ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Fatty, I know you asked Nekky, and I hope you two don't mind me adding my two cents. I've spent some time in a tuned 335 with an N54 and the power delivery is totally different: the S54 has all the power up high in the rev range and gets quite frantic as you run up the revs; the N54 has a lot of power down low and runs out of breath higher up in the rev range.

IMO compared to a stock 335 the E85/6 probably is a bit faster and feels faster too (adding to the sensation of speed) because it's a more raw feeling car. The E85/6 is much less insulated from the road, you feel things a lot more, and the car is a lot more "nervous" feeling in many ways than the E92 335i.

0-60 for the E85/6 is around 4.8 seconds. IIRC a tuned 335i is around 4.6 seconds to 60 (like a stage I tune), and a stock one is around 5 seconds. You'd know better than I what the performance specs are, especially with a tune (my "tune" knowledge on that platform is about 4 years out of date).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #24
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Fatty, I know you asked Nekky, and I hope you two don't mind me adding my two cents. I've spent some time in a tuned 335 with an N54 and the power delivery is totally different: the S54 has all the power up high in the rev range and gets quite frantic as you run up the revs; the N54 has a lot of power down low and runs out of breath higher up in the rev range.

IMO compared to a stock 335 the E85/6 probably is a bit faster and feels faster too (adding to the sensation of speed) because it's a more raw feeling car. The E85/6 is much less insulated from the road, you feel things a lot more, and the car is a lot more "nervous" feeling in many ways than the E92 335i.

0-60 for the E85/6 is around 4.8 seconds. IIRC a tuned 335i is around 4.6 seconds to 60 (like a stage I tune), and a stock one is around 5 seconds. You'd know better than I what the performance specs are, especially with a tune (my "tune" knowledge on that platform is about 4 years out of date).

Dear Fatty,

Yep, this is pretty accurate from Finnegan here. Although I do stand by what I say, that a stock Z4M is quite a bit quicker than a 335i. My E92 was an 07 with about 55000 miles and in good shape, so it should have been running properly. My reference point here is my buddy's 09 TL SH-AWD. MY 335i was absolutely dead nuts even with his TL, and he has a J-pipe and intake installed. Did several highway runs even up to 180 km/h (yes, I know this isn't safe.. don't do it often and I have a perfectly clean driving record) and the cars are neck and neck.. Quite strange actually given the HP and TQ figures for both cars, plus the 335i being generally considered under-rated from the factory (and more TQ). Anyway, last run we did quickly against my new E86 was to maybe 130 km/h or so, and with him starting in 2nd and either damn-close-to, or already in VTEC (don't quite remember), and me starting in 3rd, I absolutely walked him. He's a good driver and I've spent lots and lots of time with him in the TL. The Z4M is simply faster in every way. And yes, it does *feel* quite a bit more raw than an E92 - that's an understatement. I'd love to go for a pull against a JB4 335i. There's a guy I know here that has a JB+ (I think this is the ~360hp version, correct?) and I still think that it will be very close but ultimately the Z4M will at the very least be equally as quick.

Not that I bought this car to "be cool" or anything of the like; I think we all know why we buy them... but all the thumbs up and looks from people saying to themselves "What the hell is that thing?" or "Nice car!" etc, definitely make driving this car worth it. I've loved the E92 ever since I first laid eyes on it and they are truly beautiful, but the Z4M is in a completely different league.

If you don't own one, please do yourself a favour and drive one to compare for yourself. I'd only ever been in a stock 05 E46 M3 with Millitek exhaust, and was very impressed by the car, but again I think the Z4M has a *completely* different feel to it. Everything about it contributes to it feeling like a "race car". My cousin who has owned several quick machines likened it to driving a well prepared 5.0L from back in the day lol. Not sure I agree, but either way he was very impressed, and it's hard to get that out of him, period.

Happy motoring!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
Fatty Duckets
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Thank you both for your insight. Like yourself Nekky, I have been eyeing a z4m for at least 2 years, but I couldn't pass up a deal on the 335i. I would love a chance at least ride in one, let alone drive it. Only problem is I do not know any owners and dealerships around here in NJ never have one for sale...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #26
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Duckets View Post
Thank you both for your insight. Like yourself Nekky, I have been eyeing a z4m for at least 2 years, but I couldn't pass up a deal on the 335i. I would love a chance at least ride in one, let alone drive it. Only problem is I do not know any owners and dealerships around here in NJ never have one for sale...
Where in NJ are you?
      03-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Fatty Duckets
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

I am in Stanhope/Netcong off route 80...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
cool - sending pm, I dont want to thread jack