ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Rear tire wear - opinions needed

So need some advice on my tires/setup etc....

I had the rear tires off recently and noticed that the inside of both tires are really worn (camber), they look like are done! I find it really odd why they are worn so much because I put these on brand new about 6000-7000 (KM) ago (last July) and right after the install I had an alignment done. I don't drive the car hard, some spirited driving but nothing crazy. Last week I had another alignment done just to check again and the tech said that it was a tiny bit off but nothing crazy that should cause this much wear. I stopped by the place I got the tires installed last year and they said this is normal wear for a summer tire about and they would only last 10,000 KM. Is that right, 10,000KM is normal? I just find that really odd. BTW the tire is Ohtsu FP8000 which per the tire shop is the exact same tire as the Falken 452s I have in the front but re-branded as Ohtsu since Falken stopped making the 452 and started with the 453. For reference the rear Falken 452 I replace last year were worn roughly the same pattern but I got roughly 15,000 KM out of them. And just to note the fronts are still no where near the wear bars.

So before I go out and get another set of tires I would like to know;
  1. is 10,000 KM normal life for a summer tire?
  2. is there something wrong with my setup that would be an obvious indication of this wear?
  3. is the Falken and Ohtsu just a crappy tire?
  4. if I bought better tires would I have the same result?
  5. is it possible that the rim is too wide and I should go narrower?
  6. is it possible that the spacer is causing the excessive camber wear

Here's the setup:
Rears 19x10, et 38 +15mm spacer
Ohtsu F8000 275/30/19

Thanks in advance for the input!

Photo below is only of the rear right.

Name:  Z4M.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  525.7 KB
Attached Images

2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

It's a combination of rear camber and toe, compounded by running bigger rubber pushed out further.
Your rear camber is past max (normal with lowered), they brought that down which should help.

I get really good tire wear running 1/8" total rear toe (0.27°)
OE toe settings are very conservative they set up the car to understeer.

What condition are your RTABs in?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 08-11-2016 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
So before I go out and get another set of tires I would like to know;
  1. is 10,000 KM normal life for a summer tire?
  2. is there something wrong with my setup that would be an obvious indication of this wear?
  3. is the Falken and Ohtsu just a crappy tire?
  4. if I bought better tires would I have the same result?
  5. is it possible that the rim is too wide and I should go narrower?
  6. is it possible that the spacer is causing the excessive camber wear
1: No

2: Yes. Wear is common for more than 2º of negative camber on super soft supper tires in the rear

3: Falken (and the Ohtsu which is the same company) are tier 3 tire companies. Meaning they're below the top tier brands like Yokohama, Michelin, BF Goodrich, and Bridgestone, and is a tier below some of the bigger Korean players (Kumho, Hankook, etc) and competes with the likes of smaller manufacturers like Toyo and Nitto. They're not crappy tires. But they're not top tier stuff either. In the tire industry pecking order, they're like the slightly overweight girl with braces that you take to the prom because you got rejected by the prom queen and the cheer leaders, and the hot librarian girl is going with her nerdy gay friend. Who knows, in the right conditions you may get lucky...And if the lights off who cares?

4: Yes

5: No. Wheel width has little to no effect here.

6: Yes, although to what extent I can't say. Imaging a swinging arm, which your rear suspension is. The more it compresses, the more "camber" angle it gains. And the further out you move that arm, the BIGGER the difference that angle makes against the plane of the ground. In theory. But if you're on a 10-15mm spacer? That's like extending that arm out 1-2% more. Shouldn't make a HUGE difference.

Judging by your alignment numbers, I assume you're lowered. A lot. A 2º negative camber will result in moderate inside tire wear. What you have there would suggest to me that you had more than 2º of negative camber. Don't forget, rear camber is dynamic, when you put weight in the rear or accelerate briskly, a lot, you also shift weight to the back which increases rear camber angle. If you don't track the car, I would suggest bringing it to an alignment shop and see if they can bring it closer to 1-1.5º negative camber to ease and alleviate the wear, or flip the tires on the wheels if they're symmetrical without inside/outside marker and directionality.

But that is pretty extreme wear for what amounts to only about 5,000miles of driving. I had the same FK452 tires on my Subaru and those lasted well over 30,000 miles before the NOISE forced me to change them, not the wear.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0