ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Close to Pulling the trigger on a 2014 Cayman

I've posted about looking for a replacement for the coupe for a while. Nothing has really stirred me like the coupe did when it first came out. I was highly anticipating the Cayman (never really like the prior gen asthetically). While I do like the new look, it actually doesn't hook me like the Z4 coupe shape does. I think they would have done much better to do away with the large side ducts. They work on a convertible like the boxster but not so well on the cayman.

Anyhow, I test drove a 2013 Boxster S last week to get a sense of what the Cayman might be like. I've never driven such a grin inducing car (and I've driven my fair share including M coupe's, M3's, lotus evora, vantage v8). The drive hooked me. It is the best sports car I've ever driven.

So I am getting close to ordering one. Truth is my heart isn't in it like it was for the z4 coupe. The coupe just has this uncanny cult like pull for me that I know I won't have for the cayman. I won't take a detour to go look at the cayman on the way back from work like I do with the coupe and I won't look back at it every time I walk away.

But in the end I can't deny that the driving dynamics of the 981 cayman exceed the coupe's (yes even the M's in my estimation) and I suppose in the end that's a greater source of automotive enjoyment than simply the look of a car.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted on what I finally do, but I felt like sharing my sentiments with a community that gets what I mean about the cult like pull of the Z4 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

How many do you see in your neighborhood?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

To care about how many are in his neighborhood means he would have to care about looks first but I think he has decided that the drive is more important to him. To me, I love the look of my M and feel it has 90% of the Cayman's "feel" on the road. I've tracked a Cayman and agree, it is one hell of a car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
and you're ok with the fact that 14 Cayman will cost you 3x of your coupe?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
and you're ok with the fact that 14 Cayman will cost you 3x of your coupe?
Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence man... There's always going to be something that outperforms your current vehicle in one way or another, so if you don't *love it*, then why get rid of something that you already love?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Fun isn't cheap. If you want to give the Cayman a try, I say go for it! If the day comes where you wish you owned a Z instead, man up, trade in and get what you want if that happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence man... There's always going to be something that outperforms your current vehicle in one way or another, so if you don't *love it*, then why get rid of something that you already love?
I am all for getting something fun however at the price point of '14 Cayman, I would first look at used 911's or an AM (have a soft spot for AM in my heart )

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
I am all for getting something fun however at the price point of '14 Cayman, I would first look at used 911's or an AM (have a soft spot for AM in my heart )
Or better yet, wait a year or so and let someone else take the intial hit on the '14 Cayman...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, but ultimately it's about which car brings you the most enjoyment and honestly the Cayman S will simply bring me many more grins driving it than the coupe does. Nothing out there right now or on the near horizon promises to be something I'd love asthetically as much as I do the coupe and offer the same dynamics as the Cayman.

The new Z4, which is the only car I am really anticipating right now, isn't out until 2016 and by then I'll be looking to replace the cayman anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Most reviewers say that the cayman S actually offers a better overall driving experience than a 911 (especially a 997). If you've never driven the 981, try it, I suspect the midengine dynamics and sound and poise of the platform will also hook you.

As for the Aston, now that's a car that asthetically I love, always wanted one. I test drove a 2010 last year and its driving dynamics disappointed me. It really is more of a GT than a sports car. My coupe was more fun and I didn't want the Aston after I drove it. Driving the boxster S was at a different level, and it was clearly more fun than my coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Or better yet, wait a year or so and let someone else take the intial hit on the '14 Cayman...
I am contemplating a very basic Cayman S so the cost new will be the same as the optioned ones available a year from now.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

The new Cayman is truly an amazing car. So much so, that Porsche has wisely under powered it to ensure it doesn't eat into the 911 sales. I say go for it! Come back to this forum from the Porsche one from time to time to say hello!
      03-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Truth is my heart isn't in it like it was for the z4 coupe.
So you're about to drop $80,000 + on a car that is mostly for enjoyment rather than practicality, and your heart isn't in it?

No question the Cayman is a great car. But if your heart isn't into it, I would test drive some other cars first. What fun is buying a sports car if your heart isn't into it? And also why replace the Coupe with something that doesn't make your heart beat as fast, if not faster?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
The new Cayman is truly an amazing car. So much so, that Porsche has wisely under powered it to ensure it doesn't eat into the 911 sales. I say go for it! Come back to this forum from the Porsche one from time to time to say hello!
Ditto!!!

Post some pics for us so we can vicariously enjoy the car too!! And do be careful if you have any contractors doing any work around the house this summer that involves painting the Porch.

(Yeah, I know its a groaner, but I couldn't resist)

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
So you're about to drop $80,000 + on a car that is mostly for enjoyment rather than practicality, and your heart isn't in it?

No question the Cayman is a great car. But if your heart isn't into it, I would test drive some other cars first. What fun is buying a sports car if your heart isn't into it? And also why replace the Coupe with something that doesn't make your heart beat as fast, if not faster?
I hear ya and that's what I struggle with. Ideally I'd want something that pulls me in an intangible way like the Z4 coupe did AND offers the drive of the cayman, but I don't see anything out there like that or on the near horizon. I've test driven, an e92 M3, a 2010 vantage v8, a lotus evora in the pursuit of a replacement and none of them did it for me.

Any suggestions on any others that might turn my crank?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

Ditto!!!

Post some pics for us so we can vicariously enjoy the car too!! And do be careful if you have any contractors doing any work around the house this summer that involves painting the Porch.

(Yeah, I know its a groaner, but I couldn't resist)
I'll just leave this here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I guess I need to test drive the new Boxster S for grins. The poise of the Gen I Cayman, and sound of the engine right behind the seat was quite nice. That car really made you feel like a better driver--whereas the Z is happy to point out all of your mistakes quite loudly and clearly. (Actually something I like about the Z personally, as I think it's forced me to really improve the nut behind the wheel, and the car rewards the driver loudly and clearly when it's driven with good inputs.)

The newer models, with PDK and adjustible suspension, probably let you have your cake and eat it too (easy going when need be, focused and intense when needed too). The gear ratios on the original--especially 1, 2, 3 were a bit off (too tall) from my perspective, and didn't give the same thrill as the Z--I think Porsche did that intentially, just like they did with the engine. With a equivalent powerplant to the 911 variants, and gearing to match, the Cayman platform is superior.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

I say go for it! Haven't driven the newest generation yet, but it looks great and is reportedly amazing for street and track. My fiance used to have a 2007 Cayman and I loved every minute behind the wheel. That said, very happy with my Z4M and personally can't handle the new-car depreciation hit...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Any suggestions on any others that might turn my crank?
I really think you need to think outside the box, rather than the typical Boxster/Z4M/Cayman/Vantage V8/M3.

I would seriously suggest at least test driving the new Corvette first. I know, I know...but at least look at all your options first. There's a reason that Vette's have one of the most dedicated car base of all time.

What about a used 997.2 C2 with some 911 Sport Classic mods, or even a 997 GT3 if you stretch the budget? 996 turbo?

Used Viper 2nd gen.? Keep the Z4M coupe and get an Ariel Atom if you want pure performance and handling.

Or what I want to do, pick up a beat up late 70's 911, strip it down, throw an upgraded tranny and 3.2 or 3.4 engine in it, backdate some of it cosmetically, and have an amazing car:

You sound like you need MORE from your car, rather than people that jump from lease to lease to lease every 2-3 years, and never really get into it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
Quote:
I'll just leave this here.

as far as cars are concerned, have you thought of the Lotus / Caterham 7 or AC cobra, never driven either but I'd hope they might be a lot of fun

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
I really think you need to think outside the box, rather than the typical Boxster/Z4M/Cayman/Vantage V8/M3.

I would seriously suggest at least test driving the new Corvette first. I know, I know...but at least look at all your options first. There's a reason that Vette's have one of the most dedicated car base of all time.

What about a used 997.2 C2 with some 911 Sport Classic mods, or even a 997 GT3 if you stretch the budget? 996 turbo?

Used Viper 2nd gen.? Keep the Z4M coupe and get an Ariel Atom if you want pure performance and handling.

Or what I want to do, pick up a beat up late 70's 911, strip it down, throw an upgraded tranny and 3.2 or 3.4 engine in it, backdate some of it cosmetically, and have an amazing car:

You sound like you need MORE from your car, rather than people that jump from lease to lease to lease every 2-3 years, and never really get into it.
I appreciate the thoughts. I was highly anticipating the C7 but to be frank I don't find it a very attractive vehicle and its too large to be appealing to me. That also rules out the viper for me. The size of the vantage v8 I drove was part of what I didn't like.

As for used 911's, while I do prefer their look over the cayman, my impression is that the driving experience can't rival the 981 cayman's and economically they actually cost more than a new cayman when you factor in depreciation and maintenance. They also don't hook me like the z4 coupe does, partly I think due to their lack of unique presence (see them all over the place). The cayman at least offers a little more exclusivity.

I've had the Z4 coupe for 4 years now, longest I've ever owned a car. That says a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
You want more enjoyment? Slap the new ESS VT2-525 unit on, then go on a month-long holiday & invest a further $20k in your fav stock. You'll still be way under the PP of your new P-car. But you may miss the 'badge' by the sounds of it
Appreciate 0