ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Spedracer81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Need for speed..

Beside the obvious (CAI,Exhaust,ECU) what else can I do to get some more power? Without going crazy and supercharging anything else I can bolt on so I can stomp on my friends Subaru..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Light weight flywheel, Performance ignition coils, complete fluid change (motor, tranny, rear end), re-gear the rear end, tune.

The ones you mentioned make the other more effective.
2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

CAI and Exhaust are not proven to give more power. If you did the full exhaust: a freer flowing cat + x-pipe + exhaust it's more likely, but no one has posted dynos to prove it. Headers will still provide more power than full exhaust.

Proven ways to increase speed: euro headers, tune, more aggressive differential gearing. The other thing you can do is lose weight: racing seats, lightweight battery, lightweight wheels, etc.

Losing weight is often overlooked, but if you look at the 2012 cayman R (which has a 4.2 0-60) it has virtually the same HP/torque figures as the Z4 M but weighs 100+ lbs less. There are a LOT of other differences (PDK, etc.) but you get the idea.
      11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ +1 hammer....nail....on head
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Torque is what shoves you down the road.
Excluding a supercharger ($5-7K), a rear differential swap at $3K is the biggest bang for the buck. You get 11% more 'effective' torque out of a 4.11 gear set, at the expense of top end speed, which you'll probably never use in a convertible anyway. I rarely see >130.

The diff swap is also visually indistinguishable from stock, if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Spedracer81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

all great ideas, but I'm trying to keep the car stock, or at least make changes that are easily reversible...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

headers, gears, and a tune to take advantage of the headers. Everything else is a waste of money.

and then you'll get a supercharger when you realized you spent $3000 to make 30rwhp
      11-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

OP - are you able to turn off traction control off.... hit sport mode and take off as fast as possible form a red light without loosing traction?

I ask.... cus I couldn't. Even thought I need new tires, I practice every time I get a chance and without loosing traction - When I do that I can see the speedometer clime up much quicker.

One time at a red light a dude in a little KIA with a loud exhaust got on my left side and rev it few times... I looked at him - it was clear he wanted some.... when the light turned green I sat on the same spot burning my tires while he took off.... once I changed to 2nd gear I caught up to him and past him - by the time I shift to 3rd... he was tiny in my rear view mirror... you know what I mean?

Don't floor it in 1st or 2nd... learn that trick and let me know if that helps.

I totally agree with what other members have suggested and I'm heading that way. I already have euro headers, I added my name to the list to buy DKF straight S-pipes and I'm ordering my tune this weekend. Now that it's cold/winter I hope to find me a good deal on ultra high perf summer tires. AND I'll be killing the mod-bug once and for all..... I hope

Drive safe.
Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffchaPz View Post
OP - are you able to turn off traction control off.... hit sport mode and take off as fast as possible form a red light without loosing traction?

I ask.... cus I couldn't. Even thought I need new tires, I practice every time I get a chance and without loosing traction - When I do that I can see the speedometer clime up much quicker.

One time at a red light a dude in a little KIA with a loud exhaust got on my left side and rev it few times... I looked at him - it was clear he wanted some.... when the light turned green I sat on the same spot burning my tires while he took off.... once I changed to 2nd gear I caught up to him and past him - by the time I shift to 3rd... he was tiny in my rear view mirror... you know what I mean?

Don't floor it in 1st or 2nd... learn that trick and let me know if that helps.

I totally agree with what other members have suggested and I'm heading that way. I already have euro headers, I added my name to the list to buy DKF straight S-pipes and I'm ordering my tune this weekend. Now that it's cold/winter I hope to find me a good deal on ultra high perf summer tires. AND I'll be killing the mod-bug once and for all..... I hope

Drive safe.
Jeff.
lolwut? sport mode to launch faster in 1st gear? Don't floor it in 1st or 2nd?

1. Sport mode makes it really really difficult to launch this car at the limit of slip and optimal acceleration.
2. I have GOOD tires, and when they're warm, I go full throttle in 2nd AND 1st gear putting down at least 400rwhp with minimal wheelspin
3. The ideal launch isn't without wheelspin. Its with about 10% wheelspin

get some better tires, hit a real place you can learn to launch a car without going to jail (quarter mile racetrack), and then come back with advice. I don't like calling people out, but I couldn't just let this "advice" sit here.
      11-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well... if I do.... I'll be smoking my tires and not moving much.... I'm sure my tires have a lot do with the problem... the trick is to push the car to the point where it barely looses some traction.... my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Well... if I do.... I'll be smoking my tires and not moving much.... I'm sure my tires have a lot do with the problem... the trick is to push the car to the point where it barely looses some traction.... my opinion.
you should be able to go full throttle in 2nd gear, on warm tires, and not lose any traction, unless you're high performance summer tires and its under 60*F outside. Then you just have to lower your rear pressure to about 28psi, and warm them up a little bit.

What size/brand tires do you have on right now and how cold is it outside?

I'm not arguing the point that you need to push the car until it barely loses some traction, just the sport mode, your full throttle comment as its all because of your tires/pressures/temperature
      11-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

The topic of launching this car deserves a whole seperate thread, cause we didn't even begin talking about how to modulate the clutch and what RPM to launch at.... 2 more huge factors in laying down a good launch
      11-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
you should be able to go full throttle in 2nd gear, on warm tires, and not lose any traction, unless you're high performance summer tires and its under 60*F outside. Then you just have to lower your rear pressure to about 28psi, and warm them up a little bit.

What size/brand tires do you have on right now and how cold is it outside?

I'm not arguing the point that you need to push the car until it barely loses some traction, just the sport mode, your full throttle comment as its all because of your tires/pressures/temperature

Z - I cant remember the exact model name right now.... but I know they are Yokahama.... and I know for sure they are not high performance tires. Last time I tried this it was about 80 some degrees few weeks ago.... I def have no traction in 2nd gear around 4 - 5 k
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

The best bang for your buck is a 4.10 diff or you can throw tiny wheels on there!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Z - I cant remember the exact model name right now.... but I know they are Yokahama.... and I know for sure they are not high performance tires. Last time I tried this it was about 80 some degrees few weeks ago.... I def have no traction in 2nd gear around 4 - 5 k
yeah, if it was 80* you need to upgrade tires my man. My personal recommendation is bridgestone re-11.
      11-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
a rear differential swap at $3K
Just wanted to chime in that it really isn't that much if you look around. Gears can be bought then shot peened, REM polished and installed in your existing diff for less than 1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedracer81 View Post
all great ideas, but I'm trying to keep the car stock, or at least make changes that are easily reversible...
Then get wheels/tires. Any other mod (exhaust/CAI) will be for noise. Doesn't mean they're not worth it though.

Quote:
I def have no traction in 2nd gear around 4 - 5 k
An NA car should have no issues with traction with warm summer tires. First I can only spin if I intentionally try to, second all I get is a chirp if I have a good shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
The best bang for your buck is a 4.10 diff or you can throw tiny wheels on there!
A 4.10 diff with 275/35 rear tires is almost exactly 15% more torque. That's a little bit more torque than ESS stage 1.

Last edited by beta; 11-21-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

OP, Buy a Corvette. If your friend has a WRX STi, you are not going to keep up.

Jeff: Tire smoking and street racing Kia's? How old are you?

Last edited by Yeggman; 11-22-2012 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: na
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
OP, Buy a Corvette. If your friend has a WRX STi, you are not going to keep up.
+1...if all you're looking for is cheap, straight line speed...you picked the wrong car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
yeah, if it was 80* you need to upgrade tires my man. My personal recommendation is bridgestone re-11.

REs are def in my radar....

Any thoughts on Toyo R888? My car is loud enough already so tire noise shoudn't bother me.... http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/R888.htm

Yeg... I'm 93
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Quote:
[/URL]

Yeg... I'm 93

I figured as much Young whippersnappers are always stirring up trouble.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedracer81 View Post
Without going crazy and supercharging anything else I can bolt on so I can stomp on my friends Subaru..
honestly, take a leisurely drive in the mountains.
Appreciate 0