ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Question for anyone with a Automatic and a Sport Button.

This is a question for anyone who has both and automatic and sport button: When you turn on your Sport Button, do you get "SD" on you instrument cluster AND a light on your Sport Button? Or do you get one or the other? Thanks in advance... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
golferboy2312
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I get both
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferboy2312 View Post
I get both
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
SAVAGE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Both indeed
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

When in sport mode, you will not get high gear. FYI
      06-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
When in sport mode, you will not get high gear. FYI
Yup, I agree with that... One question for you though... How much difference do you see in the steering... I see a difference, but not a big difference... Thanks, Chuck
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
Yup, I agree with that... One question for you though... How much difference do you see in the steering... I see a difference, but not a big difference... Thanks, Chuck
I the steering , it becomes more damped and instead of turning the wheel 1/4 turn you onlt need to turn the wheel 1/9 turn. Perhaps not that much. but I think you know what I'm talking about. Bob

04/ 04 build 140k on the dial.
      06-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
I the steering , it becomes more damped and instead of turning the wheel 1/4 turn you onlt need to turn the wheel 1/9 turn. Perhaps not that much. but I think you know what I'm talking about. Bob

04/ 04 build 140k on the dial.
The sport button doesn't change the steering ratio. It just adds more resistence (or lessens the power assist) to the steering and makes it feel heavier.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
The sport button doesn't change the steering ratio. It just adds more resistence (or lessens the power assist) to the steering and makes it feel heavier.
It sure feels like it, I'm sure you are correct though.
      06-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wonder if it's measureable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
Hmm... I feel a weekend experiment coming on... I know it's supposed to "feel heavier" at the lower speeds.. I'm going to look around here at work and see if I can find a small spring scale.. and hook it up to the steering wheel. I'm not really looking for the amount of resistance, I want to see if it increases.. I'll let you know if this non-scientific/scientific experiment comes up with anything... Chuck I

btw.. the reason I'm trying this is to see if the EPS part of my DIY Sport Button is working...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Hmm... I feel a weekend experiment coming on... I know it's supposed to "feel heavier" at the lower speeds..
btw.. the reason I'm trying this is to see if the EPS part of my DIY Sport Button is working...
I thought that when the sport button was engaged, the steering resistance was increased for the higher speeds....less likely to get into trouble at speed. Less resistance at lower speed where sudden vehicle direction changes are less of a hazard.

Good luck with the experiment and thanks for the detailed information.
      06-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
I thought that when the sport button was engaged, the steering resistance was increased for the higher speeds....less likely to get into trouble at speed. Less resistance at lower speed where sudden vehicle direction changes are less of a hazard.

Good luck with the experiment and thanks for the detailed information.
Incompatible brings up a good point... For those of you (non-M) with the Sport Button, does the steering get stiffer (more resistance) as you speed up or slow down? Thanks, Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Chuck I, an additional thought on your experiment and current wiring. I'm wondering if somehow the steering resistance function is/could have been reversed?
On my car when I engage the sport button, the steering resistance does seem to increase, albeit minimally.
      06-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chuck I, an additional thought on your experiment and current wiring. I'm wondering if somehow the steering resistance function is/could have been reversed?
On my car when I engage the sport button, the steering resistance does seem to increase, albeit minimally.
To be honest, I've only checked it at lower speeds. I feel it get a little stiffer at lower speeds. Tomorrow I will be more attentive at the higher speeds. Thanks for the feedback... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Phase 1 - Static Test

I know you think I'm crazy, but here goes. I strapped a bar across my steering wheel. It extends past the wheel 5 inches. I have a scale that makes contact with the end of the bar. With the car in park and the Sport Button ON it takes 1100 grams to move the wheel. With the car in park and the Sport Button OFF it takes 1100 grams to move the wheel. So no difference. With the car in D and the Sport Button OFF it still takes 1100 grams to move the wheel. With the car in D (SD) and Sport Button ON it takes 1350 grams to move the wheel. I repeated this test many times and it stays consistant. So there is some change when I put the Sport Button ON. Pretty much what I feel at low speed. Unfortunately I don't have anyone here tonight to help me do this on the road, so tomorrow will be Phase 2...On the road... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Interested to see how you perform the dynamic test. Nevertheless, the static test proves an impact on the power steering unit by the sport button control in your modified version. Count that test as a success for your mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #17
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Incompatible brings up a good point... For those of you (non-M) with the Sport Button, does the steering get stiffer (more resistance) as you speed up or slow down? Thanks, Chuck I
Incompatible is right. The steering resistence increases at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Phase 2 - Dynamic Test

Well, we got out early this morning to beat the traffic. I'm sure there are those out there this morning that wonding what in the heck some idiot is doing with a bar across his steering wheel making strange "S" turns for no apparent reason... Anyway, this is what I was able to verify. I used the same route for each run. The run consisted of a straight run of about 1/4 mile going into a gentle left 90 degree turn followed by 1/8 mile straight then a sharp 70 degree left turn. I repeated each speed run 3 times. I made the run at 40 mph and 60 mph. Here are the results:
40 mph - Sport button OFF - 500-600 grams
40 mph - Sport button ON - 900-1100 grams

60 mph - Sport button OFF - 600-700 grams
60 mph - Sport button ON - 1100-1500 grams

Even though this experiment was very crude, I feel very confident that the steering does get heavier at a higher speed. Of course these values are based on the way I set this up and is in no way intended imply actual values that could be measured in a contolled environment. Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, we got out early this morning to beat the traffic. I'm sure there are those out there this morning that wonding what in the heck some idiot is doing with a bar across his steering wheel making strange "S" turns for no apparent reason... Anyway, this is what I was able to verify. I used the same route for each run. The run consisted of a straight run of about 1/4 mile going into a gentle left 90 degree turn followed by 1/8 mile straight then a sharp 70 degree left turn. I repeated each speed run 3 times. I made the run at 40 mph and 60 mph. Here are the results:
40 mph - Sport button OFF - 500-600 grams
40 mph - Sport button ON - 900-1100 grams

60 mph - Sport button OFF - 600-700 grams
60 mph - Sport button ON - 1100-1500 grams

Even though this experiment was very crude, I feel very confident that the steering does get heavier at a higher speed. Of course these values are based on the way I set this up and is in no way intended imply actual values that could be measured in a contolled environment. Chuck I
Chuck I, Great post, great factual information. Something tells me you're in a technical/scientific occupation...

Question: With how the system is wired, do you think that it would be possible to modify it to actuate only the increase in steering resistance? I prefer the heavier feel of the wheel, but find the throttle sensitivity un-necessary/unwanted with the manual transmission. thanks
      06-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chuck I, Great post, great factual information. Something tells me you're in a technical/scientific occupation...

Question: With how the system is wired, do you think that it would be possible to modify it to actuate only the increase in steering resistance? I prefer the heavier feel of the wheel, but find the throttle sensitivity un-necessary/unwanted with the manual transmission. thanks
Incompatible, you're correct old Electrical/Mechanical Engineer by profession but most of this is fundamental. Unfortunately, I don't think you can. The reason is that the DME is the first unit to get the signal from the Sport Button. It then in turn sends signals to the EPS (Electrical Power Steering) unit. The EPS sends the signal to turn on the Sport button LED. The DME also sends the signals to the EGS (gearbox). I don't see a way to bypass that.... I do think that if you had a good aftermarket tuner, they could remap the firmware in there.

My Sport Button LED still doesn't come on. I'm going back out now to check the cable harness because I had it all apart to verify pins last week. Either way, I happy that I have it working with or without the LED. Chuck I
Appreciate 0