ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Can Z4 Headlight Housings be Replaced/Swapped?

After 40 track days, I've noticed both headlights have tiny spiderweb cracks in the outside housing. Is it possible to replace the outer plastic? I know you can't buy the part separately but if I had a donor set, is this something that''s easily do-able?

The ironic thing is I had read headlight films can trap heat and cause overheating leading the housing to crack which is why I never bothered. Although I did cover my 135i headlights (installer said he's never had issues with his film but could see it being a potential issue if you used an overly thick film).
      06-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
My initial inclination is no, you can't swap the lens only since the housings are sealed. You could do it if you knew how to bake them and get through the glue. Members on the UK Z4 forums commonly open up their headlights to install angel eyes, but several have had moisture issues.

I suggest buying donor lights and swapping them in as full units, or contacting Eric @ Tekarbon to see if he would do it.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

From what I know most don't have moisture issues.
Opening headlights and install the clear hockey sticks (salvaged from facelift headlights) is very common.
The only thing is that the clear cover you dremel of the replacement must somewhat fit the dremeled headlight.

I think sealing the unit is best done with a high quality ms polymer sealant or similar.
Pre facelift headlights are cheap to come by (cheaper than the facelift ones obviously)

Afaik you cannot bake the headlights. The glue/sealant used does not get soft by heat before the plastic gets soft!
All succesful conversions I've seen for the z4 have been done by dremeling the headlight.
You dremel in the clear plastic, just before the joint with the black plastic.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

I had many attempts to get new housings and clear turn signal hockey sticks.
Thought about sending to tekarbon but I wanted OEM style and not painted hockey sticks.

In the end I bought two new complete Halogen housing and moved the Xenon from the old housing to the new ones.
Was still a real PITA but worth it.

Opening them seems even more effort than my Xenon move. I still have the old ones in my garage.
I might give it a shot just for the fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
This is one area where the E46 triumphs E85/86

http://e46fanatics.com/howto/howtode...hp?howto_id=24
      06-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Heating the lens/glue to separate the lens cover from the housing can be done with the Honda motorcycle lights as shown here: http://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-f...nstall-146677/ Same technique should work for our lights I would think.

Last edited by Incompatible; 06-25-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Heating the lens/glue to separate the lens cover from the housing can be done with the Honda motorcycle lights as shown here: http://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-f...nstall-146677/ Same technique should work for our lights I would think.
A poster above said baking will NOT work for the Z4 as the housing melts before the glue softens.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
A poster above said baking will NOT work for the Z4 as the housing melts before the glue softens.
I know a few who tried that and fried the housing.

Sadly cutting is the only option.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
This is the best pic I can give you at the moment. I cropped and enlarged the area.
I think you can get the idea from this.

Appreciate 0