ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #67
mad-dog
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe, Z3 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
Have you done the numbers on weight 50/50 balance and what not. I wonder how much heavier this motor is or how much weight the motor and trans weigh over the M coupe. Your going to love the trans by the way, its a well engineered trans.
The S65 is 33 lbs lighter than the S54, not heavier. Plus it sits further back!

If he even looses the AC those are another 30 lbs less. So 60lbs less on the front axle is not unrealistic. And awesome

When is the next update coming? I need my next S65 dose
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #68
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-dog View Post
The S65 is 33 lbs lighter than the S54, not heavier. Plus it sits further back!

If he even looses the AC those are another 30 lbs less. So 60lbs less on the front axle is not unrealistic. And awesome

When is the next update coming? I need my next S65 dose
Yea I read the engine was lighter after I made that post which is awesome, Im assuming trans needs to be heavier but probably not much. Having more weight in the back is better anyway just ask porsche lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #69
MPLICIT
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4MC S65B40A Swap

Quote:
This is going to be badass! Looks awesome. If you have any questions about the trans/motor I just switched from M coupe to an E92 M3. I know how it is wondering if something isn't running/acting right if you haven't really driven it much before. I have done plenty of swaps and thought something wasn't right just because you haven't really spent much time with the drivetrain. I think your basically putting the best M naturally aspirated motor in one of the best chassis's ever. Not to mention this motor rev's higher than the M coupe which is crazy.

I hear you on the clean work space, I clean every 2-3 hours when working on projects as I hate looking for shit or kicking around a socket or something and losing it to the dusty corner of the garage.

Also I think you may be making somewhat of a mistake trying to put up crazy supercharged numbers. I would keep it N/A and leave the purity of the car alone. Not to mention with some bolts on and or stroker it'll walk almost any car and smoke cars at the track. Have you done the numbers on weight 50/50 balance and what not. I wonder how much heavier this motor is or how much weight the motor and trans weigh over the M coupe. Your going to love the trans by the way, its a well engineered trans.

P.S.- please take off M colors on kidney grill lol.
Very interesting points.

There are a few things I could use some pictures of when the time comes like some of the hose routing for peripherals in the E9X bay that I have had a hard time coming across.

What I found out is that the S65 is about the same weight as the S54 but the S65 being 4 cylinders deep vs 6 cylinders deep actually sits closer to the cabin than the S54 so if anything the split would become something like 47.5 front and 52.5 rear which is still totally fine. Putting in lighter seats and a battery alone should even that up pretty closely along with just a few other small items.

There is going to be a big update soon. You guys have not gotten one from me in a while but rest assured there is wrenching that has been done.

2011 Space Gray + Fox Red ///M3 Coupe
ESS VT2-650, Bilstein PSS10 Coils, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, CF Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #70
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I agree with crawlin on the N/A front. I would try to get close to the 4.4l 444hp V8 used in the M3 GTS. That should be plenty of upgrade on its own....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #71
MPLICIT
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I agree with crawlin on the N/A front. I would try to get close to the 4.4l 444hp V8 used in the M3 GTS. That should be plenty of upgrade on its own....
4.8l stroker in progress.

ESS VT2-650, Bilstein PSS10 Coils, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, CF Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #72
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
And I would leave it at that. I would suspect you will be in the high 400's with that capacity.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #73
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And I would leave it at that. I would suspect you will be in the high 400's with that capacity.
Probably more than that as the stock rating is 414hp

I think the 4.8l stroker with supporting mods will be probably deep into the 500's unless you meant wheel HP which yea maybe then high-high 400's which is nuts in an M coupe N/A. That car will destroy anything in its path especially if your losing weight in the process of all this and going with a nice custom carbon driveshaft and light wheels and all that other cool stuff lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #74
mad-dog
Rep

So... no pictures since April. Is this build still alive? Would be a shame if you cancelled the swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #75
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Quote:
So... no pictures since April. Is this build still alive? Would be a shame if you cancelled the swap.
Patience grasshopper - the OP posted on the 24th that his 4.8l stroker motor was in progress.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #76
mad-dog
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
Patience grasshopper - the OP posted on the 24th that his 4.8l stroker motor was in progress.
I know, but the last photos are from April
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #77
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The next update will take a while- he is doing the hard stuff right now. I suspect he will go through with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #78
mad-dog
Rep

Quote:
The next update will take a while- he is doing the hard stuff right now. I suspect he will go through with it.
I hope you're right. Would be sad to not see this being finished.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #79
MPLICIT
Major
Rep

Quote:
MKI of the build with the stock internal motor and the bolt ons will be 500 wheel. MKII without SC will be about 600 wheel after stroker. With stroker and SC we are looking at 800+

Quote:
Probably more than that as the stock rating is 414hp

I think the 4.8l stroker with supporting mods will be probably deep into the 500's unless you meant wheel HP which yea maybe then high-high 400's which is nuts in an M coupe N/A. That car will destroy anything in its path especially if your losing weight in the process of all this and going with a nice custom carbon driveshaft and light wheels and all that other cool stuff lol.
You are correct. Right now the driveshaft has been created but it is just from the OEM ones. I will be sending it off to have a more efficient CF one made soon.

Quote:
Alive and well. Huge fucking update coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post

Quote:
patience is key... Work has been being done almost daily

Quote:
Hard work in progress... slippery when wet

Quote:
I hope you're right. Would be sad to not see this being finished.
He's right.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #80
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting points.

There are a few things I could use some pictures of when the time comes like some of the hose routing for peripherals in the E9X bay that I have had a hard time coming across.

What I found out is that the S65 is about the same weight as the S54 but the S65 being 4 cylinders deep vs 6 cylinders deep actually sits closer to the cabin than the S54 so if anything the split would become something like 47.5 front and 52.5 rear which is still totally fine. Putting in lighter seats and a battery alone should even that up pretty closely along with just a few other small items.

There is going to be a big update soon. You guys have not gotten one from me in a while but rest assured there is wrenching that has been done.
Just shoot me a pm if you end up needing some pics, I dont always check the threads constantly.

I would say also if you wanted a crazy acceleration on this car you could go to a 3.9x rear gear and get some serious accel but I think it would end up leading to way to much wheel spin. But with a big enough tire and the right suspension it may be super nice on the road race track but a negative on the drag strip. Not sure what your intentions are as far as track/street use etc.. I know my e93 hooks up pretty solid with only a 255 on the rear, its seems the chassis/gearing/motor are really well put together from the factory. Also my car is about 900lbs heavier and the Z is more of a raw car so less computer input to control everything so I'm wondering if any of that is going to transfer over to the Z or its just going to light the tires up in smoke. I think you'll need a 305 in the rear if I'm being honest for any type of traction and somewhat of a softer rear suspension to leave hard.

To your weight bias comment I think a heavier rear bias is better and thats what my E93 has and I like how it handles with that trait other than how heavy it is in general. The e93 is about a 48/52 front/rear bias because its a vert. Also just ask porsche they have some of the best 0-60 times and best handling cars ever I cant wait to upgrade to a GT4
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #81
mad-dog
Rep

Quote:
I'm happy to hear that.

In the meantime I bought a chrashed E93 M3 Cabrio MT with no more than 50.000km (32.000 miles). I'll be taking the motor and gearbox out in my holidays in august, right now I'm selling the different parts.

It's awesome to have the photos you already posted, gives me hope that the motor fits and can be done by myself. When it comes to pulling the N52 out of the Z4 I'll start my own thread, so the "simple" MT N/A S85 conversion has its own thread.

I'm very much looking forward to the next update!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #82
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

How did I miss this for so long. Subbed now.

Have you sold the S54? There's a guy on this forum who needs a motor. A sorrier tale is hard to imagine.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161400
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #83
quicksilver88
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Sick project. Looking forward to the update.

Subbed.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #84
MPLICIT
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
How did I miss this for so long. Subbed now.

Have you sold the S54? There's a guy on this forum who needs a motor. A sorrier tale is hard to imagine.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161400
I still have the engine but it needs a rebuild and i think that is an old thread?

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #85
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

The thread started a long time ago but is still alive. The guy is finally getting his car back, still with a sour engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #86
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Didn't the big ends escape from that S54?
Not sure I would wish that on the guy.

Name:  33904446326_8f16202c93_z.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  41.8 KB
      07-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #87
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

^cool mod.
Rodbearing inspection hole
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #88
mad-dog
Rep

Quote:

Hi,
just wanted to ask how your build is going.
Regards.