ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster

Transmission

OK, I fully understand that there are Three different style transmission "Modes". Let's see if I can post this thread with out wise crackers telling me I have a sport car. Yes, I'm aware of that. To continue. I live out here in LA. I know most of you out there live in city's where the traffic is just as bad. Question. Even though we live in these "City's", do you all always keep the car in "Sport Mode", or take it off "Sport Mode" unless you really need it on the the FWY's, and when you go out and have fun driving Mountain roads.

Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

I have an ///M, but if Sport Mode is similar (more sensitive throttle response), I never use Sport Mode; street or track. It messes up my muscle memory. If I want to GO, I put my foot down.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
torchmedia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White Z4MC

^^ this

I turn sport mode on and I can barely shift the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I'm the exact opposite, I don't move unless Sport mode is enabled. The car feels dead, like it always wants to stall. Sport mode seems to give it a bit of a head start.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

First I'm not as fortunate as you guys with the "M" Series. I would have been if I knew at the time that the z4 had the "M". I only found out after I bought my z4....Oh well...Live and learn. Meaning my car is automatic. No shifting required, unless you want to switch it in to the "Tiptronic" mode. Nicky. I fully understand where your coming from. I feel the same "Deadness" without the "Sport" engaged. But like I said at the top, there's 24/7 deep traffic out here in LA, so I keep it off. But as Rad stated, even though it's not in Sport mode, if I hit that gas, It GOES!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I think I recall seeing that Sport Mode in the non M cars changes the steering dynamics of the electronic rack too?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #8
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Depends on the street, since sport mode tightens the steering, "Off" on rough streets, "ON" for smoother streets.
      03-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I'm the exact opposite, I don't move unless Sport mode is enabled. The car feels dead, like it always wants to stall. Sport mode seems to give it a bit of a head start.
^^
Me, too. It's purely a matter of personal preference.
      03-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

On non-M Z4s Sport Mode also artificially move the shift point up higher on the automatic transmission. Meaning on a "normal" drive, if the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd at say, 2,200 RPM, Sport Mode will re-map the shift point up to say, 3,200 RPM (numbers purely pulled from my backside).

On non-M Z4s Sport Mode is actually quite handy, since it has hydraulic lifters so the engine response is muted to start with compared to the solid lifters and individual throttle bodies on the S54. Mapping the throttle to a more cartesian curve, less electronic steering boost, and a more aggressive shift point on the automatic actually makes for a more enjoyable ride.

On the MZ4, Sport Mode makes the engine way too jumpy for my preference and makes fine-tuned throttle control on track difficult. But that's just a personal preference.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

In addition to what The Hack pointed out above re the non M Z4, the higher revs before shifting on the automatic makes for a truly lovely note from the engine and exhaust, and a sweet little burble out of the exhaust when you take your foot off the gas.

As I look out the window at the still wintry vistas here, that would be music to my ears right about now.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hey, I would LOVED to have had the information that the Z4 came in a "M" series. I would have waited longer to find one. As far as High notes, or low notes to how a car sounds seems very silly to me. It's like that kid on the block that has a 4cycl car that spends all of his money trying to make it sound like a "Sport Car". It just sounds like S..T. If a car sound good to you great. But going around and "Revering" up your RPMs is like "Hey Everyone, Look at ME!!!".........lol. Get a VW next time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Vet68 View Post
Hey, I would LOVED to have had the information that the Z4 came in a "M" series. I would have waited longer to find one. As far as High notes, or low notes to how a car sounds seems very silly to me. It's like that kid on the block that has a 4cycl car that spends all of his money trying to make it sound like a "Sport Car". It just sounds like S..T. If a car sound good to you great. But going around and "Revering" up your RPMs is like "Hey Everyone, Look at ME!!!".........lol. Get a VW next time.
I don't go around "revering" (spelling) the engine for attention, quite the contrary. My point was that when I do engage Sport Mode, the engine sounds particularly aggressive, in addition to the changes to the performance characteristics noted above.

Your initial post concluded with an inquiry about when you "have fun driving Mountain roads". Driving enjoyment is the total experience, which for many includes the sound of the car. I was only trying to respond to your question as fully as I could.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
So first you never knew there was an ///M (inexplicable to me for someone making a major purchase like this) and now you don't care for how a car sounds? Have you ever heard a Ferrari or Lamborghini? If that doesn't turn you on... Not saying our Z4s sound like super cars, but come on man, it doesn't sound like a Civic with a rice can either.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Vw? Wtf? No worries bud, some of us have a sound system in the car, mine is never on as I LOVE the sound this car makes.. just love it..
If you dont, thats cool, but maybe then you oughta get yourself a VW instead. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #16
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Rad. Please do me a big favor OK??? I already stated what I knew when I bought my car. I don't need your condescending attitude. This is why I swore up, down I would NEVER buy a BMW because of individuals like yourself. So, with all due respect, just shut that hole and don't reply to any of my threads.....Savvy??
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
.....and don't reply to any of my threads.....Savvy??
Good news - I think a LOT of folks are going to be very happy to oblige you with that request.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:22 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Rad. Please do me a big favor OK??? I already stated what I knew when I bought my car. I don't need your condescending attitude. This is why I swore up, down I would NEVER buy a BMW because of individuals like yourself. So, with all due respect, just shut that hole and don't reply to any of my threads.....Savvy??
Well, it looks like you've managing to turn off one of the best, patient, knowledgeable, and friendly group of car enthusiasts you'll ever find. Sure, it's only one thread, and not everyone has seen it yet. But if the trend continues, it's just a short matter of time to being on everyone's ignore list.

And that's unfortunate, since the help and knowledge level on this forum is pretty much unparalleled. Folks here engage and answer questions that newcomers ask--which, typically have been asked and answered many times before--willingly and freely offer a helping hand.

I haven't seen one comment to your questions. That's like finding unicorns in the forum world! Most folks that hang around awhile find they're part of a family. That's a rare thing as well.

That's how this forum operates. And yet, after forum members have spent time answering and engaging many threads and post, we see a pattern of posts like the ones above. (Those are just two of many I could call out).

Posts that heap scorn and condescension on VWs--and by extension VW drivers. The the next post post expresses a loathing of "condescending individuals who drive BMWs".

And I won't even get in to the "don't post on my thread" demand.

There may still be a chance to reign things back in and turn things around. I rather doubt it based on what I see, but hey, please prove me wrong! Behavior and approach will determine the outcome. It's all up to you.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-15-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #19
Goldwinghai
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Well said Finnegan. I totally agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

^^ +1
Appreciate 0