ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

buying Godspeed adjustable coilovers - bought Fortune Auto 500's instead

EDIT: I bought Fortune Auto 500's with Swift spring and the radial bearing upgrade. Feeling really good about this purchase, especially since they'll rebuild them for $55 a corner when they wear out. Essentially these will last the life of the car.

Hey, guys. I've decided I don't mind the (self-perceived) small risk that this kit will be a waste of money and am going to try it out. Please don't give me the "you get what you pay for speech"; I'm a grown man in my 40's and I've been working on every aspect of my own cars all my car-owning life I've had experiences that DO speak to it but also MANY times in life in which the more affordable option has worked out great. For example, I recently purchased plastics from China for my CBR1100xx despite the warnings of all the self-professed experts claiming they weren't any good, and they were/are incredible. Of course none of them had personal experience with 'em. Some guys in the BlackBird community ended up being grateful and quite a few went ahead and got them after I did.

However, I WOULD be interested to hear feedback from anyone who is personally running these. They look to me like they're the same as Megan Racing, D2, and CXRacing. I think I found one Z4 owner who posted about it somewhere but it wasn't useful input and I can't find it now. This car likely will never see a track day and it's my daily driver.

Here's the kit:http://r.ebay.com/kZaXmV

Last edited by DaveJB; 03-15-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Bah! And now I find the BC Racing set and this company will upgrade to Swift Springs. That at least makes the seller sound like a real shop.

http://r.ebay.com/inIMAn

Then, let's say my cost is at about $1200 to $1300 with the Swift Springs. Now I'd be in H&R range. So...

Looks like I'll stick with Godspeed at about $800 or go the H&R route at $1195. I really was looking forward to the adjustable dampers though.

Does anyone know of a cheaper price for the H&R's?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Hmmm, while I definitely didn't want to be lectured I was hoping for SOME input, though I realize it's only been a few hours

I've opened my mind to one more kit though since this car is just a daily driver I doubt I'll spend the money, but it looks like the Bilstein PSS10 Coil Over kit is the least expensive top of the line kit I can find with adjustable dampers, at about $2k? Man, such a gap between the Megan Racing style, then the H&R kit, then all the way to two grand for this one.

Last edited by DaveJB; 03-10-2016 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Sorry man I wish I could help but I bit the bullet and went with KW.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Pretty sure that the non M and M have totally different suspension.
The "Godspeed" link says their kit fits both???
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #6
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I've spent a few hours on this. Godspeed does make a kit for the Z4 (non-M) that says that it's NOT compatible with the M. After having done more research, I'm not so sure about the 10kg springs front and back too. Will be researching that a bit more.

If I wasn't buying a set of wheels and exhaust too I'd more seriously consider the PSS10 kit. Maybe I'll just make myself sell all the extra moto gear and parts I have sitting around - I have something like 3 helmets, 4 jackets, gloves, pants, and boots to sell as well as two cars!

Now that I've said that out loud I should just get all that crap sold and buy the PSS10's, but it's just tough to look at the car with more fender gap in front than back, LOL.

Last edited by DaveJB; 03-10-2016 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0