opening facing down to prevent it from rocking itself loose. Or you can get the new C-Clip design used on the 1 series, those have an extra "notch" that prevents it from coming loose without flipping that notch up first.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #24
Rustycat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Just wanted to comment on my experience adding the UUC Magnum stainless steel 27 oz shift knob to the EVO3 short shifter.
The Magnum shift knob is large.
They caution that if you have than large hands, it may not be the right knob for you.
Well, I don't have small hands and the weight and heft of the Magnum knob makes shifting smoooooth as silk. A totally different and refined experience that demolishes any criticism of the notchiness or stiff shift of the 6 speed transmission.
My only little small complaint re the knob is the edge of the stainless steel around the
plastic top insert feels a little sharpe and proud of the plastic insert.
As I said, it is a great synergizer to the EV03 and it will have you sifting just for the fun of it, ggg.
Lew
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #25
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

fatmatt0116,

So what are your thoughts on the shifter? I had mine put in the same time as the CDV delete. I don't have an M but still was a night and day difference in terms of precision shifting. When driving in spirited mode she slips right into 3rd from 2nd and down to 4th from 5th without any problems.

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #26
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

The shifter is okay. I feel like they could have shortened the throw significantly more and the height is not as adjustable as I would like it to be. The shifts are definitely smoother though and the car is definitely easier to drive because of it.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I have the UUC SSK, Option 1 mounts, and the BMW Performance knob. I'm loving how it shortened the throw, and it definitely makes everything feel smoother and much more solid. I actually also had the DSSR installed, and loved the "solid" and heavier feel, but long story short, I had some issues with it in my car that caused it to shift everything on gate to the right (1st sat where 3rd used to be) and that was too annoying for me so I removed it, but I do miss the heavier feel.

Overall, I recommend the SSK. I'm running it at stock height and it feels perfect. Shifts are smooth and short and really make rowing through the gears much more fun. Could UUC customer service be better? Yeah, took them almost 1.5 months to get me my product, when I had my issue with the DSSR, the guy on the phone was very rude...but he also solved my problem and even offered a fix for it, and like everyone says, no email contact in this day and age is beyond me. I understand why people won't give them their business, and I'm on the fence on if I will order more of their products in the future if there are other similar options on the table, but if I were to base it on just the product itself, I have no problems with it and think they make great stuff!
Appreciate 0