ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
xjeeper
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Almost time for inspection I.... what is the protocol for getting this done?

My car is about 500 miles away from my inspection I. Just how do I go about getting this done and what should I expect?

Should I call ahead and make a reservation? (can I bring it it now, 500 mileas early?)

How long will this take? (will I get a loaner car?)

My biggest concern is that they wont actually do the work... Ive read stories of dealerships simply skipping the valve adjustments, or neglecting to do the 2 year brake fluid flush, among other things. Its a dam shame that I even have to be worried about this sort of problem but I guess thats just how it has become Is there anything in particular I can do to ensure the BEST care for my car??

Thanks in advance!!
      06-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Z4MPuss
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
My car is about 500 miles away from my inspection I. Just how do I go about getting this done and what should I expect?

Should I call ahead and make a reservation? (can I bring it it now, 500 mileas early?)

How long will this take? (will I get a loaner car?)

My biggest concern is that they wont actually do the work... Ive read stories of dealerships simply skipping the valve adjustments, or neglecting to do the 2 year brake fluid flush, among other things. Its a dam shame that I even have to be worried about this sort of problem but I guess thats just how it has become Is there anything in particular I can do to ensure the BEST care for my car??

Thanks in advance!!
Inspection 1 on an ///M car is a rip-off. You get an oil change & "Check This - Check That" for about £680 in the UK. The oil/filter change costs the dealer less than £60, but because you have an ///M car they will rip you off for over £500+ to just tick the boxes on the service sheet (Brake pads OK, blah blah) The 2 year brake fluid change (here in the UK) is a separate chargeable item - for about £60.

Inspection 2 is identical to Inspection 1 with the addition that BMW dealers check the valve clearances & re-shim when & if necessary. They should also change the Air Conditioning Pollen Filter (Which only costs about £30 to do it yourself in the UK). Inspection 2 will cost around £800 - £1000 in the UK at a BMW Main Dealer....

BMW have decided that the owners of ///M cars should pay twice the servicing costs of "normal" BMW's - because we obviously have more money (??).

Am I bitter - No. I maintain my ///M Roadster myself for a tenth of the dealership cost - & to my much higher standards. No 15,000 miles between oil changes according to the computer - & not knowing what cheap & cheerful shit oil the dealer puts in to keep their costs down. My oil is changed every 6000 miles with the best that money can buy. And I know to my satisfaction the exact state of my car.

Some 80+% of these cars are bought on lease (PCP) short term contracts where the owners (read short term users) don't give a poo how they abuse them. Any owner who only services their car when the Computer tells them to is an idiot........
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

The dealer in Pensacola provides excellent service. If there is something due when I bring in the car regardless of the reason, the perform the service. Since the service is included with the car, you should not expect to pay for it. The dealer here provides a car if you wish and don't want to wait for the car. They do require an appointment, whether you want the loaner or not, and have been excellent about having the car ready to go and having my car ready when promised.
      06-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

If you are under 4yr and 50k mi, just have them do the service since it's free. You can easily check most of those things yourself afterward. The brake fluid should go from dark brown before to light yellow after if it's been changed, and is free if you're still under warranty, too.

Should something break due to the dealer not completing the maintenance correctly, it's their fault and you have a better chance of having anything fixed on their dime.

Call and make an appointment, since they prefer to schedule that stuff as opposed to walk-ins. They can also schedule you a loaner car, which you will probably need for the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
xjeeper
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm still under warranty so this service should be free. Thanks, I will call ahead and make an appointment.

Can I just go ahead and bring it in 500 miles early? Will they care?
      06-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Keep in mind since this will involve a valve adjustment they will likely need the car first thing in the morning/cold and the service will probably take 6+ hrs.

Not sure how that figures into your scheduling/trip but it is something you should be aware of.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
As to it being a few hundred miles early for the service, that seems to be a dealer by dealer policy - mine wanted it to be within 300 miles of the indicated time while others, based upon an informal poll on one of these boards, were anywhere from 50 to 1000 miles. I suggest that you call and ask, and if they don't want to do it yet, tell them that you are leaving on a roadtrip and would like it done before you leave rather than disrupting the trip for a day in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MPuss View Post
My oil is changed every 6000 miles with the best that money can buy.
I'm assuming that you use a 10w60 to avoid big-end bearing issues (as the dealer should be for the M Roadster, my dealer uses the Castrol Motorsports TWS 10w60)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Inspection I on the S54 engine does call for checking valve clearances and adjusting as necessary. Ask them to complete this valve adjustment schedule (compliments of Randy Forbes): S54 Valve Adjustment Schedule.pdf
Inspection I also calls for replacing the in cabin micro filter; ask to retain the old filter. They should also replace or recharge batteries in your remote vehicle master keys.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

probably a good time to change the engine air filter, too, since they amazingly don't think that should be done until Inspection 2.

you can get one at a good price from bavauto.com or getbmwparts.com and this is one of the easiest maintenance tasks.
Appreciate 0