ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

So Much for That: 2014 Corvette

I was highly anticipating this car as something that might stir me as much as the Z4C. The renderings looked interesting, but the final product lacks a certain grace. Too much going on. Not an ugly car, but not a beauty either, and despite all the talk about interior improvements, it leaves much to be desired.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...vette-c7.html#

Maybe I'll just put in a V8 in my coupe...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

one big Meh indeed
      01-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

looks waaaay to similar to the Viper in the front end now
      01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
I'll just leave this here

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
...the final product lacks a certain grace.
That's it right there. It's what separates American muscle cars from European sports cars.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

The Vette has been uninteresting since the 70s. Power, yes, aesthetic interest, not at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

LOL.... It's a dogs breakfast of design elements.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I think the best view is from the side. Like most cars being produced now the front grille is too large (think Audi and Lexus) and the back end made me immediately think of a Camaro. They're calling it the Stingray, as an homage to the classic '63 'Vette Split Window Coupe, but nothing in the new design reminds me of that classic beauty.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Where's the round tail lights?

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
They're calling it the Stingray, as an homage to the classic '63 'Vette Split Window Coupe, but nothing in the new design reminds me of that classic beauty.
Precisely.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I hate how the rear looks like a camaro! The quad exhausts in the middle looks kinda funny too, I liked the quad tips split not together. That red interior is hiddeous, however the layout isn't too bad. I'll have to pay special attention to it when I go to the Chicago Auto Show.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Maroon
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: Z4C

I much prefer the simpler looks of the C6 Z06... especially the round tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwsso View Post
I hate how the rear looks like a camaro! The quad exhausts in the middle looks kinda funny too, I liked the quad tips split not together. That red interior is hiddeous, however the layout isn't too bad. I'll have to pay special attention to it when I go to the Chicago Auto Show.
+1 on the rear end. There wasn't much imagination that went into the design of the rear end of this car. Way too high and looks just like the Camaro rear. And what's up with the air vents between the B/C pillars? Cooling ducts for the rear brakes?

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Has anyone here ever owned a C5 or a C6?

I find the most hate for the vette amongst BMW owners which I don't really understand having owned both M cars and vettes. I can tell you from real life experience that any C5Z06, Base C6, or Grand Sport will leave our M coupe, and even the E92 M3 for that matter, for dead on the track; Not even close, "murder death kill" as they say. As for the C6Z06, it destroys GT3 at my local track(Road Atlanta).

Point is that nothing can compete with it the vette in terms of performance at its price point. The fact the interior is finally somewhat improved is just icing on the cake. If the prices were not plummetting on C6Z06 due the release of the C7 I would be in one right now!

I'm sure that after buying the Vette I may miss the fit, finish, and feel of the BMW. However, I will have to remember that I chose a "TRUE SPORTS CAR" over a "SPORTY LUXURY CAR". Two very different cars built for 2 very different purposes.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post

I find the most hate for the vette amongst BMW owners which I don't really understand having owned both M cars and vettes. I can tell you from real life experience that any C5Z06, Base C6, or Grand Sport will leave our M coupe, and even the E92 M3 for that matter, for dead on the track; Not even close, "murder death kill" as they say. As for the C6Z06, it destroys GT3 at my local track(Road Atlanta).

Point is that nothing can compete with it the vette in terms of performance at its price point. The fact the interior is finally somewhat improved is just icing on the cake. If the prices were not plummetting on C6Z06 due the release of the C7 I would be in one right now!

I'm sure that after buying the Vette I may miss the fit, finish, and feel of the BMW. However, I will have to remember that I chose a "TRUE SPORTS CAR" over a "SPORTY LUXURY CAR". Two very different cars built for 2 very different purposes.
I almost bought a C5 back in 2003. I was deciding between a new 350Z, a 2000 M coupe and a 2000 vette. The vette I liked the least. Brute power absolutely, but that's about it. Reminded me of the 5.0 mustangs I had as a teenager, one of which was actually faster than the vette.

I debated quite a bit between the Mcoupe and the 350Z. In the end I chose the 350Z for its newness (full warranty) and torquier engine. Almost instantly, regretted the decision and muttered "shoulda bought the M coupe" right up until I bought my current coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I think I agree with the negative comments, although I want to see one "in the flesh" before I form any final conclusions. The bright red color probably tends make the car look more garish than it actually is, although I can't see how a different body color could do much to help improve the disappointing front and rear ends. The tail lights look especially ugly! Initial impression is there's too much chrome and too many intakes grills that probably offer little if any functional benefit. Typical of the American auto industry tendency to take a good idea and clutter it up with a bunch of tasteless bling.
      01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

He's right.. I watched an episode of Top Gear last night and they were mentioning how the C5 still had leaf springs/solid rear axle. They couldn't get over that fact, despite the fact that it's still extremely fast. It's kind of the same thing, sometimes you have to really dig to find things to mask reality.

A C6 Z06 will blow the doors off a Z4 M coupe, although it will demand a bit more money than a Z4 M will.. Seems like a C6 Z06 would get about 10k more right now than a Z4 M of the same year. After all, it does have almost 200HP more and weighs about the same (actually a little less).. Despite all this, the 3.2L in the M coupe gets the same gas mileage as the 7.0L in the Z06, LOL!

That said, I rode in a C6 one time and I don't think I could live with the car.. This one had a t-tops and those stupid things would squeak and rattle over ANY imperfection on the road. The interior was fairly lackluster, and everything about a corvette just screams "midlife crisis" to me...

Go figure, but I owned a 05 CTS-V before my M coupe, and I even drove an 07 M5 before getting my M coupe, and I much preferred the overall feel of the CTS-V over the M5, even despite having 100HP less and 2 years older. The M5 didn't feel 100HP faster to me, probably because the CTS-V had all of its power instantly, even though the M5 was still faster overall.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

I love the look of the new corvette!!

To me, an American sports car needs to be a statement driving down the road. It needs to look over the top and completely tasteless. My brother has a lime green BOSS and i like to say hes driving a big green dick down the road. In a way, thats whats fun about it. Its all hey look at me!

At the same time,, its not even on my radar. I wouldn't ever consider one for a multitude of reasons. I purchased the M because it was understated and refined while being somewhat of an anachronism in the way that it drives in such a connected manner that you just dont get anymore.

American cars should be loud and boisterous, a car that lives for the raw numbers. I think this car achieves that.

The biggest problem for me is this: In Texas, you cant go more than a mile without seeing a corvette. Eventually that will be the outcome for this model, and when that happens it will shift from loud and boisterous to commonplace and tacky. That is the problem with all American cars, for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:

Why do you jump to conclusions? who said that the Vette was lacking in performance.. Most posters wrote about its looks.

I don't like the new Vette... it might grow on me but right now it's meh.

I really like the C6 Z06.. that one has a great exterior, a great engine.. loses points on the interior.

But people aren't saying the Vette is not a great car performance wise... they are saying it lacks in the looks depatment.. and I agree with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^ +1.

In terms of performance, I'm sure it's going to be pretty awesome. However, the Camaro rear end, 4 pipe-in-a-row, and the giant ass front grill, make it unappealing to me. Now, if they corrected those mistakes, it would be another story. I actually like the look of the current Z06 or Grandsport better. Yes the interior and seats are bad, but the seats can be replaced.

The car has to connect with me from both the performance and emotion/looks standpoint in order for me to buy it. Performance does matter a lot to me, but if I find something visually unappealing, or just plain ugly, well, I can't get past that. If I want to total track monster only, I'd buy an Ariel Atom or a Radical. For mixed street and track use I need something that hits both visual and performance requirements.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
the Vette 100% without doubt is a lot of bang for the buck from a performance stanpoint. But it does carries that 'midlife crises' association with it as mentioned above... recently I think I heard a GM marketing exec quoted as saying its "a car for the successful plumber" (i'm not knocking plumbers here), and they expect this new 2014 will change that. Will it?

Another rub: US automakers continue to steel from European design cues and muck it up. The head on view of the front of this vette is borrowing far to much from the new Berlinetta or F470 Italia designs. Its bad enough that Ford has tried to steal Aston Martins front grille look recently, and Chrysler really thought they would get away with a knock off Bentley design with the 300c's of recent years. And now Chevy has joined the club. Atleast the Vette used to be original.
      01-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
However, I will have to remember that I chose a "TRUE SPORTS CAR" over a "SPORTY LUXURY CAR". Two very different cars built for 2 very different purposes.
Please define "TRUE SPORTS CAR" and give examples other than the 'Vette. I don't see how a Z4 M R/C is any less of a "TRUE SPORTS CAR" than any 'Vette.

Appreciate 0