ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-23-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
LLiiaamm
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Will this be a good buy?

Hello fellas,

I asked before about the reliability of 06-08 z4 3.0si coupe with manual trans, and seems like its reliability is above the average of BMW, and I dont have to worry about some issues that E46 M3 and Z4M have, like subframe, vanos...am I correct?

So I've been checking and considering a local Z4 3.0si coupe that's currently for sale, manual trans, 83k miles, black on red, did the test drive and is amazing, IMO the ride quality is just one level higher then Evo IX and S2000 that I have been driven before. The seller is asking $15k. New pads new rotors new tires, transmission is sharp and engine is smooth.

I need some suggestion ----- since I am not sure how long could I keep it, will it be really hard to sell the car if I dont want to lose too much value? By all means, is the market of 3.0si coupe large?
Also, at this millage, do I need to worry about anything? Is there any upcoming service due other than regular change?

After all, is $15k a good deal or not?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The market is tiny(as is the total production of Z coupes). Very little known car. Hard to say but I would think depreciation is pretty low at this point. There are no subframe issues in the Z4(that was a Z3 thing).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLiiaamm View Post
Hello fellas,

I asked before about the reliability of 06-08 z4 3.0si coupe with manual trans, and seems like its reliability is above the average of BMW, and I dont have to worry about some issues that E46 M3 and Z4M have, like subframe, vanos...am I correct?

So I've been checking and considering a local Z4 3.0si coupe that's currently for sale, manual trans, 83k miles, black on red, did the test drive and is amazing, IMO the ride quality is just one level higher then Evo IX and S2000 that I have been driven before. The seller is asking $15k. New pads new rotors new tires, transmission is sharp and engine is smooth.

I need some suggestion ----- since I am not sure how long could I keep it, will it be really hard to sell the car if I dont want to lose too much value? By all means, is the market of 3.0si coupe large?
Also, at this millage, do I need to worry about anything? Is there any upcoming service due other than regular change?

After all, is $15k a good deal or not?

Thanks!
I sure as shit wouldn't sell mine for $15k! But yeah, the coupe was pretty limited in production numbers (1,812 for all of USA if I remember right) so the market is generally not as robust for a car like this.

I am ~96k miles and only had normal wear and tear items. I have done brakes a rotors a few times, rear shocks just recently, front control arm bushings, serpentine (apparently way overdue and not that expensive) and fluid flushes.

I can only hope that it keeps being as reliable as it has for the first 96k miles!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
LLiiaamm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I sure as shit wouldn't sell mine for $15k! But yeah, the coupe was pretty limited in production numbers (1,812 for all of USA if I remember right) so the market is generally not as robust for a car like this.

I am ~96k miles and only had normal wear and tear items. I have done brakes a rotors a few times, rear shocks just recently, front control arm bushings, serpentine (apparently way overdue and not that expensive) and fluid flushes.

I can only hope that it keeps being as reliable as it has for the first 96k miles!
According to the seller, he has replaced shock/struts, spark plugs, etc.
I’m not so familiar, and I heard that there’s inspection I and inspection II? For the regular service, do I need to do anything more than oil change?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
Andyh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M black saphire / imola

The Z4 platform has pretty solid reliability, this is what attracted me to this vehicle.
The cars are mechanical with some quirks here and there. I have a Z4M that has been flawless in the 1.5 years that I have owned it.
The 06-08 years are the last years of this platform, very good years.
How long are you planning on keeping this vehicle and how miles per year will be adding to it?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
LLiiaamm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyh1 View Post
The Z4 platform has pretty solid reliability, this is what attracted me to this vehicle.
The cars are mechanical with some quirks here and there. I have a Z4M that has been flawless in the 1.5 years that I have owned it.
The 06-08 years are the last years of this platform, very good years.
How long are you planning on keeping this vehicle and how miles per year will be adding to it?
I’m thinking maybe a year and about 20k miles. I dont know if $15k is a good price.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Z4 3.0si coupe with manual gearbox is the rarest of the rare. 828 made for the North American markets. If the Carfax is clean, and the suspension work mentioned has been done well with decent parts, I'd go for it. You won't easily find another one.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
I’m not so familiar, and I heard that there’s inspection I and inspection II? For the regular service, do I need to do anything more than oil change?
See https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171200

For non-M's, there is less that needs to be done for Inspection I and II. Supposedly ps, diff, tranny, and coolant are lifetime fluids, but I believe that BMW considers "lifetime" to be 100K miles. I'd also be changing out spark plugs at 100K. Inspection I is basically every 30K miles. Inspection II is every 60K miles and includes all of Inspection I items.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Quote:
I’m thinking maybe a year and about 20k miles. I dont know if $15k is a good price.
$15k is a good price. Its only up from there. The car will be worth a lot more in the future when more people become aware of it and its rarity. The car looks a lot more expensive than it is. I have had multiple people think the car was worth $40-50k.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
According to the seller, he has replaced shock/struts, spark plugs, etc.
I believe inspection 1 and 2 are for the M only. I asked my dealer about those for the si and was told there really isn't anything that structured for non-M.

edit: also - you only plan on keeping the car for a year? Why?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 08-24-2018 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
I believe inspection 1 and 2 are for the M only. I asked my dealer about those for the si and was told there really isn't anything that structured for non-M.
See the link in my post above.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
LLiiaamm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
See https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171200

For non-M's, there is less that needs to be done for Inspection I and II. Supposedly ps, diff, tranny, and coolant are lifetime fluids, but I believe that BMW considers "lifetime" to be 100K miles. I'd also be changing out spark plugs at 100K. Inspection I is basically every 30K miles. Inspection II is every 60K miles and includes all of Inspection I items.
thanks!!
if I missed the manual coupe and have to go with a auto roadster, which is also a 08 si, do I need have to worry anything more? The top works perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
LLiiaamm
Rep

Quote:

edit: also - you only plan on keeping the car for a year? Why?
because I am not sure if I will have to move or not next year. haven't settle down yet.
Appreciate 0