ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2024, 04:32 PM   #7943
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post

Also, the most recent science/knowledge/stats is the most incorrect, corrupted, bought, twisted type. Our "science" on food & health is atrocious; purely propagated to support certain industry with no concern of actual health. Modern medicine is drug dealers pushing, and quite effectively - their drugs cause more disease which necesitates more drugs.
So you support tort reform? Im sure a giant public health lawsuit would clear up a good portion of that.
      04-19-2024, 04:36 PM   #7944
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
I lied, in the interest of a spirited debate, I will make one last effort.

I did not say I would debate someone from Stop Oil. I said I would love to debate someone who was not radicalized. Stop Oil wants to end oil use yesterday with no viable alternative. A rational person thinks, at some point we will run out of oil and we should start working towards an alternative in a responsible manner.

See the difference?

Please actually read what I say without a preconceived prejudice. It is coloring your interpretation of what I am saying.

Where do I say their stance is rational?

And it is foolish and short sided to believe we have and endless supply of oil. At some point we will need alternatives. We will also be forced to start prioritizing how oil is used. I am not saying this will happen soon, but why not responsibly start developing alternative technologies?
“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”
      04-19-2024, 05:09 PM   #7945
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Da fuk?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 05:18 PM   #7946
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Done jumped the Orca.
      04-19-2024, 05:29 PM   #7947
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
Also, the most recent science/knowledge/stats is the most incorrect, corrupted, bought, twisted type.
The astounding dichotomy of this situation is that y'all are apparently saying this applies to everyone but automakers and oil companies. One might argue they're one of the worst proponents.

Resources are scarce and only getting more scarce. Most of the current oil execs won't be alive to see that, so instead they attack anything that would harm their current dollar, and the ICE-hugging masses eat it up. Just as any EV-fanatic touts EVs as being the savior of the planet, which I also disagree with. Ouroboros, everyone's eating their own tail.

I've also just come to realize that rage-baiting in a subforum like this is an excellent way to artificially inflate your subforum Rep score. Echo chamber gon' echo.
      04-19-2024, 06:55 PM   #7948
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
The astounding dichotomy of this situation is that y'all are apparently saying this applies to everyone but automakers and oil companies. One might argue they're one of the worst proponents.

Resources are scarce and only getting more scarce. Most of the current oil execs won't be alive to see that, so instead they attack anything that would harm their current dollar, and the ICE-hugging masses eat it up. Just as any EV-fanatic touts EVs as being the savior of the planet, which I also disagree with. Ouroboros, everyone's eating their own tail.

I've also just come to realize that rage-baiting in a subforum like this is an excellent way to artificially inflate your subforum Rep score. Echo chamber gon' echo.
Do tell how any oil or automaker would get favorable research through what constitutes higher education nowadays? EPA autocratic emission rules gave us this on diesels claiming that emitting ultrafine soot that doesn't settle is better than large soot which does and clogging intakes with soot makes them pollute less! The best part of trying to eliminate ever smaller pieces of nothing is that we get to pay for a hideously more expensive vehicle to repair, it also gonna take a miracle to get to 100,000 miles!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M5Rick60403.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-19-2024, 08:11 PM   #7949
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
You’ve shown yourself to know that electric cars are older than combustion engines. So why is it so shocking humanity would transition (!) to them? Its not like theyre teleporters or something. We have the capability.
Steam predates both gas and electric. 1888 for electric 1890 for gas production cars, not engineering development models. In terms of history they all came to provenance around the same time. Gas won out as the best fuel source then, as for today, because of its superior energy density.

That, and there really was no significant electricity available late 19th century rural life. Electricity was barely even a utility in the late 1800's in populated areas. And please don't try to contradict me on this, I live in a house that predates the invention of electrical generation.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-20-2024 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60403.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-19-2024, 11:15 PM   #7950
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”
Yeah, were done.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:17 PM   #7951
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Actually no. The foundations have not changed.
Stop being intentionally obtuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
The paid for crap coming out of universities today is so bad the very same professors doing it are complaining about it. Who do you think is funding the "new" dust pollution papers?
Prove it. You made a statement, support it with facts.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 12:07 AM   #7952
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:

Not the guy you're responding to but... Federal lobbying;

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-...summary?id=E12
Efthreeoh17363.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 04:12 AM   #7953
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

^ From the press release ''$45 billion spent on just lobbying since 2015' Now the people know.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17363.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 04:17 AM   #7954
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post

There is no whitewashing on this thread
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17363.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 05:30 AM   #7955
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
“...If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”
This is exactly the response I get when I ask Climate Fearers who believe man can manipulate the climate. When I ask them the date or era in climate history they want to roll the climate back to, they fall silent in answer and say the time for arguing about climate models has past, because it is "settled science". This has happened in this very thread.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60403.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 05:37 AM   #7956
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The same group of people who insist I must believe the climate science (models) are the same people who argue a person can decide what gender they are. Please, me obtuse? Lol.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60403.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 06:55 AM   #7957
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Cybertruck Turns Into Large Metal Brick After Going Through Car Wash
"Damage caused by car washes is not covered by the warranty."

https://twitter.com/StonkKing4/statu...brick-car-wash
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60403.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 07:25 AM   #7958
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I guess you have to put it in wade mode to go through the car wash?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60403.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 07:44 AM   #7959
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

Holy li-po batteries, a Cybertruck knocked out cold by a car wash.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 08:31 AM   #7960
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Where do I say their stance is rational?

And it is foolish and short sided to believe we have and endless supply of oil. At some point we will need alternatives. We will also be forced to start prioritizing how oil is used. I am not saying this will happen soon, but why not responsibly start developing alternative technologies?
I have to say I am under the consideration of the Abiotic oil theory makes some scientific sense. I also believe the geologists who predict the Earth's oil reserves are somewhere north of 10,000 years before a predicted depletion situation is on the horizon.

None of my statements or positions throughout this thread are in retrograde of not developing alternative solutions. I have many times suggested the best solution, in my opinion, is advancement of the series-hybrid architecture using a specifically developed ICE to supply on-board generation of electricity. The architecture would use a small EV battery that supplies high-demand power when required and absorbs regeneration energy.

The ICE used can significantly improve on the efficiency of the combustion process by using higher thermal resistant materials, which reduce heat loss. The engine is not connected to the driven wheels in any sort of mechanical path so its design does not need to deal with the mechanical shock loads of an automotive drivetrain. Being the electrical transmission cables are very short because the electricity is generated on board, there is no electrical transmission loss (i.e. like there is in the national electrical grid). The ICE can run on any various combustible fuels and not regulated to hydrocarbon fuels. Best of all, most all of this technology exists or is easier to achieve desired developmental states than a lightweight energy-dense battery. More importantly, the series hybrid uses the current fuel distribution system for gasoline and diesel and doesn't cause grid stress until such time the electrical grid can be upsized to meet electrical demands of AI and data storage let alone mass EV adoption. Mass adoption of a series-hybrid architecture also does not disrupt the petrochemical industry, which plays a significant role in support of modern lifestyles enjoyed by billions of people living in the modern world. And best of all, cars are refueled in under 5 minutes and have no range loss dependent upon ambient temperature or other adverse weather conditions.

The key to progression of such a vehicle is convincing the un-scientific masses (or at least those who read the internet) that the internal combustion engine is going to kill the planet.

Apologies to the participants of this thread for my repetitive posts on the subject of the series hybrid.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60403.50
eugenebmw1506.00
      04-20-2024, 09:21 AM   #7961
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I bet the Tesla owners won't be happy. Now all other EV owners are fighting with Tesla owners for the Tesla quick charging stations. This is going to be interesting.
Yes, interesting, especially because the Mach E needs to use the parking space to the right of the Tesla Charger, so charging a Mach E takes up 2 chargers. If I'm Model 3 and I'd have to wait 40 minutes for a Mach E to charge up blocking the only available charger, hummm, I'd be WTF.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1506.00
M5Rick60403.50
      04-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #7962
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Not the guy you're responding to but... Federal lobbying;

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-...summary?id=E12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The same group of people who insist I must believe the climate science (models) are the same people who argue a person can decide what gender they are. Please, me obtuse? Lol.
You are still being intentionally obtuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:36 AM   #7963
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are still being intentionally obtuse.
Nah, just naturally acute. You just can't see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 12:26 PM   #7964
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here's just one recent article.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...o-crisis-point

My favorite is the U of Minnesota researcher who fabricated her Alzheimer's data and sent everyone on a wild goose chase involving many billions of dollars. Guess what happened to her? NOTHING
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1506.00
M5Rick60403.50