ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #23
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie View Post
Wow, so much hate in this thread for no apparent reason. I just asked how to improve my MPG, that's all. Is there some rule that says I can't seek maximum MPG in my Z4? It was my decision, not my family's, but they supported me throughout. I bought a car that makes me happier than any other car I might've bought. Why would I spend thousands of dollars on something that I wouldn't be happy about?

I work close to 30 hours a week for the government (note, this is still considered part time), so it's not like I flip burgers in a mall. And I will be earning an entry level salary of over $54k, likely within 6 months if not the year.

Simple question warrants a simple answer. Thanks for those who provided it. To the others, I suggest you gather the relevant information in the future before making suggestions based on assumptions.
Sorry, but there is no hate here. LOL!

BTW, simple questions are answered with yes or no.

It just hurts me to see young people, like yourself, making bad, or at least highly questionable, career and financial decisions. And I grant you, I did not make it easy for you to look at things from my point of view, given my life of errors and successes. But, you might consider that there was some honest, sound advice mixed in with a healthy dose of sarcasm.

Enjoy the car, if you can, and make some plans for a successful future. I wish you nothing but the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

caseysc you made a bad choice buying your car. you made a bad finanical decision.
      06-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #25
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I shift around 3k-3.5k on all gears as that is what "sounds" right to me for daily/traffic/lazy driving. I get fairly good gas mileage (23ish average and I peak around 26-27 on highway). Your best bet is to get to 5th as soon as possible generally with as little "delay" (look at your rpm..the quicker you shift the less it drops the rpm/speed thus less gas wasted). Having said that, if you want to be most efficient, stay 60mph and below and keep your rpms as low as possible (don't underpower it though..as that will cause way more damage in the long run than it saves in gas mileage).

Honestly my car gets just a little better than what I was averaging on my auto 04 TL. You won't get THAT much better out of a 6 cylinder car unfortunately. 2mpg or so saves you at MOST like no more than 5 bucks per full tank even with LA gas prices just to give you an idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #26
dngrCharlie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Silver Grey

First and foremost have fun with the car. With regard to whether other people think it was wise or not.... screw 'em. They aren't you and only you can decide what's best for you.

I find that I get my best mileage from shifting at about 3K or 3.5K and not accelerating too fast. If I really gun it, you can see the mileage drop on that computer fast. (BTW, when I first got the car I would check my mileage on the computer and via the "divide miles by gallons" method and both would give very similar results).

It's a roadster so you can enjoy it driving fast, in the corners or just cruising with the top down on a nice, sunny day.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #27
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
No hate from me, hope it didn't come off that way. I am similar to you (except I live to drive hard and fast) I am 2 years out of college with a house, 2 cars and a motorcycle :| The debt monster is eating my paychecks...
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #28
jojodivo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

"(don't underpower it though..as that will cause way more damage in the long run than it saves in gas mileage)"

Just for clarification, what would be an example of underpowering it? Maybe starting in 2nd from stand still? Going 35 in 6th?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodivo View Post
"(don't underpower it though..as that will cause way more damage in the long run than it saves in gas mileage)"

Just for clarification, what would be an example of underpowering it? Maybe starting in 2nd from stand still? Going 35 in 6th?
Under Powering is to the point where your car shakes/stutters before it looks like its about to die.

Your best bet is to ALWAYS shift at the lowest optimal range (seems to be around 3k-3.5k) as you will have the good/decent rev matching without sacrificing mpg. Of course this is for the M so i'm not sure if its 100% true for other trims to be honest... Best way to figure it out is to drive and watch both your mpg computer and rpms. If the rpms don't drop too much between shifts then you are good.
Appreciate 0