ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Is this where we are headed?

Could be something good, could be something bad.

OTA ReFlashing....

"Our cars run millions of lines of code that need constant and, often, critical updates. Jim Motavalli writes that Mercedes-Benz's new mbrace2 'cloud infotainment system' has a secret capability: it can update software automatically and wirelessly. In a process called 'reflashing,' the Mercedes system turns on the car operating system (CU), downloads the new application, then cuts itself off. With companies like Fisker paying dearly for constant recalls for software problems, automakers will likely rush to embrace this technology. No more USBs in the dashboard!"
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep
Drives: 2010 M6

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Big brother will be watching your driving habits.
BMWCCA #442445

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Randy23185
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
goformitch
MITCHIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model S

I don't really see a problem with this. Obviously there will be safeguards in place not to update while the vehicle is in motion and I would assume that you'd be able to authorize or opt out of the service depending on conditions. There is no way a major manufacturer is going to force feed something like that to every single one of their new car buyers without some give.

It would be nice and convenient. If there is a problem, the dealer picks up the car and fixes it!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I don't like it
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greene08 View Post
I don't really see a problem with this. Obviously there will be safeguards in place not to update while the vehicle is in motion and I would assume that you'd be able to authorize or opt out of the service depending on conditions. There is no way a major manufacturer is going to force feed something like that to every single one of their new car buyers without some give.

It would be nice and convenient. If there is a problem, the dealer picks up the car and fixes it!
It's not about the safeguards. It's about the company changing something on YOUR car without permission. There are so many ways this can be abused, it scary...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

what would stop them for them saying that you HAVE to agree to updates. Then you cant tune your car etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I agree with Ship. It's all about the rights of ownership of a product.

Does the manufacturer get to dictate what tires we run? Which brake fluid we use? Do they get to decide to change major operating parameters of the vehicle (which was purchased with certain parameters) to other parameters, thereby making material changes to the product after transfer of ownership to the buyer? Put another way, can the publisher of a book come into your home, take the book, and remove pages 123-150, or remove those pages and replace them with other pages? I will decide what I do with product when I own it--that's the whole point (and set of rights) that go with ownership.

I can see a valid argument that for a leased vehicle they have this right. But where the company is not the owner of the product they do not have the right to change the product without the consent of the owner.

If appropriate controls are put in place to prevent unauthorized modification, there could be pluses here. But the potential for abuse and misuse is huge. Not to mention pulling data on driving habits, speed, and so on. Iphone or Android address books and other data pilfering by corporations we're seen recently, without permission, gives some real reason to pause about these "wonderful capabilities".

If you really want to find something to worry about, consider this. The Feds plan to make it a requirement that cars "talk" to each other over a network. That metrics such as speed, direction, GPS location, and etc. all be shared between vehicles for "safety reasons" (no doubt they're throw in the "protect the children angle" too). Note that this means tracking every little piece of your driving from point a to point b--speed, cornering speed, stops (or rolling stops), etc. Talk about Big Brother....now we'll just track you 100% of the time and ticket you by mail. Next step, if you think about it, is to remove the driver completely with self-driving cars (which a lot of the public would want), and ban human-based driving completely.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-11-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
If you really want to find something to worry about, consider this. The Feds plan to make it a requirement that cars "talk" to each other over a network. That metrics such as speed, direction, GPS location, and etc. all be shared between vehicles for "safety reasons" (no doubt they're throw in the "protect the children angle" too). Note that this means tracking every little piece of your driving from point a to point b--speed, cornering speed, stops (or rolling stops), etc. Talk about Big Brother....now we'll just track you 100% of the time and ticket you by mail. Next step, if you think about it, is to remove the driver completely with self-driving cars (which a lot of the public would want), and ban human-based driving completely.
I agree it sounds really cool (NOT to ME) to folks that want the big brother to be responsible so they dont have to. But I just dont think we'll ever put our money on it - especially if it requires any sort of infrastructure/thinking ahead. Case in point is in one of the last paragraphs of the same article that announced it.
"This is great technology and it can eliminate 80% of crashes. I saw in the President's budget that we are budgeting only $22 million on this in 2013. AAA says the US spends $300 billion on crashes each year, and Americans spend $160 billion on car insurance premiums. Is there no way to increase this investment and accelerate implementation?"

From the money standpoint its a no-brainer, we should do it. But our legislators just don't make decisions that way. (Good for us, I think?)
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Good point about how sausage gets made in Washington. I'm really not that worried in reality.

The issue around ownership and rights and updating of a product without owner approval is more of a real concern IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Finnegan, I like you. You got a good head on your shoulders. I agree completely. And yes it is scary. Worst part is the people making the rules have no clue about the technologies.

Nice thing is, I won't have to put up with any of this. I'll be driving my Z4 M forever!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I imagine this becoming a warranty excuse if you were to refuse an update.
      04-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

The fact that they can't make a phone or computer work without crashing, lagging or protect against getting hacked makes me not want any of that tech in my car. I especially do not trust them to have my car drive itself, nor do I trust their whole software wireless updating BS. Not a paranoid guy, just thinking logically.

The whole public wants cars that drive themselves is also BS. Lazy society. If you don't like to drive, why wouldn't the emphasis be on making public transit better instead of screwing around with cars. If it was cost effective, realiable, comfortable and practical then people would use it more.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

I don't like it at all!!! If things keep going this way, I will start popping around in my dads Model T... What is next,.... Men In Black shooting me dead on my creeper when I am installing a modified CDV?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysV10 View Post
Big brother will be watching your driving habits.
He already is and his name is Progressive Insurance...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
yeah, but isn't that only if you opt in for that type of rate? I can't see how it would apply to me at this time, unless congress mandates that a progressive type of device is installed in every car.

One of my colleagues in Paris was explaining that there either is a law or that one is being proposed that you must take a breathalyzer before the car can start. Not a bad idea I guess, but...
      04-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

New World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
Caution: Progressive Insurance is owned by George Soros. I do the exact opposite and run the other way on anything he is involved with.
He's a totalitarian new world order maniacal control freak!
      04-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Like us car guys can not "modify" whetever would be released to be able to turn it off or eliminate it altogether. For 95% of drivers out there they would never even know it was going on. For those of us that do we can do something about it for now if it were to come to market.

I think we "americans" need to go twards more of an autobahn style road system but we are too violent and self serving for it to work anymore...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4

imaging it getting hacked....lots of bricked cars
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
jimmybond
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhopkins1394 View Post
Caution: Progressive Insurance is owned by George Soros. I do the exact opposite and run the other way on anything he is involved with.
He's a totalitarian new world order maniacal control freak!
Wait...you mean...FLO doesn't own Progressive?? My world is shattered!

Seriously though...they'd probably then send you a bill for all their automatic updating. And if those updates are anything like what's on phones/computers...well, so much for your car performing well.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybond View Post
Wait...you mean...FLO doesn't own Progressive?? My world is shattered!
Call me a freak, but I think Flo is kinda hot in a dorky 50's way. I'd tap it, specially if I could get better rates. And that zap gun thing too
      05-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Call me a freak, but I think Flo is kinda hot in a dorky 50's way. I'd tap it, specially if I could get better rates. And that zap gun thing too
+1 on FLO, probably cause I am 50, LOL. Just luv fast thinking women and FLO's sharp
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #22
jimmybond
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Yes. Flo. Zap gun. Cheap insurance. I'll have a wet dream tonight....
Appreciate 0