ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Best place to locate jack stands?

... assuming the Left front jacking point has a jack lifting it, what do you all think is the least worst place to locate a jack stand at or near the front corner of the car? Let's assume the wheel/tire is coming off and you don't want to compress the suspension for the LF wheel.

I'm not sure a jack stand on the front central jacking pad will stop the car from tipping over if the jack tips/fails. Bracing the rear jack point when working on the front tire seems to have the same potential liability.

Same question for rear of car, assuming jack is on left rear jacking point and rear wheel is to be removed ? I am under the impression we are NOT to brace on the rear differential housing.

Thanks for any insights, and I apologize in advance if this question has been answered elsewhere.

regards

ROB
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
This has been discussed ad nauseam on Bimmerfest. Go there and do a search.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Consensus from bimmerfest was...

use the side jack points for jack stands, and get a block or Ron's jack stand adapters so the stands fit cleanly into the jacking points.

Apparently people have had success jacking up the rear of the car at the reinforced area where the two diagonal braces attach, just BEHIND the rear differential. The rear diff itself is NOT to be used to as a jacking point. Use some plywood across the nuts holding the two diagonal braces, but avoid using a solid chunk of wood scrap, as it can split.

The front center jacking point is useful but difficult to locate/reach without a loooong floor jack.

NO word on best location for jack stands if the Jacking point is already occupied. Anyone got any wisdom about this ?

regards

rob
Appreciate 0