ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Suspension clunking noise

I've had my Z4 for 8 years now and aside from fluid changes, spark plugs and brake pads she's been problem free and I've been able to do all services myself. A few days ago I started experiencing a clunking noise coming from the left front tire area. I can handle basic mechanical tasks, but since I've never worked on the suspension so I was about to schedule an appointment with my local BMW indy shop.

I poked around under the hood and found the strut brace on the driver's side (near the firewall) to be loose. When I say loose I mean - the bolt was FINGER loose. I picked up a 16mm socket and gave it a few twists. Now the car feels as strong as ever. Crazy how the strut brace can come loose like this.

Happy motoring.
      06-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupdu View Post
I've had my Z4 for 8 years now and aside from fluid changes, spark plugs and brake pads she's been problem free and I've been able to do all services myself. A few days ago I started experiencing a clunking noise coming from the left front tire area. I can handle basic mechanical tasks, but since I've never worked on the suspension so I was about to schedule an appointment with my local BMW indy shop.

I poked around under the hood and found the strut brace on the driver's side (near the firewall) to be loose. When I say loose I mean - the bolt was FINGER loose. I picked up a 16mm socket and gave it a few twists. Now the car feels as strong as ever. Crazy how the strut brace can come loose like this.

Happy motoring.
I had a clunking last week from the passenger's side rear, sounding like two metal plates hitting one another on bumps. Got under the car, saw one of the control arm bolts was completely sticking out, and the nut had fallen onto the skid plate. I have no idea how the bolt stayed in, but I was able to get it back on as the threads had somehow not stripped. Amazing, even the nut was perfectly fine as it was on the skid plate!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Those strut brace fasteners do that! Glad you found it.

Control arm bolt? Lucky.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Geez, thanks for heads up, I'll check mine tomorrow!
Appreciate 0