ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #67
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

I am glad this thread bumped back up, I missed it when it first started.

Overall, I have been disappointed with the low end response of the premium package system in my '07 M Coupe. I tried adjusting the levels and testing the different DSP settings but just could not reach anything I found to be acceptable. The DSP mostly resulted in the subs distorting horribly at anything above moderate volume levels. At this point I have left it at the flat settings with no DSP and just live with the fact it is not very good.

I used to have a MkV VW GTI with the standard stereo and it had very similar low end distortion. Sometimes the only way to get it to stop was to shut off the system and turn it on again. It was very sensitive on where the bass level was set.

I think a lot of systems over promise with their fancy marketing (Carver, THX, etc) and under deliver. The stereo in my 986 Boxter sucked but it didn't claim to be anything fancy so I expected little from it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #68
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

diokaef, i believe the same aluminum trim is found on the headlight knob as well? it is a nice aesthetic touch, although hopefully u're enjoying ur m's stereo as much as i'm enjoying mine.

mhrir, quite strange that u experience bass distortion. i can be blasting music (so much so that u can hear the bass thumping outside the car fully closed) and i get absolutely pristine reproduction of bass, no distortion whatsoever. there may be plastic bits in the car that start rattling due to the frequency response, but otherwise i'm getting good clarity throughout the frequency range.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #69
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
I have Nav and the DSP with THX. I'm a progressive house dj, so my listening tastes are a bit more bass-heavy, 4-on-the-floor style most of the time.
But I can say that this system sounds quite good and I'm thinking that it may be isolated incidents. I have the very last 08 build for a TS Z4MC. Maybe BMW fixed the issue in the late going?

I'm used to tearing everything out of my rides, putting in a zero-power pre-amp head unit running two amps. One to my Vifa component fronts and one to my Peerless 12" sub. It's a very sweet system designed for imaging and quality rather than window-rattling db. But I'm planning on keeping the stock system because it sounds great. (A proper CD sounds WAY better than thru AUX, despite any cable you're running btw)

Having said that, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE RATTLE? It is slowly going to make me nuts. Has anyone taken the needed steps to correct it? Advice?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #70
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
(A proper CD sounds WAY better than thru AUX, despite any cable you're running btw)

Having said that, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE RATTLE? It is slowly going to make me nuts. Has anyone taken the needed steps to correct it? Advice?
+1 on using a proper CD as opposed to channeling output via AUX. as for the rattle, i'm noticing it on the speakers directly in front of the hand holds, but it's inconsistent depending on road speed, road quality, volume and genre of music. maybe u could add some tape on the inside to reduce the vibrations causing the rattling? i'd probably first take it to the dealership and ask what they can do about the rattling.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #71
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
I found out that I have logic 7 and not Carver 10 speakers on mine and that is the reason for my stereo being different, but I really thought that the logic 7 was only on newer models. Anyone have Logic 7 on the 08 Z4M?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #72
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

How do you know? I have the 10 speaker and it sounds pretty good for being factory. It says business CD on the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #73
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
I was told by the dealer. not that they know what they are talking about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #74
davebho
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

old thread but i am bumping it

i have an 06 coupe, with nav, and sounds like crap. Anyone have the same, M coupe, with Nav that they'd be willing to meet me in SF to compare?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #75
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

I would offer, but I upgraded my car with the BSW stage 1 kit. This doesn't replace the subs, but distinctly benefits the midrange and really helps the high-end, so it would make it a much tougher comparison than a stock system.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #76
davebho
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

just looked up that kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
I would offer, but I upgraded my car with the BSW stage 1 kit. This doesn't replace the subs, but distinctly benefits the midrange and really helps the high-end, so it would make it a much tougher comparison than a stock system.
Just looked up that bsw stage 1 kit, 'backordered' and about $250. Is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #77
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

The acoustics for bass loading are different between the Roadster and Coupe. The "Carver" based drivers seem to work effectively in the Roadster, but after reading the varied complaints about the Coupe, the bass loading characteristics seem to be part of it. But you would think that BMW took that into real consideration when dropping in the THX premium system into the Coupe after they in fact designed the system for the Roadster.
The Coupe hatch/cavity is essentially a bass pocket/trap. Optimally, for those that are looking to do custom audio, the best bass loading would occur with the subwoofer drivers mounted or facing as far back there, in a box, as possible. Not sure what BSW is recommending but it looks like they have some sub cabinet options.
But then you're sacrificing space for bass. Ever the compromise for sound vs. utility....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #78
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebho View Post
Just looked up that bsw stage 1 kit, 'backordered' and about $250. Is it worth it?
TBH I was not blown away, given that the installation takes at least a couple hours of relatively careful work. However, I'm anticipating they will have other "stages" eventually and the OEM fitiment is really valuable. If you drive a lot and/or use your stereo 90% of the time you drive, it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #79
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebho View Post
With the Carver Top Hi Fi, the main advantage of the BSW stage 1 is the silk dome tweeters. The mids are nice, don't get me wrong, but the improvement over the Carver system mids is not as noticable as the improvement the silk tweets provide. I am happy I did the upgrade. I hope they come out soon with a replacement woofer for the kick panels. The existing woofer we have though is pretty good, so any option they offer needs to be first rate. You have the coupe, have you been reading the threads about the amp coding in the coupes that seems to screw the pooch compared to the coding on the roadsters? A few coupe guys here have swaped out their amps for roadster coded amps and noticed a big difference.

John
Appreciate 0