ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe

cool, so since my car's fuc*ed now, and will be for a few weeks. Let's talk about watches.

Here's my list, what have you got?

Patek Philippe:
1. 5980
2. 5711 pink gold

Audemars Piguet:
1. Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph

Panerai:
1. 233
2. 214
3. 104

Rolex:
1. GMT II green hand SS
2. SUB blue and gold/ss
3. Daytona SS black faced

IWC:
1. Big Pilot SS

There are a few more...

Where do you get your watches? I get them in Thailand and Hong Kong, where there are cheaper
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #24
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitbrownMcoupe View Post
cool, so since my car's fuc*ed now, and will be for a few weeks. Let's talk about watches.

Here's my list, what have you got?

Patek Philippe:
1. 5980
2. 5711 pink gold

Audemars Piguet:
1. Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph

Panerai:
1. 233
2. 214
3. 104

Rolex:
1. GMT II green hand SS
2. SUB blue and gold/ss
3. Daytona SS black faced

IWC:
1. Big Pilot SS

There are a few more...

Where do you get your watches? I get them in Thailand and Hong Kong, where there are cheaper
Wow that's a nice collection there.

I've just started with a Tag Heuer Carrera. Next up a Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Paul Newman.

How sound are watches as a long term hold of value? I would guess it's a matter of choosing the right models. How've your values held up over the years?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 03:07 AM   #25
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

this is from my personal experience.

you have to decide if you want a bunch of good watches around 1000 to 5000 that don't hold value, or just a few 10000+ watches that have a chance to hold value or drop less in value.

I've spent quite a bit on tags/omega's etc... these are great watches... but because they are mass produced and because of the image and demand for these watches, they aren't worth much.

Not to say that all patek philippes are worth it... but you really have to do your research and see why some watches retail for 40K and retain or go up and some retail for 100K and drop to 50K once you wear it.

just because it's expensive, doesn't mean that it's a real collector or demanded watch.

examples;

daytona white gold... not worth collecting... stainless... it's about 9000 to 11000 usd, but holds it's value... i don't see them going up much. they say that they are hard to get but i see alot of people owning a few of them.

panerai's are a hype, so you have to choose certain ones. www.paneristi.com read about them.

Rolex's are pretty normal, every watch collector has a sub, daytona, gmt.... but they probably don't wear them.

JLC... drop alot after you wear it... and you have to like thier looks... classy but that's about it.

ap... drop as well... unless you go to the barachello etc....

richard mille... over priced... 2nd hand prices drop quite a bit

i prefer watches that look normal yet retain it's value and aren't high maintanance... so I go with PP 5712 or 5980 in SS....

there are many brands that market themselves as being high and put a high retail price, but when you actual bargain with the dealer, they'll discount alot.... like, iwc, breitling etc... graham... so many of them... all over 5000... but in my opinion, not worth it...

hope i didn't offend anyone.... everyone has diff tastes... as well.... depending on the country you live in..... each brand has it's market share..

breitlings are known in EU and USA.. but in Asia, you'll get discounts and people still won't buy them.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #26
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

This is what I would do:
1. get a tag or omega... everyone that gets one thinks that they are expensive in the beginning. And if you can stop here... that's best. but if you start falling in love with watches..... uh oh
2. if you're moving over the tag or omega, you'll probably go rolex, because you wanted a rolex, but didn't want to dish out 5000 in the beginning and figured 2000 for a tag and same high quality and later find out that you still want a rolex. if you can stop at the rolex.. great... but after a while if you start looking again, you'll notice that everyone has one... so then you'll prob look for something just a bit more expensive but since you have 2-3 watches already, you might go for something different like a panerai... as you get one... you figure 5000 - 13000... you get a pam 233 or something.

3. then you'll notice the pam 233, has a power reserve and gmt and blah blah.. and if you still want more... then you're hooked... then you start noticing that hey... if i pay just a few thousand bucks more.... i can get a super watch... like an AP... but can't get a PP yet...

4. you look at PP and think, damn these watches are ugly... and why are they so expensive... so you prob get an ap. then you figure AP royal oak.... prices drop as well... and they are heavy and big, the... you're dead

5. you look at very high priced watches... say 20K+... PP, JLC .... then you see that PP actual retains its value better and the PP designs grow on you..

never ends buddy.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #27
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

see what kind of person you are.... i personally would rather save up for 10 years and get 1 PP, rather than getting a tag or omega every 2 years

all my watch collecting buddys go through the same process....

it's like putting knock off rims on your nice car..... you get some knock offs, looks better than stock... then you eventually go real deal and your knock offs are sitting in the garage with no owner
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
jonanator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 335i, '06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitbrownMcoupe View Post
it's gonna be about 3-4 weeks

You can see some dyno's on the supersprint.com site...

read a guy in Calgary gaining 30-40 HP after this setup... I'm just doing it cause it's fun

I still have to go to race school... learn some theories hahah...

We definitely gotta meetup...
Which member? I'm in Calgary and would love to hear/see this setup!!

Currently rocking a Rolex Datejust but have been wanting an IWC Big Pilot... one day.. haha
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #29
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, M3 E92 DCT, 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonanator View Post
Which member? I'm in Calgary and would love to hear/see this setup!!

Currently rocking a Rolex Datejust but have been wanting an IWC Big Pilot... one day.. haha
I'm In Calgary too and planning to do the same (Super Sprint Headers + Connecting Pipes) so it would be nice to see the full setup
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #30
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

I like my Brietling and every watch guy I've come across has really liked it as well. It was 8.1k retail, got it for 4.8k. It gets banged up easy though so I've been thinking about getting an Omega for daily wear.

I really enjoy watching car shows with Clarkson, James May, Hammond, Tiff, Jason Plato. Clarkson and James wear Omegas usually. Hammond wears Breitling. Tiff switches off with all the brands and I've seen Plato mostly wear JLC I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:20 AM   #31
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver Z4 M Coupe

Back on topic...I just recently got some s-pipes bent at a local shop. They fit great, but it is RIDICULOUSLY LOUD when paired with catless headers and RPI mufflers. It sounds like an E46 M3 GTR going down the road. Not going to lie, its an intoxicating noise, but I feel like I will get pulled over within the next few days. And, my neighbors are prolly gonna call the cops on me if I don't get busted just driving around.
      05-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #32
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haretakis View Post
It sounds like an E46 M3 GTR going down the road. Not going to lie, its an intoxicating noise, but I feel like I will get pulled over within the next few days. And, my neighbors are prolly gonna call the cops on me if I don't get busted just driving around.
Somehow i dont think it sounds like an E46 M3 GTR seeing as that was a V8.

I do see what you mean though. I love my RPi's
      05-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
Somehow i dont think it sounds like an E46 M3 GTR seeing as that was a V8.

I do see what you mean though. I love my RPi's
I guess I just mean an E46 race car. Sounds like videos of those badboys lapping to ring. I am literally developing a heart condition due to worrying about getting pulled over.

Last edited by Haretakis; 05-25-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #34
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I guess I just mean an E46 race car. Sounds like videos of those badboys lapping to ring. I am literally developing a heart condition due to worrying about getting pulled over.
I got pulled over 3-4 times so far, for other reasons basically like license checks etc and they always whine about the exhausts but they've never written me a ticket. Plenty of other equally as loud or louder cars round here. Besides they've mellowed down now and city driving is much easier with them.

Anyway i wonder how it compares volume wise with a full Supersprint system..
      05-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #35
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Its furiously angry. Prolly a quite a bit louder then full SS as there are no basically no mufflers. My old SS X-Pipe actually made my setup quieter too. I need to find some remus or equally quiet mufflers ASAP cause I don't know if I can handle this shit any longer. Might just put the stock cans on. Ill take some videos before I remove the RPI mufflers tho.
      05-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Its furiously angry. Prolly a quite a bit louder then full SS as there are no basically no mufflers. My old SS X-Pipe actually made my setup quieter too. I need to find some remus or equally quiet mufflers ASAP cause I don't know if I can handle this shit any longer. Might just put the stock cans on. Ill take some videos before I remove the RPI mufflers tho.
You did get that system knowing that it's aggressive right?

I hear you though. California + loud exhaust systems just do not mix. I'm actually cringing looking at all of my past exhaust tickets.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #37
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hahaha I knew it would be loud, but nothing I have heard could have prepared me for the sound the car makes. Epic drone, ridiculously backfire, super deep rumbling before it gets on cam, and then when its on cam the loudest scream to redline I have heard. It's fun, but too dangerous in SoCal for my blood.
      05-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #38
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

look up europeancarweb.com this is where i read the articles about a black z4 mcoupe in calgary, it's really detailed and the guy tells us all the hp gains from each setup add.
Appreciate 0