ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
tIndy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Halogen to LED headlights

Is there any benefit in going to LED bulbs on a halogen headlight 07 3.0i?

https://www.auxbeam.com/headlight-bulbs/H7/88621845
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

From experience I can tell you that buying LED bulbs MAY cause some serious damage to your headlights. The only companies I trust now with lighting stuff nowadays is TheRetrofitSource or Diode Dynamics.

TRS has their warehouse/office in Atlanta and I talked to them about LED vs Xenon and for pure light output, Xenon is still better than LED in lumens (for just bulb retrofits). If theres a specific projector built for High/Low beam that you could retrofit, it could have better light output. But as of now you're still better off retrofitting Xenons instead of LED's.

The LED's may still be brighter than halogens but its up to you as far as what you want to do with your car.

This is just my experience and my opinion on the matter. At the end of the day, its your car and your money so its still your decision.

Also, I retofitted xenons onto my DD from TRS and of all the cars I've come across (with xenons) they have got to be some of the brightest bulbs Ive ever seen. MUCH brighter than the OEM xenons on my BMW and the OEM xenons on my other Mercedes.

I also had LED H7's installed on the fog lights in my Mercedes and even though they were "high quality" they still melted my fog light housings. And at that point I swore against any LED's that werent from a reputable company (Like TRS and Diode Dynamics)
      02-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tIndy View Post
Is there any benefit in going to LED bulbs on a halogen headlight 07 3.0i?

https://www.auxbeam.com/headlight-bulbs/H7/88621845
Since they don't even list the LED model # of the chip, only the brand of LED used, I'd be leery of buying from them.

Like AmmarYasirA said, stick with a reputable company that will stand behind what they sell. I have purchased bi-Xenon projector retrofits from TheRetrofitSource for my Chevy truck and 4runner with great success.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for LEDs to replace your Halogen bulbs, but I'm curious in just how well the latest drop in LEDs work. There's so much variance in all the headlight designs (projector, reflector, fluted lens, clear lens, etc..) the resulting output can be much different from one headlight design to another when dropping in an LED.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

I've had a set of Amak H7 B01ABNX09S LED bulbs in the 128i in place of the halogen for about a year now with no issues. Light pattern is about the same as it was with the halogen's but significantly brighter. I've had Opt7 LED bulbs in my Toyota Tacoma for about 2 years with no issues. The Amak has the braided copper heat sinking and the Opt7 has the magnetic bearing fans. Both use the CREE H50 LEDs.