ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #67
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
LOL - for $10 shipped to your door.....it is hard to beat. I would not drive to Lowes to save $10....let alone $5. To each his own!
I guess that is where we differ. I would pay an extra $20 just to make it myself.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #68
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Thank Finnegan! I was having trouble finding the post I got the info for parts from. If memory serves me correct I think I just took out my clutch stop, compared it eye to eye at the hardware store and found the right part that way.
You're welcome! Seems matching the threads would be pretty easy. One could aways find a nut that fit the new piece and test it against the stock stop too.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #69
JetBlackE46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

If you plan to DIY, be sure to get the correct metric bolt size.

M10 x 1.5 40mm

The SAE bolts catch when screwed in about 1/2 inch and get stuck.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #70
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

I just ordered one, but I'm skeptical. Doesn't this mod only benefit people who smash their clutch past the optimal shift point?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #71
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
I just ordered one, but I'm skeptical. Doesn't this mod only benefit people who smash their clutch past the optimal shift point?
Yes and no, it gives you a hard stop right at the point where your clutch engages so you have less travel. This makes it a lot easier to feather in the gas and release the clutch very consistently. Makes you just have one less thing you have to think/worry about IMO.

For some it takes away the hard/bouncy shifts.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #72
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I suppose if you don't actually fully depress the clutch pedal you may be able to get away without a longer stop rod. I do fully depress the pedal, and I always have. The longer stop rod allows me to continue to do so and also have the other pedals at an appropriate distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #73
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Just ordered

I've put 1000 miles on my 2006 Z4MR. My shifts are a lot better than my first 100 miles. Hoping this clutch stop will help. Now to do the CDV.

Whats best, buy a replacement CDV with larger opening, or direct line in ? My local indy told me he'd direct line in, but on inspection during oil change, decided that it was going to bent the lines too much and he feared there was not enough length in the line. I'd do it, but not sure how to bleed after.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #74
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
I've put 1000 miles on my 2006 Z4MR. My shifts are a lot better than my first 100 miles. Hoping this clutch stop will help. Now to do the CDV.

Whats best, buy a replacement CDV with larger opening, or direct line in ? My local indy told me he'd direct line in, but on inspection during oil change, decided that it was going to bent the lines too much and he feared there was not enough length in the line. I'd do it, but not sure how to bleed after.
There is plenty of slack in the line.
MANY of us have done it that way.

If you do it right by pinching the line close to the fitting , bleeding isn't necessary
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #75
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I don't like bleeding. I'm going to get the front end up and do this. Just ordered a BMW CPV HIGH TEMP VALVE SEAL on Amazon sold by M3 CPV O-Ring. During oil change he detected small oil leak at the valve, was shopping for new one, found a seal that is of better material than OEM. Will I have much oil leak when removing ?

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 01-23-2017 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #76
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
I don't like bleeding. I'm going to get the front end up and do this. Just ordered a BMW CPV HIGH TEMP VALVE SEAL on Amazon sold by M3 CPV O-Ring. During oil change he detected small oil leak at the valve, was shopping for new one, found a seal that is of better material than OEM. Will I have much oil leak when removing ?
Another vote for "plenty of slack in the line". Just do it.

On the CPV O-ring change, not much oil will leak out (I don't think it was even near 1 ounce). I bought a new CPV plug when I did mine in case the flathead of the existing one got mangled on removal. Have a shop rag on hand to soak up what first leaks out and then quickly just get the new one threaded in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:47 PM   #77
Boosted 1
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe, Gx470, M2 PE

Another for plenty of slack in line!
I bought the modified version (MISTAKE!!!). Save your money. Simply Clamp the line, unscrew, remove cdv, screw back together. That's it. I didn't lose any fluid and never had to bleed it. Also put in a clutch stop the same day.

Last edited by Boosted 1; 01-23-2017 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #78
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
CDV and CPV at the same time. One good JACKING, Two good releases of FRUSTRATIONS !
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #79
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
CDV and CPV at the same time. One good JACKING, Two good releases of FRUSTRATIONS !
Lol.... Just what are you up to
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #80
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
You should have done the M5 weighted lighted shift knob while you were at it.
Sounds like it would have been a good time to pull your knob.
      02-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #81
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
First off, keeping in line with my getting things off....Old flat OEM clutch stop out, new Clutch Stop in. Well made, sturdy, with a good meaty pad. A few adjustments and I took it right to the point that the car would not start, then maybe 2 turns, tightened it up with included stop nut....PERFECT, really like the shorter throw. Looking into Quick Lift. My stone floor in the garage, is a challenge. 120 year old Cracker House near Indian Rocks Beach has it's drawbacks. Used some lumber to step the car up to get jack under car worked, but didn't feel safe. My Indy quoted me $ 150 for the CPV and will do the CDV direct delete at the same time. I think the combination of the Clutch Stop and CDV removed will get me liking shifting again. Yes I love grabbing that knob. What is the 6 on my shifter for ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #82
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Did both the CDV and the CPV at the same about a week ago. Absolutely love it! Only thing that gave me trouble, like the previous poster, was getting the car high enough safely. Luckily the wife helped and by using two jacks we stepped it up high enough to set it on the top of metal ramps. Took about 30mins to set up and only 2 to do the job. +1 for the clamp method, no bleeding required. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:10 AM   #83
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

There's a thread in here somewhere showing my 12" 2x4 plank "custom" jack pad that I use to lift mine one side at a time at the pinch welds.
Set it on standard jack stands using my "custom" 1x2 jack stand adapters.
Even at my age I can get it up in a few minutes.
      02-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #84
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I've looked at a ton of lifting options. Used a 2x4 on top of trolly jack once I made my temporary wood step ramp. My stone garage bottom is covered in a thick rubber mat I salvaged from a neighbor who had it as a decorative pond bottom, then I have the whole thing carpeted. This however will not allow the trolly wheels to creep, while the jack rises. I used a scrap sheet of metal under the jack, but the wheels started cutting into the metal. I need to have some 1/4 inch steel plates, long enough to have the entire jack on, to let it roll, so as to keep it under the jack point. I did find adapter pieces that are shaped to fit into the slot of the side lifting points. I got it up nice and high, just felt that my unlevel floor was a bit iffy. I also found a company that make pits. Fl water tables don't let you have much depth till you hit water and I'm one mile from the Gulf of Mexico....I could make some improvements to the stone bottom, then use my standard 25# plate weights for a base under each jack stand. that way I could get the car up on all four side jack points, level and safe. The $ 150 quote from my local Indy, for the CDV and CPV isn't sounding too bad right now though. Plus the shop is a 10 minute walk from the house
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #85
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Don't think I ever posted in this thread. But lets just say a clutch stop was the reason I ended up getting a $640 speeding ticket... I was having way too much fun.
      02-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #86
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
" pinch welds " ? detailed explanation please. The rectangular shaped side jack points with the hollow middle I know are the right point to use for the the jacks, I used the center jack point for the lift, after my " custom wooden steps. ( 1x4, 2x4, 2-2x4, 4x6 ) I placed them behind the front tires, walked it up, carefully placed wheel chucks behind rear tires, so I could not back up and fall off, which would crush the front skirt. Since I could not get my trolley jack to properly travel across at the center lift point, I placed a 10" 2x4 onto trolley and lifted the car up fairly high, from the side pad. For $34 I did find online a pad, made to precisely fit into this slot. Got the car up high enough, at least for the CDV R/R. But I did not want to get under the car with just the POS Harbor Freight trolley as my only lift. The seams along the side, that I wanted to then slide jack stand, with 2x4 under and place back down onto had the plastic side " skirt " along them and did not want to put the weight down, fearing breaking them. After cracking the windshield removing wiper arms, I was more than cautious about any more mishaps. My jack stands have the typical V shape and even with a 2x4 on top of them, just didn't feel safe. For $ 1,500 the 5000# Quick Lift is now on my wish list. Selling my 72 240 Z with a fresh 3.1 stroker I had professionally build would make that easier to swallow. How do I get ITrader status ? I know this is for Clutch Stop, apologies for the side track, probably should look at how to IM StickMon
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #87
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
" pinch welds " ? ... The seams along the side, that I wanted to then slide jack stand, with 2x4 under and place back down onto had the plastic side " skirt " along them and did not want to put the weight down, fearing breaking them. ...
Yes, the seams along the side between the rubber jack blocks.
I have a 1' strip of aluminum I put in between the seam and the lip of the side skirt to spread the weight so it doesn't shear the plastic.

Here's the whole kit, plus 3 more jackstands, of course.

Name:  0204171137-00.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  46.2 KB

Last edited by StickMon; 02-04-2017 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #88
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Sweet, with a bit more effort, I could have got it to feeling safe, but I was short on time and patience when I finally raised the DSF tire 5 inches over my wobbly 4x6. Thanks for the photos, I saw quite a few DIY car ramps/steps online. Some peolpe go through some crazy stuff to put low cars up. Wish I could just drive up my steel car ramps like a normal person. Autolite Glass came over to replace windshield today, while installing the OEM trim, previous to glass removal, there was a defect in the glass and the VERY experienced installer could not make it work. They are checking on another piece. Gave me more time to detail under removed cowl, fix a scratch on the wiper arm ( F*CKING ) mini crowbar slipped ! Self etching primer and some black Rustoleum, can't hardly tell. More 303 Aerospace Protectant being applied to every plastic surface, inside and out. 80* and Sunny with no humidity, great day to be outside.
Appreciate 0