ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
BeemerMonkey
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 3.0si

Thoughts on switching E86 3.0si to non-staggered setup?

I've searched, but have not found any comments on if it's a good/bad/neutral idea to switch the stock staggered setup to a matched setup. Mainly so I can rotate tires...

As I'd be getting new wheels, I figure that I can get a wheel with an offset in the rear to get the outside to be close to where the staggered look is so the wheels don't look sunk in. I doubt that the loss in rear grip with a slightly smaller width in real world conditions would outweigh the ability to rotate.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Both the 3.0si and 3.0i came as standard with a non-staggered (square) setup; the staggered wheels and tires are part of the sport package, so there should be no problem moving back to a square setup. The main concern, as you noted, is getting the offsets in the rear correct so that things look right. If you take a look at realoem.com, there should be listings for the different OEM wheels that were available, including the sizes and offsets, so that should give you the right numbers to be looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
Both the 3.0si and 3.0i came as standard with a non-staggered (square) setup; the staggered wheels and tires are part of the sport package, so there should be no problem moving back to a square setup. The main concern, as you noted, is getting the offsets in the rear correct so that things look right. If you take a look at realoem.com, there should be listings for the different OEM wheels that were available, including the sizes and offsets, so that should give you the right numbers to be looking for.
My 2004 3.0i with sport package came OEM with the staggered set up. I switched out to non staggered for tire rotation as well as tire pricing. Buying new staggered tires is crazy expensive and isn’t really needed for daily city driving. Non staggered looks great and a new set of tires can be found very reasonably at less than 140.00 each. I packed the OEM staggered wheels in the garage and if I ever trade it in they will look brand new and the trade in will be original OEM Sport package set up.
      05-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
My 2004 3.0i with sport package came OEM with the staggered set up. I switched out to non staggered for tire rotation as well as tire pricing. Buying new staggered tires is crazy expensive and isn’t really needed for daily city driving. Non staggered looks great and a new set of tires can be found very reasonably at less than 140.00 each. I packed the OEM staggered wheels in the garage and if I ever trade it in they will look brand new and the trade in will be original OEM Sport package set up.
Then why get the Sports Package to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Then why get the Sports Package to begin with?
It was available with low miles and a good price. There wasnt alot to choose from when I bought mine. Even so, the sport button still works with squared wheels and I get better tire economy. Another reason for me changing the wheels - I just dont like the Elipsoid 202 wheel styling and I found used BMW wheels from a local shop that sells their trade in's. I found a set of 5 spoke wheels from a 5 series that fit, And I like the look of them. -
      06-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

Quote:
It was available with low miles and a good price. There wasnt alot to choose from when I bought mine. Even so, the sport button still works with squared wheels and I get better tire economy. Another reason for me changing the wheels - I just dont like the Elipsoid 202 wheel styling and I found used BMW wheels from a local shop that sells their trade in's. I found a set of 5 spoke wheels from a 5 series that fit, And I like the look of them. -
Good answer!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Wow - if the elipsoid 202 wheel you mention is the same one I am thinking of - I love that wheel! What's not to like LOL!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Wow - if the elipsoid 202 wheel you mention is the same one I am thinking of - I love that wheel! What's not to like LOL!!!
Yah, I seem to be a minority on this one but when I look at those wheels all I see is a big 60's hippie flower. Not what I think of when I think of sports cars.
      06-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Yah, I seem to be a minority on this one but when I look at those wheels all I see is a big 60's hippie flower. Not what I think of when I think of sports cars.
OMG - you are right!!! (But I still like 'em!)

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0