ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Bent front lug bolt...hub removal/replacement

As the title says, I bent a front lug bolt the last time I put my wheels on. I found this out when I was removing my wheels for CDV delete and brake fluid flush.

I tried to retap the old hub, but my harbor freight tap set was softer than the hub. It ended up destroying my M12 by 1.5 mm tap. So I ordered a new hub, dust cover, hub nut, and lug bolts from GetBMWparts and waited for a week.

In the meantime, I did some research and found this youtube video for guidance (it has two parts):
http://youtu.be/OU2xSBvXA5g

The old hub came right off...leaving the inner race behind

Removal was easy with this 3 arm puller, I just put a socket extension in the hub to brace against.

Here's the naked stub shaft

It seemed like forever until I got my new parts in the mail. Here is the inner bearing dust shield

I used a bearing race installer to install the new hub. I made sure that the race installer only contacted the bearing surface and not any part of the hub.

Two days later, I finally had the 20 minutes of spare time to put the brakes back together and take her for a test drive.

Next time the wheels come off....new wheel studs are going on. they're cheaper than hubs and make tire changes easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow, you're sure getting in some wrench time on the new baby!

Nice work. This is a pretty good DIY too! I think it may find a better home in the DIY section than the general forum--maybe ask a mod to move it? (Just takes a PM.)
Appreciate 0