ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
ZcuatroM
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Diff. Shop in AZ / Going 4.10

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and new to BMW. After doing much reading in different forums, I decided to go with 4.10 instead of the Euro headers and tune. I was reading that the acceleration gain is huge, and more cost effective. I was able to purchase the 4.10 from BMW Motorsports for $698 (non in USA, coming from Germany). Anyways, I am trying to find a shop with a good rep. to install them in AZ. Any suggestions? Last question, do I need to get them polished?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZcuatroM View Post
Last question, do I need to get them polished?
Gears really do wake up the car. Good luck finding a shop, hopefully someone will chime in. If no one does, look for hot-rod or off-road shops with impeccable reputation doing diff work.

As for the polishing, you don't need to but if you can afford it why not. The 4.10 gears used to already come shot-peened which is the most important part as it increases the surface strength of the gears. Polishing should reduce friction a bit, reducing temperature and making the break-in a little easier.

Read up on this forum as there's a few good threads about gears, there's my thread here, philjw's thread and starscreams thread.
      06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 roadster

There is a guy in Mesa that I use for a lot of my work (on various vehicles, not just BMW). I have not personally had him do BMW gears but he has done gears in my Camaro, truck, and Tahoe and they were all done right. He mentioned he has done BMW gears (perhaps in an E36.. don't remember). PERSONALLY I'd trust him to do MY gears (he is doing the machining work on my 383 that is going in my Z4).

As far as polishing, if you have the money definitely do it. It will lower the temps and should make them run quieter.
      06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
ZcuatroM
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Thank you all for your info
Appreciate 0