ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
moose288
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1996 m3

First time z4 buyer

Anyone have 15 - 20 minutes to help me think about these cars?

I have an option to buy a 2007 3.0si with 80k miles for $14,750. Advertisement said sport package, just found out no sport package. (Is this way too expensive? Car is in great condition)

There is another 2007 3.0si with 80k miles with the sport package $14k, but it has been in a minor accident, car turned into the z4 and damaged front left body (all fixed now), engine not affected.

Both are private sellers.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

First time z4 buyer, help me out so I can come to the meetups rather than spending my time on the Diy repair forums
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm not that deeply knowledgable about the non-M versions but I'll give it a shot.

There's a pretty good thread below and while it's on the 04 IIRC the Sport Package has a stiffer suspension (which some find harsh unless they ditch the run flats), and a Sport button which changes the steering to a heavier feel and changes throttle mapping. Steering and throttle mapping are probably the biggest difference, except for things like an M sport steering wheel or M sport seats--neither of which I can tell you a lot about. You can always switch to an aftermarket suspension package, or 80,000 miles, it may be due for one anyway.

As far as a repair it depends on the quality of the work. A well done repair shouldn't be a concern. But a PPI wouldn't be a bad idea on either at that mileage--they may be due for a suspension refresh, brake rotors, etc., in which case you can drive down the price or know to pass.

Prices? KBB, Edmunds--many others are the best bet as is location. Sales tend to slow in cooler climates this time of year but less so in southern states or SoCal or AZ.

2004 Z4 Sport Package - What's in it? http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327538
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

if mine is still available after tomorrow you welcome to stop and look at it.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211344

Otherwise, if they are not beat, that's not a bad price. If not already done +1 on FCABs, RTABs, shock/strut with all mounting components, sway bar links. Really depends on whether it was run hard through the twisties all the time or not. Most likely not if it the cars are in Miami. And this stuff doesn't necessarily need to be done right away -probably within 20-30k. If autoboxes you might want to think about tranny fluid; water pump/thermostat too.

SI's all came with staggered wheels, sport suspension, slightly larger brakes and sport button. This is the Z4 sport package. M-sport seats were an option. M sport steering wheels were not an option but lots of us have put them on. I adapted mine for the paddle shifters and loved it.

These are very toss-able, fun cars, that if maintained, will probably do 200k without a problem. Only issue I had was suspension related. When I first bought it at 30k miles, as a CPO, it was twitchy at speed. Had it aligned by a reputable shop(not BMW); turned out front and rear toe in were almost non-existent.
Bottom line: Alignment and suspension need to be maintained correctly and rubber wear parts(FCABs/RTABs) need to be replaced at 60-80k. If not, its not fun, doesn't track so well, and don't blink at speed.
Even when this car is correctly set up and maintained there is just a little too much assist/too tight a ratio in the steering. It will go, where you point it; predictably, but quickly. Many autocrossers love this as its great in the twisties.

Good luck and hope you find a gem like mine.
Bruce
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0