ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
t0pless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

Halos installed!

Hey everyone!

I've been a relatively long follower of the forums, but I just haven't posted anything.

Like many, I felt what dated my '03 z4 was the headlights. Although I didn't mind the amber turn signals, I disliked the chrome housing. I felt black housings gave a cleaner look and complimented the gray color of my car. Chrome would of looked great with a different color scheme, but with the amber lights and the chrome reflecting the DRL's, it really seemed a bit of a turn off. So I gave the halo install a shot.

Now, there were several different ways to do this. I have the xenon's from factory but, like some of those who have done the install, BMW/hella use the same internals xenon to halogen for all 03-08 models. What I didn't realize is that the external housing on the halogen headlights do NOT have the cut outs for the ballast and the headlight leveling motor. I ended up buying a halogen set with the black shrouds and clear turns signal indicators

Realizing this halfway through my install, I basically took a lot of the guts from my halogen set and implanted them into my current headlights.I bought my LED 80mm halos from The Retrofit Source. I've used them before for my CBR600F3 head light conversions, and they make/source quality stuff. A little bit of JB weld attached the two outter halos to the black shroud, and the 80mm halo fit right into the DRL housing of the shroud making a snug fit with JBweld to hold it in place.

After a lot of RTV silicone sealant, It's essentially just sealing the lens to the housing. It was a complete pain in the ass as each headlight took about 10 hours, but it was fun. I attached my halos to the side indicators, so they act as turn signals as well as DRL's.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0