ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Z4Oak
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Questions about puttingg a magnaflow on my 2.5

I want to put a magnaflow 14805 on my 2.5 . When i go to the muffler shop do i just tell them to remove the stock exhaust and install the magnaflow? Also what do you guys think about this particular part on a z4? Im looking for a little more of a power sound .
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Every muffler shop out there should be able to do what you're asking for. Just tell them exactly what you said above and they'll take it from there.

I took a look at the part# and found the tip diameter is 3.5 inches. That's huge lol. I wouldn't do it but if you really want to I can sell you this exact muffler I have on my e39. I'll be more than happy to get rid of it lol.

Do some research on how 3 inch diameter tip looks first. I think you should go with 3 inches.

CORRECTION: I have part# 14816. Same thing but the tips extend a little further out.

Last edited by UntzUntzUntz; 09-14-2015 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
Z4Oak
United_States
Rep

i was going to go with the 12468 with added tips because i read someone on this forum did it a while ago and it sounded great . But i read he took off a bunch of oher stuff for it to fit. I thought since the 14805 is shorter in overall size muffler wise , it would be the better option. I saw a guy on youtube with it on a z4 it sounded good too

Last edited by Z4Oak; 09-14-2015 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Z4Oak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Every muffler shop out there should be able to do what you're asking for. Just tell them exactly what you said above and they'll take it from there.

I took a look at the part# and found the tip diameter is 3.5 inches. That's huge lol. I wouldn't do it but if you really want to I can sell you this exact muffler I have on my e39. I'll be more than happy to get rid of it lol.

Do some research on how 3 inch diameter tip looks first. I think you should go with 3 inches.

CORRECTION: I have part# 14816. Same thing but the tips extend a little further out.
^^
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Magnaflows are good. I had a twin setup on a Z3M of mine years ago and it sounded great for about 1/3 the cost of a name system.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Whatever the diameter of the pipe is, do NOT get anything smaller than that size. Assuming the 2.5L z4's have 2.5 inch diameter exhaust piping, do not get a muffler that has a diameter of 2.25 inches, for example. Just not good for exhaust flow.

The smallest ones I can find for Mangaflow's that are 2.5 inch inlets & outlets:
- 11379 (satin finish )
- 14379 (polished finish )

Since the outlet of these mufflers are 2.5 inches, you're gonna need tips that go from a 2.5 inch to a 3 or 3.5 inch, whichever one you want.

This makes it easier for the muffler guy to install it, for the car to breathe better, and just piece of mind that you did the job the right way.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
Z4Oak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whatever the diameter of the pipe is, do NOT get anything smaller than that size. Assuming the 2.5L z4's have 2.5 inch diameter exhaust piping, do not get a muffler that has a diameter of 2.25 inches, for example. Just not good for exhaust flow.

The smallest ones I can find for Mangaflow's that are 2.5 inch inlets & outlets:
- 11379 (satin finish )
- 14379 (polished finish )

Since the outlet of these mufflers are 2.5 inches, you're gonna need tips that go from a 2.5 inch to a 3 or 3.5 inch, whichever one you want.

This makes it easier for the muffler guy to install it, for the car to breathe better, and just piece of mind that you did the job the right way.

Hope this helps, good luck!
cool! I think im going to go with That 14379 . So just to be clear removing the oem exhaust to replace it with this magnaflow, isnt gna affect the cars performance negatively? Or cause any future problems on the car? Thanks for all the help man , im just new to all this stuff and dont want to mess up the car. i appreciate all the help

Also what tips like on summit racing will fit ? Could u post me a link to some
good ones that will fit the 14379
Should i remove the resonators too? Will it give it less drone, better sound?

Last edited by Z4Oak; 09-15-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Oak View Post
cool! I think im going to go with That 14379 . So just to be clear removing the oem exhaust to replace it with this magnaflow, isnt gna affect the cars performance negatively? Or cause any future problems on the car? Thanks for all the help man , im just new to all this stuff and dont want to mess up the car. i appreciate all the help

Also what tips like on summit racing will fit ? Could u post me a link to some
good ones that will fit the 14379
Should i remove the resonators too? Will it give it less drone, better sound?
Glad I can help brotha.

Positive:
- Slightly better exhaust flow, but far from being anything near noticeable.
- Less weight. Carry the OEM muffler after you install the Magnaflows.
- The SOUND.
- You might get a spike in more relationships.

Negative:
- I don't think it'll be loud enough but it might attract cops. After all, we do live in CA.
- You'll drop in MPG because... well... you're gonna be driving a little faster than usual.

Regarding the tips, you can find them anywhere. Summit, eBay, Amazon, local Autozone shop, even some muffler shops might have some in stock. As long as the inlet is 2.5" and outlet is 3" (whatever size you want) you're solid. Here's one I found I think will look nice: http://www.amazon.com/Yonaka-Outlet-.../dp/B009R6ZTQ8

Regarding the resonators, it's the resonators that's keeping the car from drone. Keep the resonators in tact and you won't experience any drone. Hopefully someone from the 2.5L family can chime in on this setup.

Just a couple tips from my experience:
- Don't base your final decision on YouTube videos. You'll be surprised how different they sound in person.
- Consult with a local reputable shop just to plot where and how everything will be installed so you don't jump into any surprises on the day of installation. Often times they'll even cut you a deal if you buy the muffler from them so be sure to ask.

Last edited by UntzUntzUntz; 09-15-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
3.5" tips will be fine. That's what I have and I think they look good. But I wouldn't expect much of a power bump from a muffler swap alone. Your butt may say otherwise but the bottleneck is the cats, not the muffler. You'll save 5-10lbs and get some better flow and sound. Point is do it for looks and sound but not for performance.

09-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #10
Z4Oak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad I can help brotha.

Positive:
- Slightly better exhaust flow, but far from being anything near noticeable.
- Less weight. Carry the OEM muffler after you install the Magnaflows.
- The SOUND.
- You might get a spike in more relationships.

Negative:
- I don't think it'll be loud enough but it might attract cops. After all, we do live in CA.
- You'll drop in MPG because... well... you're gonna be driving a little faster than usual.

Regarding the tips, you can find them anywhere. Summit, eBay, Amazon, local Autozone shop, even some muffler shops might have some in stock. As long as the inlet is 2.5" and outlet is 3" (whatever size you want) you're solid. Here's one I found I think will look nice: http://www.amazon.com/Yonaka-Outlet-.../dp/B009R6ZTQ8

Regarding the resonators, it's the resonators that's keeping the car from drone. Keep the resonators in tact and you won't experience any drone. Hopefully someone from the 2.5L family can chime in on this setup.

Just a couple tips from my experience:
- Don't base your final decision on YouTube videos. You'll be surprised how different they sound in person.
- Consult with a local reputable shop just to plot where and how everything will be installed so you don't jump into any surprises on the day of installation. Often times they'll even cut you a deal if you buy the muffler from them so be sure to ask.
So i got the 14379 , with some tips from summit racing i just got them delivered yesterday. I was looking into this some more and i read on another thread someone saying that it needs to be a muffler with an offset inlet for it to work. This one is centered , did i mess up getting this muffler? :/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 02:02 AM   #11
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Oak View Post
So i got the 14379 , with some tips from summit racing i just got them delivered yesterday. I was looking into this some more and i read on another thread someone saying that it needs to be a muffler with an offset inlet for it to work. This one is centered , did i mess up getting this muffler? :/
The muffler you got has 2 inlets and 2 outlets, correct? If so then you got the correct one.

The one you read about is probably on an M; maybe even my post, as I have that setup on my car. The M's have a single exhaust pipe leading to each individual muffler while your car has 2 pipes leading to the muffler. You can't have 2 inlets both be offset.

Check out this thread: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687247

This is what your car is going to look like after you install it, except with a muffler behind those tips. Don't worry, you're fine
Appreciate 0