ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I have let them burn-in for a few weeks now and they have held up well with no issues at all. I'm really happy with the results.

Some custom machine work was required so it's not a DIY. The internals are fragile, easily damaged and are not sold separately. Replacement parts are not sold separately, so if something gets damaged, another light would be required. No lens cutting is done, so no chance for leaks.

The work is completely reversible so the headlights could be returned back to stock. The lights look totally stock when the LEDs are not turned on, so no ugly yellow LEDs showing. The individual LEDs are so close together, they appear as a continuous ring of light, even when viewed up close.

I'm thinking about setting up a service where the lights are shipped to me, the required machine work is performed, the rings are installed, everything is put back together tested and ship back out. I'd estimate a 3 day turnaround not including the shipping time. If there's enough interest, I'll pursue offering this service. Cost estimate would be around $375 with all required parts, not including shipping. Color options would be white or amber.
I'd be interested... where do I sign up... as long as when I get the lights back, they're plug n play. (Or the most basic instructions on how to tap power for them)

E93 6spd
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koevoet View Post
Just for information sake, Will you be willing to ship outside the US International?
This would only be for USA owners for now. If there's enough interest from overseas owners, then I'd consider it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVolkl View Post
I'd be interested... where do I sign up... as long as when I get the lights back, they're plug n play. (Or the most basic instructions on how to tap power for them)
They will be plug & play as long as your stock angle eyes are enabled, otherwise the AE would need to be turned on through coding. I could add the proper resistor to keep the bulb out light off, currently I just coded mine to not check the AE bulbs. I'm thinking I could have something ready in September.

Last edited by pungo; 08-09-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
How is the angel eye attached to the headlight from the indside behind the OEM one? You said its reversible?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
How is the angel eye attached to the headlight from the indside behind the OEM one? You said its reversible?
The LED rind is held in by machining a groove in the stock AE assembly. Unfortunately, the lights would require being sent back for removal of the AE LED ring. The LED would block allot of the light from the stock bulb so the ring would get removed.

Last edited by pungo; 08-14-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #27
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
Great solution would love to hear more and how did you disable the stock angel eye?
I simply removed the stock angel eye bulb to disabled it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #28
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

Well, when you're ready to start doing this, let me know. I'll be happy to ship you my headlights as soon as summer winds down and I stop taking trips!

E93 6spd
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #29
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Subscribed

Can you show a picture of the rear of the headlight

Thanks,

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #30
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
Any news here ?
I have let them burn-in for a few weeks now and they have held up well with no issues at all. I'm really happy with the results.

Some custom machine work was required so it's not a DIY. The internals are fragile, easily damaged and are not sold separately. Replacement parts are not sold separately, so if something gets damaged, another light would be required. No lens cutting is done, so no chance for leaks.

The work is completely reversible so the headlights could be returned back to stock. The lights look totally stock when the LEDs are not turned on, so no ugly yellow LEDs showing. The individual LEDs are so close together, they appear as a continuous ring of light, even when viewed up close.

I'm thinking about setting up a service where the lights are shipped to me, the required machine work is performed, the rings are installed, everything is put back together tested and ship back out. I'd estimate a 3 day turnaround not including the shipping time. If there's enough interest, I'll pursue offering this service. Cost estimate would be around $375 with all required parts, not including shipping. Color options would be white or amber.
I'd definitely pay $375 to get my lights done. Looks like a good winter project.
      08-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #31
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
Subscribed

Can you show a picture of the rear of the headlight

Thanks,
I don't have a picture of the rear, but here's one, compliments go to shipkiller

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=8
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #32
McKoval
Poland
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0si 2006

According to the picture made by Shipkiller I think I can be prety straightforward Job to replace oem AE bulb with led ring, but I can't really see how the "back" of AE housing is fixed - it its screwed on then one can just open it and put a LED ring between oem ring ant the housing.
Anyone has a spare headlight to check if its possible?
      09-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #33
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Errrrr. For those of us who want to just fiddle with it ourselves can you give us a DIY? Or is it a secret? Lol
      09-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #34
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
I'd be willing to try it myself and if I can't do it, I'm willing to pay. Only question is: how bright are the halos? I'm sure they won't match Umnitza's technology but I really don't care as long as they're bright enough to be seen in bright daylight
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #35
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
The LED rind is held in by machining a groove in the stock AE assembly. Unfortunately, the lights would require being sent back for removal of the AE LED ring. The LED would block allot of the light from the stock bulb so the ring would get removed.
Pungo, Were you able to remove the AE rings from the headlights in order to machine them?
      10-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #36
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

Pungo, any updates? I'm thinking of stopping by and taking a look if you're around next weekend. PM me if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
I'd be willing to try it myself and if I can't do it, I'm willing to pay. Only question is: how bright are the halos? I'm sure they won't match Umnitza's technology but I really don't care as long as they're bright enough to be seen in bright daylight
There are pretty damn bright but I can't compare them to Umnitza since I don't have any experience with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate96 View Post
Pungo, Were you able to remove the AE rings from the headlights in order to machine them?
Yes, like building a ship in a bottle .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_d66 View Post
Pungo, any updates? I'm thinking of stopping by and taking a look if you're around next weekend. PM me if you're interested.
Busy next weekend, maybe another time.
Appreciate 0