ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-28-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
Midlevel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Electric Steering on 2003 z4 model

Can anyone help? i purchased an '03 Z4. 3.0 model 6 speed manual. There is something seriously wrong with this electronic steering. If it is hot weather I can barely keep this car in the road, I am constantly correcting it and the steering feels "sticky." In cold weather this car drives fine, couldn't ask for a better driving car, but once late spring and summer came, it is more and more difficult to steer. I had it on a trip, stopped the car after 2 hours driving to refuel and could not steer the car at all. The steering was locked, after 2 hours and it cooled off, I could drive it. Any suggestions to the cause, has anyone heard of this being an issue with this year model? The car only had 66K miles on it when I bought it.
Help!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Commonly referred to as "sticky steering issue"…
There is a procedure developed by German enthusiasts, which is now incorporated into the official BMW TIS on adjusting the "lash"… think that's the term used. Basically adjusting the steering mechanism so it doesn't "stick" anymore. It's not that difficult to do apparently and doesn't require the removal of the steering column…. Just the lower column covering and the modification of an Allen wrench (shortening) to loosen the appropriate bolt(s).

The trick that I use in the warmer months (I have "04 3.0I) is to put the AC on adjusted 1/2 feet and 1/2 cabin…. I run with it set at 20 Celsius….

You can play around with the settings for temperature …position… etc. Might not work if you are in really hot weather but it works well enough in less extreme heat conditions.

I have arthritis so, fitting myself upside down in the drivers footwell to struggle and loosen said "bolt" isn't happening. I've owned the car 8 years and once I discovered the trick I use, I haven't had an issue in warmer months like I did originally.

I actually have the reverse condition…. Using the car in the colder months with cabin heat directed towards the feet causes the sticky steering situation for me.

Hope this helps….

You can google ….z4 sticky steering … for articles. I would not suggest using the drill/inject grease method. While some individuals state it's solved their problem…. It really isn't a cure and doesn't guarantee results…. Not to mention the danger of metal filings being potentially introduced into the gear mechanism.
      08-30-2022, 07:05 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Last edited by Huz-Z; 08-30-2022 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00
      08-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Much better than the original fix of drilling into the column and putting a grease fitting in.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 06:17 PM   #5
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the pics…. Might have to attempt it.

Do you have the TIS number for the procedure? Not showing in the picture and I want to look it up and see what else it says.
      08-31-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

No but I’ll try to get it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:42 AM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Do you have the TIS number for the procedure? Not showing in the picture and I want to look it up and see what else it says.
There is no real TIS number for it; it just says 3231..
Here you can find it in TIS (ISTA-D):

You must have an ISTA version later than 2012 or 2013. Around that time the procedure was developed/discovered/published on the german Z forum (yes, BMW apparently got it from there; in the first ISTAD versions I used this procedure wasn't in there )

BTW the document says: remove steering column; that isn't necessairy.
You need to remove the plastic panels that surround the steering column, but after that the allen screws are accesible. But they are tight.
Always make a test drive after the procedure. If the ring is rotated too much, you have too much steering assist, so somewhere there is a sweet spot.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-31-2022 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
wdb4732.00
      08-31-2022, 09:53 PM   #8
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks… actually bought ISTAD around 2017-2018 ish? when 3rd parties were selling the software….but hadn't delved into looking for that procedure. Going to have to pull out the laptop I've got it installed on and check to see if my copy has the info.

This is actually the first time that I'm aware of that it's mentioned in the forums that you can look it up on ISTAD….