ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

Garage or Cover over winter

Hi bimmerfest, new guy here in the market for a '06-08 Si. All you M junkies can hold your applause.

I'm wondering how many of you are still driving the zed currently, given the weather changes. Here in the mid-atlantic, it's getting kinda cold and the leaves are starting to fall. I'd personally would be driving with the top down and the seat heaters on! wishful thinking, i know.

Once the snow and bitter cold kicks in, how many of you garage your car. I dont have a garage so I would put a cover over it. What are the advantages of a garage or a cover, mechanically and cosmetically, aside from temp control? I could rent a storage unit for cheap for 3 months if there's major advantages.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I drive it year round in Philadelphia area.

Had the top down this morning, it was a rather brisk 48. 45 is usually my limit.

I don't have a place to keep 3 cars or fund to maintain them.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
DACZ4
2014 BMW Z4 35i 6 Spd MT M Sport Deep Sea Blue Met
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 35i

Also from South Eastern Pa, but not Phila.

Will drive until they put salt on the roads (first snow). Drove on Saturday morning with the top down, 43 degrees and not a problem with the heated seats, heated steering wheel and the heater on.

Very rare to drive with the top up (not any fun!)

My Z is garage kept all the time, does not see the rain or the snow.

Will also cover it and put a trickle charger on the battery.
      10-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Currently building a garage because I live in a place where we have *actual* winter: Winnipeg, Canada.

Covering the car will keep any corrosion from occurring underneath the vehicle, as well as prevent the ice (or anything for that matter) from lightly scratching the surface. Keeping it in a temperature controlled storage unit/garage/etc. will keep all the rubber and plastic pieces throughout the car from expanding and contracting over the cold season, and thus the car generally stays in better shape.

Are there any disadvantages besides cost? I think the answer here is a resounding "No."

Advantages? Plenty; ask anyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Wimps!! I've done top down at 35F LOL!!!

Here in my part of Canada, they put salt on the roads during winter and that stuff will eat your car alive - its THE singlest worst thing if you want a long lived car.

Its best to have your car in some sort of garage or storage unit so its not exposed to winter's rain, snow, wind and all that moisture blowing around. As long as the garage / storage unit is clean and dry, I would not be too fussed if its not heated. These cars are BMWs after all, and can tolerate the cold. My plan is:
  1. Wash and wax car.
  2. Drive to gas neighborhood gas station to fill tank, that drive will also get rust from the washing process off the brake rotors.
  3. Increase tire pressure by 3 pounds or so.
  4. Park car in back of garage.
  5. Connect trickle charger.
  6. Cover car with BMW car cover.
  7. Close garage door and count days until spring.

Cheers!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 10-24-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

I would garage it. I had a nice car of mine covered one year and we had windy winter, the wind moved the cover on the car just enough to rub fine scratchs in paint. I also had a mouse move in the interior of the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf View Post
I would garage it. I had a nice car of mine covered one year and we had windy winter, the wind moved the cover on the car just enough to rub fine scratchs in paint. I also had a mouse move in the interior of the car!
Don't leave your garage door up when the weather gets cold and get a cat to prowl about your garage and scare away all the mice. I have two cats and I'm not loaning them out LOL!

I read somewhere that you can put a bit of used cat litter under the car; the mice will smell the cat and stay away. I have no idea if THAT will work, but if you know folks with a cat, you can ask for some cat poop. Please post a video of their reaction!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
Just put mine away yesterday. In BC the idiots on the roads and the salt are the two big reasons for pulling it into the garage and wrapping her up under the BMW cover. That and the fact that my roof is slightly misaligned (another story for another day) and isn't the best example of water tightness

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

I drive mine year round

Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List

As previously stated, leaving a car outside and covered is just asking for the cover to scratch your car, no matter how soft it may be underneath.

As my current military assignment has me overseas I have an arrangement to keep my car in my parents' garage all year with a cover on it. Covers aren't really meant for cars that are outside. You might protect against some stuff, but over long term you're going to scratch up the paint pretty bad.
      10-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrhed View Post
I drive mine year round

thats enough out of you!

Any good covers out there? links would help.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Heres a selection from roadster solutions. http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page62.html

Keep in mind you get what you pay for, but you may not need all the bells and whistles of the most expensive ones available.
      10-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I have two pieces of carpet that are just wide enough for the tires to sit on, this works great for keeping the tires from flat spotting. Also keeps her in the same spot.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I'm in philly and use covers on my cars. Buy a NOAH cover. The BMW factory car is NOAH. But I also have a Big Sky cover. I think it's bigskycarcover.com, or something like that.
I don't know this for a fact, but from what I can tell is these guys buy templates for different cars and then cut and sew them as needed.
If that is in fact the case, then everyone is probably buying the exact same templates. These exact fit car covers are awesome and they don't seem to move much on the cars. Also, if you go to Pepboys, you can buy a cable and lock set to keep your cover from walking away. I've not had that problem, knock on wood, but I do it in case. The cable from pepboys was under 10 bucks.
Some bits of advice. Putting a cover on a dirty car will give you a dirty car cover, on the inside. This will definitely lead to scratched paint. That said the cover goes on right after a car wash here.
Also, if you leave the car out in the rain, even with a cover on, you may find that water splashes up onto your rotors where they cause your rotors to rust. Stock brake pads seem to have some metallic content and you may find the pads bond to the rotors due to corrosion. It may take some force to break the brakes loose.
Reason I bring this up is in case you are parallel parking your car, you might find the amount of gas you need to put into breaking the brakes lose might put you into the car parked in front/back or you.