ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Koni/Eibach installed

I have a 2004 3.0i with M sport suspension and just installed Koni shocks and Eibach springs. My ride height before was 14" for both fronts and rears as measured from the center of stock 18" wheel to the wheel arch. My ride height after is 13.75" in the front and 13.25" in the rear. Eibach advertises a 1.2" drop, so that should be a 0.6" drop for me since I had the M sport suspension. Any reason why my rear dropped more than my front?

Attached is the list of additional parts the shop installed (I supplied the Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Meyle FCABs and Rogue Engineering RSMs).
Attached Images

Last edited by Twixboy; 08-26-2015 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: added picture
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't have any good before/after shots, but here are a couple from my cellphone. You can see the rears are a little lower, but the angle isn't good to see the front.
Attached Images

Last edited by Twixboy; 08-26-2015 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: added pictures
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I had the same reaction so I swapped in a 15mm thick rear spring pad to raise the rear and dropped the front some more with a lowered spring perch.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I had the same reaction so I swapped in a 15mm thick rear spring pad to raise the rear and dropped the front some more with a lowered spring perch.
I know, you warned me before. But I'm not paying another $400 for labor, haha.

Interesting to note they used a 3mm front spring pad and a 5mm rear spring pad. Are those the stock sizes?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Yah it does help having tools and a place to work on them.
The rear pads are not hard to do in your driveway though and really all is required is to unbolt the lower shock mount and r&r the upper pads.

Just be safe about jacking and securing the car before getting under it.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Yah it does help having tools and a place to work on them.
The rear pads are not hard to do in your driveway though and really all is required is to unbolt the lower shock mount and r&r the upper pads.

Just be safe about jacking and securing the car before getting under it.
I've got a nice 2 car garage and a big tool collection. I just don't like working on the car as much as I like working on the house. It's a fear I've had since I was a kid when my dad almost got killed when our Plymouth Grand Voyager (yes, the one with wood trim) slipped off the jack/stand. I won't do much more than oil changes, but my dad won't even open his hood anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Took me all of an hour to do both sides on the rear
The fronts take a little more because of having to disassemble the struts/springs.
Worth the effort in my book
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Aftermarket suspensions rarely maintain the factory rake angle. Like others mentioned, swap out to a thicker rear spring pad. It honestly won't take long and any decent shop should charge one hour labor (and that's rounding up) if you wanted to pay for it.
      08-27-2015, 12:35 AM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I thought rear springs/pads were a snap.
Had my Son put his foot on the caliper and push down while I did the R&R.
Then about a year later GuidoK scared my with this RTFM moment.
According to the TIS (which I usually read, but in this case obviously didn't), you're supposed to disconnect the sway bars and 1/2-shafts.
Just sayin'.

I'll be doing an oil change in a few weeks and I'm going to have a good long look at the end links and boots.

From the TIS:
Necessary preliminary tasks:
• Remove rear wheel
• Remove output shaft from rear differential
• Remove stabilizer from rear axle carrier
• Remove stabilizer link bracket on relevant side from control arm
• If necessary, remove jointed rod from sensor lever of ride-height sensor

I did the first and last.
      08-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

I did some searching on this topic and apparently there's a 1.7x factor between spring pad thickness and ride height? If I swap out my 5mm pad for a 15mm pad, will that difference of 10mm (0.4") result in an actual increase in ride height of 0.7" in the rear?

Will moving to a thicker pad also increase ride comfort? I had my Konis set at 25% from the softest setting for daily driving and I think it actually feels more comfortable than my stock suspension, although that might be due to my OEM shocks being almost shot.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
I did some searching on this topic and apparently there's a 1.7x factor between spring pad thickness and ride height? If I swap out my 5mm pad for a 15mm pad, will that difference of 10mm (0.4") result in an actual increase in ride height of 0.7" in the rear?

Will moving to a thicker pad also increase ride comfort? I had my Konis set at 25% from the softest setting for daily driving and I think it actually feels more comfortable than my stock suspension, although that might be due to my OEM shocks being almost shot.
Yup I actually found the ride at 50% too soft and increased the rate just short of full stiff.
Not harsh at all......could be the pad thickness, probably not though
Appreciate 0