ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

DIY for Washing M Engine

My engine bay is in dire need of some sprucing up (Winter driving, Inspection II valve work, leaking Valve Cover Gasket) and I'd really like to wash the engine bay BUT I am sh*t scared of causing an electrical or other problem. I've read/viewed videos of using Dow Scrubbing bubbles on other BMW engines but am still...not...sure.

Can anyone write up a DIY for the M/S54 that they have successfully used to clean the engine/engine bay? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Unless you have open electrical conduits/boxes or wires with insulation stripped off, I wouldn't be too worried.

Just keep these in mind:

1) I recommend washing the engine when it's cold
2) Don't be too enthusiastic when you are pointing the water jet it towards the alternator coils or the intake entry point
3) Unless you have oil leak stains/baked on mud, you can usually just rinse it off with a hose pipe. If you don't want ugly mineral stains, wipe the engine surfaces dry when you are done. Since you have a leaky vcg, you can probably just use some dish washing/car washing detergent and a small brush on those areas to degrease. If it's really bad, you can use a special engine degreaser (engine brite).
4) I don't recommend a pressure washer - a normal hose should suffice

I think you might be too worried over nothing
-gc
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I use a degreaser spray(Simple Green will work fine - I use something generic I buy at a discount store) and let it sit for a few minutes. Agitate with a brush if necessary and then use a hose with a light spray. If you want it shiny use something like CD2 Engine Detailer afterwards. I have never had an issue with damage or water. My engine looks brand new after 9 yrs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-can View Post
I think you might be too worried over nothing
-gc
Thanks for the info. I KNOW I'm worried over nothing. It's just that at the ripening age of 53 it seems that every time I turn around I have to spend an hour addressing/fixing something. Complete time drains. Like being on the phone last night with the cable company for 30 minutes trying to figure out what my new channel line up is since it doesn't agree with the literature that they mailed out. 30 minutes and still no resolution. I definitely think we'd all be generally happier living in the '60s.

Do you guys cover ANY of the components with bags? There is that breather type of motor on the passenger side that certainly looks like it wouldn't like to get wet.
Attached Images

Last edited by elerner61; 06-11-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I have not covered the SAI pump circled in the above photo, and have not had a problem. I do cover the alternator, and I spray very little water in the area between the valve cover and the intake manifold.

I spray everything with foaming degreaser, agitate with a soft bristle brush, rinse, then dry with microfiber towels. I also use an air gun to help get everything dry. HOWEVER, you should not dry any electronic components with an air gun, as you could push water into a connector or past a seal.

Once you have everything as dry as possible, start the car and let it idle for 15 minutes. The heat generated by the engine will make sure everything gets completely dry. I've done the engine bay on my M 4 or 5 times and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
I have on multiple occasions washed it down with engine degreaser and a powerwasher. I know it is not recommended, etc. but I've never had any issues. Not recommending it at all but I'm just saying I've done much worse without covering anything and it's been fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Z4rd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Roadster

Garage List
I have washed many engines over the years. I use simple green or similar type cleaner. Wash with a hose and then use a backpack type or electric leaf blower to get rid of most of the water. As mentioned above do not use an air gun. Wipe down parts with a micro fiber towel then idle for 15 or so minutes and your good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

If you take the plastic cover over the radiator off, you'll also be able to clean out your radiator and around it. That area accumulates a lot of dirt.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4rd View Post
I have washed many engines over the years. I use simple green or similar type cleaner. Wash with a hose and then use a backpack type or electric leaf blower to get rid of most of the water. As mentioned above do not use an air gun. Wipe down parts with a micro fiber towel then idle for 15 or so minutes and your good to go.
How do you figure that a leaf blower is a better choice than an air gun? either forced air is a good choice or it isn't, where it comes from is irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
If you take the plastic cover over the radiator off, you'll also be able to clean out your radiator and around it. That area accumulates a lot of dirt.
Good suggestion. Anything to watch out for in that area when washing it down?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
How do you figure that a leaf blower is a better choice than an air gun? either forced air is a good choice or it isn't, where it comes from is irrelevant.
I believe he means the concentrated force of compressed air is more likely to push water into small places. A leaf blower is a pretty wide "non concentrated" stream of air in comparison. I use a blower after I wash my cars for the initial dry and on the motor when I clean it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
Z4rd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
A lot less pressure from the leaf blower than the air gun. I can see an air gun with high pressure doing damage and forcing water where it should not be.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I like to clean the underside of my hood once a year. It keeps the enginebay from getting overly dirty. A rag and interior detailer is all I use to make it pretty... Athough I'm a bit of a fair weather driver so I really only need to dust things off.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Quote:
Good suggestion. Anything to watch out for in that area when washing it down?
Don't use too high a pressure while cleaning the radiator or you'll be realigning the fins.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #15
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I believe he means the concentrated force of compressed air is more likely to push water into small places. A leaf blower is a pretty wide "non concentrated" stream of air in comparison. I use a blower after I wash my cars for the initial dry and on the motor when I clean it.
I use compressed air a lot for drying, but indeed with moderation.
Never use compressed air on anything cloth in the engine (sound deathening, wire isolation tape), not on connectors (only from a distance).
But as far as getting water out of nooks and crannies it's great.

For example the underside of the hood, or the shock towers etc.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #16
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
I like to clean the underside of my hood once a year. It keeps the enginebay from getting overly dirty. A rag and interior detailer is all I use to make it pretty... Athough I'm a bit of a fair weather driver so I really only need to dust things off.

I'm in this camp. Also, I rarely pop the hood unless I'm checking/changing something, so I'm fine if it doesn't look 100%. Couple times per year I'll take a wet towel and wipe things down to get back to what I refer to as 'new enough' condition.
      06-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #17
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

I just use P21S to spray and wipe down my engine bay. No water. Its a degreaser and it cleans up the bay with just rags.

http://www.amazon.com/P21S-Total-Aut...ter+Pump+Spray

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0