ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Additional Oil Cooling for 3.0Si Cars?

I've been following the thread on bearing wear and those that track their Z4M with interest. There appears to be a general consensus that additional oil cooling, typically with a larger cooler, significantly extends bearing life. It's even suggested that those who only autox would benefit.

I looked through realoem and found a listing and diagram for what appears to be a small external oil cooler on our cars. After looking at my car I can't find it.

Question 1: Would this be something beneficial to owners of Si models? Particularly those who autox or track their cars in the warmer parts of the country?
Question 2: If we already have an external oil cooler, how hard would it be to re-route the lines and install a larger cooler?
      01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Pete C
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 SI

For the 3.0Si the stock oil cooler is really a heat exchanger located next to the oil filter cap. It uses engine coolant to stabilize the oil temperature and aids in cold oil warm-up. BMW's in general usually have high oil temps in competition driving. Long hill climbs being one of the worst as there's less cooling air flow. I wouldn't worry about short track auto-Xing but an oil temperature gauge would be nice like on the old Z3 M coupes.

Con-rod bearing stress goes up with the square of rpm so I only briefly visit redline

Last edited by Pete C; 01-29-2013 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: 3.0Si reference
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

I was definitely looking in the wrong place, thanks for the location. An oil temp gauge sounds like a good place to start. I had considered a gauge set in the past and somehow got sidetracked, looks like another project. Thanks again.