ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Retrodog
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

What Else to Get Serviced on My Z4?

What it is:

2003 Z4, 2.5i
41,000 miles
Recent oil change and lube

I just bought this car last week. The carfax report shows it going in to my local BMW dealership regularly. But not sure what some of the "Vehicle Serviced" remarks really include. The last time it was at the actual dealership was 6/27/11. There's a slow coolant leak (looks like a hose) that I'm taking it in next Wednesday for. What's else is likely to need servicing while it's in there? I've just had the car for one week and am new to the whole BMW scene so that's why I'm curious and interested in inputs.

I realize that I could ask the service rep, but am interested in more unbiased opinions.

Thanks.
      03-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Congratulations on your new car...I'm a fairly new to BMW owner as well with my 2004 3.0i.

If the car was BMW serviced then any dealer can plug your key into their computer and print you a service history report. They can also give you the build sheet for the car with all the options it came with.

Something to check around 50K is the DISA Valve on the intake. It's only a 10 minute DIY to check it out. Only 2 Torx screws and loosening up the air intake clamps to get clearance. This is not something BMW looks at as standard preventive maintenance unless it's making noise.

The issue is that the plastic parts wear and the valve can break up.There is a metal pin securing the plastic vane that could destroy your engine if the valve breaks up and the pins get sucked into a cylinder. Miy DISA was toast by around 55k and making noise but luckily the pin was still secure and had not done any damage. If you Google DISA Valve you will find many threads on the issue. When the valve gets worn it starts flapping in the intake and makes a rattle noise a bit like noisy lifters. I suggest the valve be replaced every 50K... there is also an option to rebuild the DISA with an aftermarket aluminum vane and stainless screw that some have used.
Appreciate 0