ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
MontereyZ
Rep
Drives: None-yet

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [7.00]
Noob ? about Carfax on 06 Z4

I haven't bought a used car in about 30 years (long before the internet, etc.) and I am really wanting to get a Z4. I have a particular car in mind, being sold by a broker/dealer. This car has just what I want: color, options, it's an '06, 26K miles, price is what I can afford (can we ever really afford a car like this, I ask my self).

My question relates to the Carfax report that indicates that the car passes everything, warranty is still in effect, no accidents, etc. However, the first entry into the Carfax system is at 16K miles or so, after the car was over a year old. Should I be concerned about something like this? The first entry is at a BMW dealer, then they turned it over to auction a coule of months later(why?). It has been for sale for a few months at the current dealer, which also puzzles me. I would think this car would be an easy sell. I know the market for sellers is not real good right now, but I still really like the car, subject to a test drive.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I think my 06 M Roadster with 13k didn't have much on Carfax. I think it might have shown when it was purchased, and then an entry when the original owner traded it in. The BMW dealer didn't report the 1200 mile initial service, etc.

The dealer will only keep it on the lot so long before they cut their losses and dump it at auction. I have seen several cars that went through the same deal, BMW dealer had it for a few months, sold at auction and then a non BMW dealer buys them and has them for a while.

Good luck with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

This investigation came to the conclusion that Carfax reports are pretty useless: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/v...orts/main.html
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I would say you are okay, that seems pretty normal. A lot of cars are sold through auction anymore... My truck went through auction before I got it and carfax also shows any accidents that a police report was filed even if the body shop didn't report it.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
blkjack
blkjack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 z4 roadster blk

car fax

Car fax only shows a report when a vehicle 's title or registration is re-newed,.poss lean ETC....they will not show an accident if a report was never done,....so a car could have been wrecked or painted on even if the car fax says all is good ...Just as long as it stayed a clear title ! As far as the miles just look the car over real good and do a complete title search to track the miles,...but then if some one had a car and changed out the cluster for a while or rolled back the odo.(DIG) it would never show this as long as they never took it to a dealer during that time so the miles had a history. Car fax and any other kind of reports are not 100% correct ,...but the dealers want you to think so.
Appreciate 0