ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

A clunk and some bushings

How hard is it supposed to be to get the rear wheels rotating with the car in neutral and the tires off the ground? My rear axles are TOUGH to spin in some situations, easily 5x the difficulty to get moving over my e30 which also has a clutch-pack LSD in the rear.

It feels almost like the brakes are sticking to the rotor, but the problem persisted when I had removed my rotors. Once moving, they spin very free and easy. If I stop them and immediately rotate again, no problem. If I stop the spin and wait 5 seconds I will need to "break them free" again.

I also have a clunk when getting moving from a stop that has been bugging me for a while now, I can feel it under the seat. I am thinking to inspect and/or replace all the bushings in the back end at the end of this summer. How DIY-able is this job? The rear subframe is no joke on this car, even pulling the diff looks moderately tedious. I have access to a hoist but I don't think my car will fit on it due to the short wheelbase. I have the RTAB tool available, I've done a 24v swap on my e30, rebuilt every piece of that car but the Z looks like special tools might be a little more prevalent in this job.

Anyone got any suggestions? Where would I want to check for this clunking? Why does my rear axle seem so tight? What bushings are needed for the complete refresh? Realoem gets a bit confusing on this with quantities for all the ball joints etc
2007 Z4M Coupe (#1026/1815) SOLD
Appreciate 0