ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Open headers

Hey guys, my buddy was talking to me about his exhaust setup on his SS trailblazer, and mentioned that he had manual dump valves right after the headers.

1. Could a handheld ess reflasher be programmed to have a setting for the dump valves open, so that I don't get a cel?
2. Has anyone tried this on a z4m, or even an e46 m3?
      01-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

that would not be smart.....clearly you were not joking about being 19yr/old.....
that aside trying to do anything to your car that you saw on SS trailblazer is like.....wtf is wrong with you kid? if you think this hurts wait till the other members hear about this.....christ. while youre at it ,slap a justin Bieber sticker right over the M badge just for good measure to better compliment the lack of manhood in your taste of emulation.

first

Last edited by Z4-VILLA; 01-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: had to get my point across
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
that would not be smart.....clearly you were not joking about being 19yr/old.....
that aside trying to do anything to your car that you saw on SS trailblazer is like.....wtf is wrong with you kid? if you think this hurts wait till the other members hear about this.....christ. while youre at it ,slap a justin Bieber sticker right over the M badge just for good measure to better compliment the lack of manhood in your taste of emulation.
Hmm not really nice. Questions are questions. And Bieber references are great, especially after reading them as the #1 comment on every YouTube video.. Let's not start this trend here

If people can't post questions on a forum, where can they? Zpost is supposed to be a community. I'm not hating or badmouthing, so refrain from being an asshat yourself.

I just thought it would be loud when I wanted, and quiet when trying to be respectful. I guess i was wrong. There's no book to read about being a good, bieberless m driver, so I come here to hear opinions.

I don't look at you as a stereotypical driver from queens, who can't drive, speak English, or pay for insurance, so don't judge me for being 19. I'm a teenager, not a disrespecting twat.
      01-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

actually Im ex military just moved from Fort Bragg and I bought my own shit with blood sweat and tears after destroying other 19 yr olds in other countries who would kill 5 of me and like a 100 of you just to have 1 OEM rim from your ride..... so sorry to break it to you, but i wasnt be rude just honest. Perhaps you should run straight headers.....perhaps it would put a little hair on your chest or some red on your ass when daddy finds out that he cosigned for nothing ( which ever comes first).
oh btw.....only in America.

however i did like the demographical references they would have been awesome if I were like foriegn or something .....but it was still a fair attempt.
either way you will need some serious soft ware for straight headers.....
maybe even a valve adjustment
also try looking at akropovic headerss on yucktube.

Last edited by Z4-VILLA; 01-31-2011 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: trying to play nice, barely out of puberty or not, an M car owner is still an M car owner.....FML
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Is this conversation really taking place? Really?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

yup....your welcome to come get some too....its monday
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh so you meant to say "not a good idea. Way too loud."

Honestly, that would have been fine. I just thought that the dumps would be just as loud as the RPIs from what I read, except I could turn them off when I want.

Fun fact: I paid for half, at the age of 18. But it's cool if you want to judge based on nothing. I also have loans for school, in case you wanted to ask about freeloading education.

Other members would have been nicer. Maybe they'd say it was too obnoxious too, but they'd sure as hell leave their douchbaggery in their dick in their pants. But hey if u want to be rude, that's fine.
      01-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Do you two have a history with each other or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I asked to hear his exhaust bc he was local and he said "no problem"
I guess in retrospect he was being sarcastic.. Severely and angrily sarcastic
      01-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

lol...dude its all good it was fun shit talking but on the real go with rpi exhaust you will love it..... ha ha my bad i was just being a douche.......really i was. but anytime you need to hear it in person me or just2talented can show you what it sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info about software and akropovic. You should have said that initially, instead of after you were called out for being an asshole.

Quick re-editing is funny to watch.
      01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i don't think manual dumps are a bad idea, aren't they the same as electric cutouts? plenty of audi/vw guys run em. do i personally like em? not really, it's way too loud for my tastes, but whatever floats your boat.
      01-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I don't see why you couldn't do it, but I'd do it right after the x-pipe for a better sound, assuming you can get the programming for it
      01-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

the needs of an ss w/ an ls2 v8 is completely different from a fine tuned inline 6. I guess you could do it w/ just 02 delete, but you will sacrifice power...major power. I have had the bypasses on my Titan and Tundra and they both went slower down the track. The noise isn't worth it. IMO a well tuned exhaust note is better all the time.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

good info. yeah, from what i've read, power either stays the same or is lost.

I was 99% certain about the rpi until i read a comment on a different thread about waking up neighbors. I'm only home for holidays/summer, but I really don't want my gain to result in their loss, so to speak.

Im just going to go RPi, and talk to my neighbors when i get home. after a few days/weeks, if they think the exhaust needs to go. I'll swap it for something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The headers are where airflow is the most critical. The exhaust gasses are hottest and are moving very quickly. If you want to go with a dump valve, I'd put it somewhere after section 1- as close to the mufflers as possible.

You can always try the SS Race or RE Diablos. They will be easy to resell on the forums should you decide you want the RPI.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

DUDE RPI is addictive....most people who wrote them off didnt wait for them to mature
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

does this mean that i need to take my bieber sticker off of my car?!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I have dumps after the x pipe. So what? Its just like with no mufflers. It'd be no different right after the headers except you'd have zero back pressure due to their being no tubing to resist flow. Hell rpi is basically dumps after the x pipe with some resonators built in....
      01-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
I have dumps after the x pipe. So what? Its just like with no mufflers. It'd be no different right after the headers except you'd have zero back pressure due to their being no tubing to resist flow. Hell rpi is basically dumps after the x pipe with some resonators built in....
If u don't mind me asking, how much were the dumps installation?
      01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #21
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
If u don't mind me asking, how much were the dumps installation?
Dumps plus installation
      01-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #22
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Got 2 of these...

Have a buddy that's a welder with a shop. So install was free. Just cut out the last section of x pipe before flange and weld em in. All done. They come with caps so you can cap em and it'll be just like stock. I used bolts and wing nuts to secure the caps so I can cap and uncap without tools. They are reachable without lifting the car as well. I have them angled down a little bit from being parallel with the main x pipe cause if you have the dump pointed straight down, it's a little close to the ground for me even though I don't think you'd have problems if you did point them straight down.

I'm just excited that I have around a hundred bucks in it and can have loud ass race car sound or I can have a quiet stock road trip cause it is somewhat droney but sounds sooo exotic. I wish I had a good camera that had a good microphone because it's almost impossible to make a video that represents the sound well at all. I've tried hundreds of times to post up but it's useless.

Last edited by Thisisdudewhoru; 01-31-2011 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0