ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Jeffrimerman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW R50

Question about cleaning the engine. What to use?

My engine looks dirty with sand and dust and other stuff. I've always been told it isn't a good idea to spray with water, but I've seen people doing it to their cars. Is it ok? Is there special cans of stuff to spray that is ok for the rubber and plastic pieces that will loosen up the grime? Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Cool

Yes, it can be problematic if you go at it with a fury, or with high pressure or willy nilly. Caution works tho. I cover electrics [ie.alternator etcs] basically, [not anal about it] with mid size plastic grocery bag, and cover plug/coil towers with aluminum foil. Its easy, wraps to size and comes right off. Keep a roll in garage. I use and lightly spray Griot's Engine Cleaner [there are other prods], brush where needed with a long brush, tooth brush, and then rinse with a light sprinkling/rippling affect over it all. Frontal areas no problem as well. The motor is prepared to take some water, I just don't flood the thing, use a pressure washer here or at any local coin-ops etc. It comes out fine; I remove the covering, fire it up and let it run and dry out a bit. I start with a warm motor, and keep it clean so its not a flippin' mess to start with. Its fine and you will be fine with it. Just use a lot of common sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Jeffrimerman
Private
Rep

ok thanks

When you were pressure spraying, was it will soap spray or just pressure?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

On my E46 M3, I just sprayed the bay down with simple green on a cool engine, let it sit for a few minutes, then hosed it off with a garden hose. Then go back and repeat with a bit of scrubbing for any stuburn areas.

zkeeper seemed to take a better/more professional approach so I would probably recommend that, but simple green and a hose did the trick for my 130k+ S54. Made all the aluminum shine and everything. By no means was this a engine detail....just a general cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Jeffrimerman
Private
Rep

simpe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminT View Post
On my E46 M3, I just sprayed the bay down with simple green on a cool engine, let it sit for a few minutes, then hosed it off with a garden hose. Then go back and repeat with a bit of scrubbing for any stuburn areas.

zkeeper seemed to take a better/more professional approach so I would probably recommend that, but simple green and a hose did the trick for my 130k+ S54. Made all the aluminum shine and everything. By no means was this a engine detail....just a general cleaning.
Yeah I forgot all bout simple green. Did you dilute it?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Nope, just whatever comes in the 32oz (give or take) spray bottle.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Thumbs up

Vitamin T's simple green will work also...and no, I do not use a pressure spraying method...not at home or the commercial bays around. Nor a soapy spray of some sort. For me its too MUCH soap or pressure, and its simply not needed. The water comes from the hose with sprayer set on sprinkle..just rippling water to rinse things off. Gentle is the word. If motor is really grunged, then same method, but a bit more brushing, breaking down grunge. On fenders, up front, back, it may take a bit more rubbing, but it comes clean. One or more applications is fine if you have been a bit cautious on the covering of more sensitive electrical bits. But no pressure hosing to drive water and soap were I do not want. Hope that helps more. I love a clean engine compartment. You can lightly detail it, and there are lots of prods for this, but I don't use one that has an oily, or silicone base. Again for me Griots has been best.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I used the spray on cleaner/degreaser (can't remember the brand)

Just sprayed the aerosol can, waited 10-15 mins, rinsed off with a light hosing ...prayed while I waited for brief drying ...and re-started the engine
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Use care with the simple green, it can be tough on some painted parts, bare metal parts, and stuff. Gunk used to make a good spray on, wait and hose off. I used to use the power washers on my show cars. Kept the enging compartment spotless.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
RV8tor
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i Titanium/Black

WARNING! Simple Green

It has been found by the aircraft community that regular Simple Green can cause corrosion on Aluminum and some other metals. To answer this, they recently came out with a new product which will not cause corrosion to start.

Simple Green Extreme for Aircraft

It may not be readily available at your local autoparts store. I think some of the Detailing web sites should start carrying it. There is a lot of aluminum under a BMW hood.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8tor View Post
There is a lot of aluminum under a BMW hood.
Yes, and on the M, the entire hood.
      05-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Yes, and on the M, the entire hood.
So is the Si.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
enlightenment
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Coupe AW/IR

Scrubbing Bubbles works too. Just spray it on, leave it for a few seconds and then spray it off with a hose. I haven't let the engine bay get too dirty, so no scrubbing is required.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
banger
Rep
Drives: 2008 Si Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenment View Post
Scrubbing Bubbles works too. Just spray it on, leave it for a few seconds and then spray it off with a hose. I haven't let the engine bay get too dirty, so no scrubbing is required.

What a GREAT idea!!!! I never thought of that.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
dylanwsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Silver Titanium 2008 335i

cleaning the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1975 View Post
I used the spray on cleaner/degreaser (can't remember the brand)

Just sprayed the aerosol can, waited 10-15 mins, rinsed off with a light hosing ...prayed while I waited for brief drying ...and re-started the engine
did you cover any of the engine part with plastic before risinng it with water?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #16
pvr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

The emphasis is on light water use, not pressure. With pressure, sand etc would get lodged in threads etc where you do not want to have it.

I bought some AutoGlym cleaner spray and also protector which seems to be rated well by the guys on www.detailingworld.co.uk

You can have a look there as well under the section "engine cleaning".
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #17
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I saw a friend using wd40 to clean his interior engine bits and thought, omg what is he doing. Afterwards I was thinking that perhaps it wasnt too bad of an idea. It made everything nice and shiny and it obviously wont hurt electronics. I asked him if it would attract more dirt because of the lubrication properties, but I guess it evaporates off fairly quickly.

Thoughts? Anyone hear about this before?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I just open the hood and use a shop towel to wipe it down after washing the car. No water except the damp cloth. Seems to work well as there is really no paint to scratch and I don't ever have to rub hard enough to scratch the plastics.

I am only really cleaning what I can see though, not going into crevices or on the sides of stuff at all.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0