ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Bi- Xenon TSB ???

My left Bi-xenon will come on when I first start the car and on re-start it will not light. It may be the ignitor or ballast but am not sure and wonder if anyone else has had this problem with intermittent lighting or has seen or heard of a TSB on this problem for 06 or any M coupes.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

You should still be under warranty, right? Just take it in to the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

I had a similar problem. Took it to the dealer and they had it for a couple days before they figured out that the xenon bulb was bad and they replaced it under warranty.

Would have been $1200 worth of repair work otherwise....

I am now careful as to when I'm turning the lights on or off, and never let the automatic system handle it. This problem started when i turned the lights off and then wanted to turn them back on again a second later. Only one of the bulbs came back on. Seems like they need a minute or so of 'cool down' time before you try to turn them back on again.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe

I just had my left side bulb replaced yesterday under warranty. It failed to light a couple times last week, but then started working again just fine. I was at the dealer yesterday having them mount some new tires and I asked them to look into the headlight as well. They ran the diagnostic routine for 30 minutes and couldn't get it to fail, so they decided to just go ahead and replace the bulb anyway. That's when it finally failed, so in with the new bulb and problem solved.
      05-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks gentlemen that may be it , however I talked to the tech at the dealership and he seemed to think that in CANADA, the angel eyes come on around the inner pods as daytime running lights and the bi-xenons aren't supposed to come on at ALL, unless the light switch is set at something other than O. On my car dont matter where the switch is they both come on at first start up - daytime or not and then second time only the right.

He said maybe the switch - could it be programmed wrong - still could be the ignitor or contoller as well I guess. Anyway - off to the stealership next week - 2 hour drive and will have to go back AFTER they figure out whats wrong and order the parts.

Glad the rest of the car works like it does!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
I had a problem where the driver's side xenon would crap out - would come back after playing with the lamp switch. Finally went to the dealer when the signal lamp on that side went bad. Mentioned the xenon problem. Long story short - the dealer replaced the turn signal lamp and the xenon - problem solved. Oh, and they did an early oil change as long as I was there.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Drove 2 hours to dealer - 1/2 hour tells me I need bulb, ballast and controller - 1000 bucks under warranty !

2 hours back and have to go back when parts are in!

Many dealers DO NOT stock parts for Z4 M that aren't also used on other models
Appreciate 0