ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

First foray into Z4 (08 Z4SI) - Questions

Hi folks - been interested in the z4 for a long time and finally thinking about pulling the trigger on an 08 Z4 SI with about 84k on it for $12.5k.

I had a M Roadster and had issues with the subframe - so def looking foreeard to the Z4, which seems to have an incredibly high reliability factor (with a few quarks).

Things the current owner has done in 4 months of ownership and has invoices (I asked why he is selling it so soon - he said it was an impulse decision and it’s been tough since they have 3 kids):

- Power roof motor replaced and hydraulic system serviced.
- Oil changed.
- New battery.
- New front suspension bushings
- radiator reservoir replaced.
- Brand new set of sport tires.

Previous owner before selling did the following (current owner has invoices):

- Replaced all brakes, engine gaskets, oil filter gaskets, spark plugs

My question for forum - is there any other service I should be looking for, or is right around the corner (84k Miles). I don’t believe there are inspection I or II services for non-M vehicles, so no major (ie $$$) are due at 90k?

Also - while the interior is in good shape, the exterior has one notable thing - a run in with a trash can that clipped the front fender/light area. Does anyone know how bad this is or how much it’ll cost to address (see pic below)

And any thoughts on price given all of above? Seller is asking $12.5k. There are a couple other ones nearby - a 2006 3.0i with 45k miles for $12k (don’t much like the color and prefer the face lift but seems like a good price).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I wonder if a dent guy can fix that for you...

Only thing to be on lookout for is water pump and T-stat

Def go for the 3.0si, the bump in power is noticeable and while you can upgrade the 3.0i yourself I’d prefer just getting it in factory form.
      08-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post

Def go for the 3.0si, the bump in power is noticeable and while you can upgrade the 3.0i yourself I’d prefer just getting it in factory form.
Thanks 3002 tii. Yeah that's what I was thinking too, though I've had bad experience with paint-less body repair (meaning, they could never fix what I needed them to fix).

Didn't know you can upgrade a 3.0i to 3.0is. Really??? But yeah, generally agree - not sure that's something I want to take on myself!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangTa View Post
Thanks 3002 tii. Yeah that's what I was thinking too, though I've had bad experience with paint-less body repair (meaning, they could never fix what I needed them to fix).

Didn't know you can upgrade a 3.0i to 3.0is. Really??? But yeah, generally agree - not sure that's something I want to take on myself!
Yea just search 3 stage manifold unfold upgrade, basically taking the intake manifold and other hardware off an X3, 330i or Z4 with the high output n52 motor. Then purchase a tune to optimize the hardware OR download the free one offered by Hass (check e90post N/A thread).

To get the most power out of the n52 -> 3 stage + MILV + BPC tune
      08-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Bear in mind though that a 3.0si will typically have more options than a 3.0i, if that is important. You may also find upgraded brakes etc
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
My question for forum - is there any other service I should be looking for, or is right around the corner (84k Miles). I don’t believe there are inspection I or II services for non-M vehicles, so no major (ie $$$) are due at 90k?
There is still Inspection I and II for non-M's, you just aren't having to do the valve adjustment, spark plug change, and tranny fluid and differential oil changes that are specified for an M. Though, "lifetime fluids" really do need to be changed at some point. As far as I know, BMW considers lifetime to be 100K miles. I'd be changing out spark plugs then as well. So, you are nearing the 90K mile point where you would be doing Inspection I.

Maintenance Checklist - https://www.zpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109382&d=1193804024

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:

Has to be the later 3.0i with the N52 engine. Can't do it on the earlier 3.0 I with the M54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Bear in mind though that a 3.0si will typically have more options than a 3.0i, if that is important. You may also find upgraded brakes etc
You will find upgraded front brakes. All the non-M Z4 use the same rear calipers and rotors, but the 3.0si gets the calipers on rotors from the E46 335i. It's a notable increase in both rotor diameter and pad area.

Quote:
Not really much to lose by giving it a try. Worst case you're buying a fender, and they're essentially bolt on so you could get the replacement sprayed by a shop and install it yourself to save a few $$. The fenders actually aren't too expensive for a major body part. https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...gaAlVwEALw_wcB
      08-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

My fave review of the 3.0si:

https://www.auto123.com/en/car-revie...ad-test/53868/
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post

I had a PDR guy take some seriously large and deep dents out from my left rear quarter panel and left rear door on my E90 (from a deer), so I'm a big believer in PDR. My Coupe had a slight crease in the right front fender above the headlight (similar location to the OP's prospective car), but not as severe. But my concern with the pictured car is the alignment of the front bumper and fender (and the headlight too). The panel gaps are not right and all close in on themselves near the site of impact (with a trashcan?). Strange that the paint looks unmarked, but the panels don't line up good.

The tabs that hook the fender to the bumper cover look to be broken as well, which may mean a new bumper cover is required to get the car back to correct panel alignment.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I had a PDR guy take some seriously large and deep dents out from my left rear quarter panel and left rear door on my E90 (from a deer), so I'm a big believer in PDR. My Coupe had a slight crease in the right front fender above the headlight (similar location to the OP's prospective car), but not as severe. But my concern with the pictured car is the alignment of the front bumper and fender (and the headlight too). The panel gaps are not right and all close in on themselves near the site of impact (with a trashcan?). Strange that the paint looks unmarked, but the panels don't line up good.

The tabs that hook the fender to the bumper cover look to be broken as well, which may mean a new bumper cover is required to get the car back to correct panel alignment.

My 2 cents.
The gap between the hood and the front bumper cover has some adjustment room. There's clearance around the bumper cover mounting holes and you can loosen up the fasteners along it's top edge and adjust it. I'm guessing the impact pushed that side back a bit.
      09-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
The gap between the hood and the front bumper cover has some adjustment room. There's clearance around the bumper cover mounting holes and you can loosen up the fasteners along it's top edge and adjust it. I'm guessing the impact pushed that side back a bit.
Understood, but a trashcan caused that level of damage? Pushed panels around enough to close panel gaps?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

My 2 cents.
Out of curiosity, how did you ascertain this from the photo?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #13
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Not sure how he determined that. However, the plastic bracket that holds the corner of the bumper does get quite brittle and easily breaks. So, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the plastic bracket needs to be replaced. I had to replace mine after pulling my old bumper off, before putting on the new bumper.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #14
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Gap between the upper left corner of the bumper cover and the 1/4 panel looks too big for an intact plastic tab.
Maybe just the rivet is torn out.
      09-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Clairvoyance.
Appreciate 0